Top 5 med school cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanosomic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what your pick and why. Include level of diversity, housing costs, hang out places, etc

Members don't see this ad.

1. Philly
2. SF
3. NYC
4. Atlanta
5. San Diego

New Orleans is awesome. Fun, great hospitals, lots of pathology, and did I mention, FUN!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) NY
2) NY
3) NY
4) NY
and last but not least,
5) NY

Originally posted by Columbia22
1) NY
2) NY
3) NY
4) NY
and last but not least,
5) NY

LOL, do i sense favoritism here. Do you got to P&S? I interviewed there, is traveling to and from lower Manhattan a pain? How is life in Washington Heights? How are the locals?

Coops

Not to sound *too* redundant, but NEW ORLEANS

HOUSTON! The 4th Largest City in the US!

Originally posted by tao of dao
HOUSTON! The 4th Largest City in the US!

and the second fattest city!

Houston! Are you INSANE? Houston sucks ass. The weather and traffic are freakin horrible. It feels like a sweaty armpit 11 months out of the year. It takes you 2 hours to get across the city. The crime is terrible. And here's the best part--Houston is one of the fattest cities in America. So much for hot dates as a med student. Ha! Houston. Now that's funny.

awww miss michigan. you must want to freeze into an icecube in michigan?! for your information, chicago is the city with the highest murder rate, and if you can't give houston a fair chance, i won't give michigan one either :p

in no particular order....

NYC
Chicago
Washington DC
San Francisco
Boston

Members don't see this ad :)
Philly because UPenn is there! :love: :love:

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but NEW ORLEANS!

I'm shameless, yes

SEATTLE! Yeah, the weather sucks 8 months out of the year, but it's completely worth it!

This would be good for a poll. Maybe put the top few in. Philly, NYC, SF, and whatever that Texas city was.

I think most, except the NYC loyalists, Californians, & Suth'nah's, would agree that Philly is the #1 place to be for a med student.

The poll is up. Now go vote.

1. Los Angeles, of course.
2. SF
3. San Diego
4. Irvine
5. Davis

No, I am not biased :laugh:.

Originally posted by scota
1. Los Angeles, of course.
2. SF
3. San Diego
4. Irvine
5. Davis

No, I am not biased :laugh:.

diff'rent strokes

1. la
2. sandy eggo
3. sf
4. irvine
5. davis

Originally posted by elias514
Houston! Are you INSANE? Houston sucks ass. The weather and traffic are freakin horrible. It feels like a sweaty armpit 11 months out of the year. It takes you 2 hours to get across the city. The crime is terrible. And here's the best part--Houston is one of the fattest cities in America. So much for hot dates as a med student. Ha! Houston. Now that's funny.

Houston isnt bad at all, most people who diss it dont know crap about it and havent been there. First off, it takes 2 hours to get across the city because its huge. If you drove during rush hour, then thats your own fault. I love how someone near DETROIT is trying to tell me that Houston has a lot of crime. Detroit has the most crime in the US by far. There's a reason RoboCop takes place there. For example: http://www.morganquitno.com/cit04pop.htm Houston's crime is not bad compared to most other major cities. Not the best, but on average. Not NEARLY has terrible as Detroit though.

And to elias514 who says that Houston is the fattest city and there are no hot chicks, you dont know WTF you are talking about. First off, Detroit (the city next to, umm, a certain school you are attending) is the fattest city now. So I guess that means there are NO hot chicks in Ann Arbor (basically a suburb of Detroit, and considered part of the same metroplex) by your standards? Your logic made no sense in terms of Houston, and it makes no sense for Detroit either.

And yeah the summers are hot and humid, but the cost of living is decent (you dont have to be ridiculously rich just to get by as in some other med school locations). Plus, its called air conditioning. Ill take that any day of the week over the freezing cold.

Oh yeah, and southern belles. You can keep the cold and obese dates you so desire elias514 and take them out in the most dangerous city in the US, Ill stick with the southern belles wearing tank tops year round. Woot.

