Top 5 Osteopathic schools and dual programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LauraFairlie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello~!
Can anyone list the top 5 Osteopathic schools in the US? I've been searching the internet for such info, but no luck. Also, I've been interested with DO/MBA program lately. Anyone familiar with this or have an interest in this dual program? Lastly, I'll be applying to