New York, New York. What could beat living at the unsaid capitol of the world for four years? San Fran, LA, and Atlanta are all fun too.

tf

I'll throw in my vote for Miami. Good nightlife, great beaches. What more do you need?

Isn't anyone interested in a smaller community?

I live in the suburbs of Chicago now and want nothing more than to get away from the rat race.

I'm sure part of my reasoning is that I have two small children...school districts aren't so great in the big cities. Just my opinion:)

Gleevec mentioned "southern belles"...lol...you have to be kidding. The girls I saw there (while not bad looking...the girls at College Station were actually pretty attractive..dumb as bricks...but attractive) would still PALE in comparison to most girls from Los Angeles. This state really has nothing to offer to anyone unless you're a fellow "suthernerr." I haven't been to that many other southern states outside of Texas, so I can only speculate about the trash there. I imagine it can't be pretty...

That said....this is my list...

1) New York City (Columbia, Cornell-Weill, and a few other med schools are in the vicinity of this huge metropolis...public transportation is GREAT and the chicks I saw in Manhatten were pretty darn hot). The "city that never sleeps" has 24-hour subways with plenty of restaurants, bars, clubs, and other hotspots that are open 24/7 or just close very very late. If you're a night owl (like me), this is the city for you. The metropolitan area is just "alive"....hustle and bustle like you've never seen before.

2) Chicago (Univ. of Chicago and Northwestern...both in the city...decent public transportation (the EL) but Hyde Park isn't pretty so stay away if you can...if you're an undergrad at U of C..you basically have no choice) The winters can be pretty brutal so pack your warm clothes. The suburbs of this great city are absolutely beautiful...I particularly enjoyed my stay in Winnetka, Glenoaks, Addison, and Hillside. If you're worried about crime, just stay out of the metro area at night...use your common sense...hell..buddy system if you have to.

3) Los Angeles (UCLA-Geffen and USC-Keck)...nothing more needs to be said...beautiful beaches, Malibu, HOT girls in santa monica, beverly hills, bel air, encino, and plenty of other hotspots...pretty horrible public transportation so you'll have to shell out the cash for a car...but UCLA-Geffen is a great school at a great price for an in-stater. Great nightlife with all the bars, clubs, and hotspots you could ask for. Venice beach is awesome...hell..practically all the beaches are awesome. Warning: You may want to pick up a little spanish before you arrive...
Warning#2: USC is in the ghetto...Keck is a GREAT school and it would be an honor and a privilege attending that institution. However, if you are lucky enough to be admitted...be sure to pack a kevlar jacket, a GAT/glock/38-caliber, emergency medical kits should be in your apartment (if you live on MLK street...may God help you) and in your car. You may also want to put LAPD on speed dial...

4) San Francisco (UCSF)...this school is a powerhouse in medicine and the city is pretty cool...public transportation is pretty good (the BART) and the city has some lively hotspots with good nightlife. If you enjoy an alternative lifestyle, there are plenty of opportunities for you to meet folks with the same lifestyle here. Also...if you lean left politically..THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU. Warning: COST OF LIVING HERE is probably the HIGHEST in the country. A 1 bedroom apartment routinely sells for over $2000/month in the city. Hell..even in the City of Berkeley...one bedroom apts are $1,200+/month.

5) Philadelphia (Univ. of PA) ...only been here once when I was in 8th grade so I don't even remember much...but I do remember that it's a historical city and visiting the Liberty Bell was pretty cool... I hear great things about the city from friends at UPenn so I can only speculate...feel free to fill me in on this one if ya want.

6) Washington DC (Georgetown and George Washington Univ.)...pretty cool town if you're into majestic, greek-style buildings (The Hill). Walking around "the mall" was also pretty cool. Personally, I have a softspot for G-town so call me biased...but I enjoyed my stay in this city very much and thought it had lots to offer (even for the non-politics-junkies).

Gleevec, I've lived in Austin for 4 years and I've been to Houston several times. My family lives there, and I've spent quite a bit of time there. What planet are you from? The city sucks, man. My girlfriend lived there for 10 years and even she says it sucks ass. For Christ's sake, the traffic congestion is bad on Sundays! What the hell is up with that?

I don't know how you can simply dismiss the humidity factor in Houston. Air conditioning isn't going to save you, bud. It really does feel like a freakin armpit, especially in the summertime. Have you lived in Texas during the summer? If you haven't, you're in for a quite a surprise. I remember when I moved to Austin in August of 1999...I thought I was going to die of dehydration. Texas summers are brutal, and the 100% humidity in Houston just makes the heat worse. My girlfriend's parents have lived in Houston for 10 years, and they still can't stand the summers in Houston because of the damn humidity. (BTW: the summer in Texas is pretty much a 5-6 month phenomenon. You get scorchers well into October.)

Why in the hell does Baylor and the TMC have to be in Houston? Can't they relocate to Austin?

Oh, and one more thing, I won't argue with your point that Detroit is worse than Houston. Detroit is the worst city in the United States. I feel sorry for the people who live there. God that place sucks. But Ann Arbor rocks, man! It really does. Ask anybody who has lived in Ann Arbor. It's a great place to live, the frigid winters notwithstanding. A friend of mine is a grad student up there, and he absolutely loves it. As far as girls go, there are plenty of hotties up there--I mean gorgeous women. I myself saw them when I interviewed on Halloween. All of the cuties were out on the town that night.

But I still don't understand why in the hell Baylor and the TMC have to be in Houston. I think they ought to relocate to Austin, because Austin is da sheee*t! Anyone who knocks Austin has never lived here. It truly is a great place. Music capital of the world. 300 days of sunshine every year. The hill country is beautiful. I hope to come back here to practice medicine. I love it here. (BTW: according to Playboy, UT Austin has the most beautiful girls)

Since when can you equate someone's accent with their intelligence? Simply because you think Southern accents necessitate stupidity doesn't mean that's the way it is. By the way, New York is behind Texas in the percentage of high school freshmen graduating, and California isn't far ahead it Texas in this category. Your post was so full of century old stereotypes and complete ignorance that it is hardly worth considering.

One other thing: Ann Arbor is one of the safest places in the United States. That's a fact. Look it up.

Originally posted by Hallm_7
Since when can you equate someone's accent with their intelligence? Simply because you think Southern accents necessitate stupidity doesn't mean that's the way it is. By the way, New York is behind Texas in the percentage of high school freshmen graduating, and California isn't far ahead it Texas in this category. Your post was so full of century old stereotypes and complete ignorance that it is hardly worth considering.

Ok...you really need to take a class on reading comprehension. Where in the post did I say that a "southern accent necessitates stupidity"?? Can you point it out for me? I just said that I FIND THEM annoying. I'm expressing my personal opinion here...not a hard fact. I'll agree that I shouldn't generalize to everyone in the state (because...statistically...that's just wrong), but I'll have to say that the majority of the people I CAME INTO contact with there really did not sound educated (after having CONVERSATIONS with them). As for New York being behind Texas in the percentage of high school freshman graduating...umm...again...let me clarify...I'm NOT GENERALIZING for 100% of the population...just the folks I came into contact with. I'm sure there are plenty of bright kids there (and I feel sorry that they have to live in that hellhole). Now just take some deep breaths...and try formulating clear, coherent statements supported with evidence (that is...qoute me somewhere if you'd like to refute me).

Uhh, there are nice parts of each city and there are bad parts. The fact that BerkeleyPremed and elias have a hard time realizing that different med schools are located in different parts of cities is quite unfortunate. Because just as Ann Arbor is a "nice" part of the Detroit metropolis, West University in Houston is a "nice" part of Houston, if not the nicest.

And BerkeleyPremed, seriously, chill out. There's an insane amount of stress inherent in each of your posts. Its just a messageboard, not something to get worked up over. No need to get worked up about it.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Uhh, there are nice parts of each city and there are bad parts. The fact that BerkeleyPremed and elias have a hard time realizing that different med schools are located in different parts of cities is quite unfortunate. Because just as Ann Arbor is a "nice" part of the Detroit metropolis, West University in Houston is a "nice" part of Houston, if not the nicest.

And BerkeleyPremed, seriously, chill out. There's an insane amount of stress inherent in each of your posts. Its just a messageboard, not something to get worked up over. No need to get worked up about it.

Sorry for flying off the handle man. I'm sure you've encountered this before too...i just don't like it when people put words in my mouth. Won't happen again...take it easy.

Respectfully,
BP

P.S.: Let it never be said that I do not have respect for the older, wiser members of the SDN. :)

Berkley,
I'm Sorry if I put words in your mouth that you didn't mean. I'm not even from Texas or the deep south, but I have several friends who are. They may talk with a thick southern drawl, but they are just as intelligent as someone who speaks with a northern accent. You did say the state was full of uneducated hicks. While there are some there, as in every state in the US, that definitely is not the majority of the state. I assumed you thought having a southern accent as well as wearing a cowboy hat and listening to Garth Brooks makes someone a *****. (I've never worn a cowboy hat and I hate country, btw) Maybe I was wrong in that assumption.

Anyway, now to my opinion on great med school cities.

1.) NYC (this is ignoring the cost of living--cultural attractions, diversity, and being the greatest city in the world make it my number one choice)
2.) Chicago--(The only city I've been to which comes close to NYC as far as downtown activities and cultural possibilities.)
3.) Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (never been here, but I hear it is amazing. Close to the beach, very young populations, good climate, low cost of living, great schools and academic setting)
4.) Denver (I don't know how anyone could be unhappy living in Denver--great city with unlimited outdoor activities.)
5.) San Francisco & Miami--(This is a tie for me.)

Originally posted by drlexygoat
I'll throw in my vote for Miami. Good nightlife, great beaches. What more do you need?

Miami Rocks...South Beach, Grove, beaches, hot guys..ummmm

Viva La Salsa:love:

Originally posted by TravellinDoc
SEATTLE! Yeah, the weather sucks 8 months out of the year, but it's completely worth it!

I second the motion. On the opposite extreme, Honolulu, HI doesn't seem so bad.

NY is the bomb, and im not only saying that b/c i have spent my entire life here...
someone told me that 40% of all doctors train in this area, either school or residency or fellowship.. (its possible i have the # wrong, but it must be pretty dam close to that considering all the schools and hospitals we have)

i cannot possibly live in a place where the bars close at 2am. that's when i am just getting started! it's a shame we lost most of our clubs that closed at sunrise, i miss getting home from Tunnel at noon :) man those were the days! lol
i just spent a week in boston, and it totally reminds me of a mini-NY, it pretty much has all the same neighborhoods, just smushed together in walking distance, which is necessary since PT sucks ass there, and it always seems to be 10 degrees colder than NY, which also sucks since it is freezing here. but i do like boston, it still feels like a city to me, which is something i need desperately. philly is ok too, but nothing compares to NY.

for the person who asked about washington heights... it blows that p&s is up there, when the undergrad campus is so nice (both campuses sort of sandwich harlem). it is not the nicest place to live, a little less expensive than most of the city, its a long-ass ride on the 1 train up there, and a bitch to get to from anywhere but the west side... but columbia owns so much **** up there that you will most likely live with other columbia people in a columbia building with columbia security so its not soo bad. and there must be tons of trauma in the ER.

I <3 NY

1. NYC
2. SF
3. Chicago
4. Philly
5. Atlanta

I'm trying to decide between GW and Jefferson. I love the cosmopolitan atmosphere of DC, but the cheap housing in Philly is hard to ignore. For those of you who are putting Phily way up there on your lists, can you give me some reasons why? I just don't know the city well and need some words of wisdom!

Location/fun/etc wise :

1. NYC
2. SFO
3. Boston
4. Chicago
5. LA

Cost of living / every day expenses :

Most of the urban areas of the midwest.

I think overall i would say that Chicago wins the place for best city. Although very cold the cost of living in Chicago vs NYC/SFO is much better and there are plenty of great things to do. Food is awesome, lots of concerts, arts , etc and you can have a great apt without having to sell your sould to the devil for rent money :) .

BerkeleyPremed,

Oh, come on. I go to UCLA and live near USC, and it is not as bad as people say. When people disparage the neighborhood near USC, they often forget that *real* people live there too! Not all of us who live in the "ghetto" are gun-keeping drug dealers. People who make such comments, in my opinion, have such a provincial perspective of the world that they have no place in medicine! And you know, even though UCLA is in a "good" neighborhood, students have been kidnapped and murdered.

What I love is all the people talk about USC being in the ghetto, but they don't even realize the med school is 10 miles away. Granted, it's East LA, which isn't to much better than undergrad, but the undergrad isn't in that bad a place IMHO.

Originally posted by Hallm_7
3.) Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (never been here, but I hear it is amazing. Close to the beach, very young populations, good climate, low cost of living, great schools and academic setting)

Aww yeah. I was wondering when the triangle would get some love.

To the poster who claimed SF was the most expensive city to live in... I have to disagree. I've lived in both NYC and SF, and here were the scenarios... in NYC, I lived in a hell-hole studio on 76th and 2nd above two bars (think karaoke every Thurs night) with a horrible winter draft and crooked floors and even a RODENT for 1200 a month. The cost to by a MTA pass (subway, bus) was approx $65 a month. In SF, I lived in a house in the Richmond district (Balboa and 12th Ave) with three other girls... for 700 a month, I had the master bedroom in this beautiful home. The MUNI pass for an adult was $30 a month, but I got it for $8 because I could just barely pass for age 17 at 22 :)
And have I *mentioned* Trader Joe's? Got to be the best supermarket I've ever been to, hands down.. and cheap! And I've only seen it on the west coast. It's all about finding the deals....

Originally posted by elias514
Gleevec, I've lived in Austin for 4 years and I've been to Houston several times. My family lives there, and I've spent quite a bit of time there. What planet are you from? The city sucks, man. My girlfriend lived there for 10 years and even she says it sucks ass. For Christ's sake, the traffic congestion is bad on Sundays! What the hell is up with that?

I don't know how you can simply dismiss the humidity factor in Houston.
While I will agree with you that Houston night life isn't that fabulous (partly due in fact that it is spread out all over) I will say, why is there any reason to get on a big highway during rush hour when you are in med school? The only time I get on a highway is to go to another city, everything you need is within a 15-20 minute radius, and I usually don't go farther than 10 minutes. The highways are where the traffic is bad, the TMC is next to the second nicest area of town, the first being River Oaks. And holy sh1t, there are some really hot girls (and guys) in my class.

Oh, and while Houston is humid, it isn't that bad. Its dry compared to New Orleans. When I first moved here my nose got cracked and dry in the middle of summer. :laugh:

and New Orleans is amazing, better than Austin is what I've heard from people who have lived both places ;) though Austin is a much better place to settle than New Orleans.

Well, New Orleans is less humid than Colombia, but that doesn't make New Orleans a "dry" city by any means. Look, even though I've bashed Houston, I still think that it's an alright city for med school. The TMC is phenomenal. The area around the med schools is really nice. The fact that it's warm 11 months out of the year is definitely a positive. But I still strongly dislike the humidity (especially in the summer), crime, and traffic (which is ridiculous with all of the freakin construction downtown right now).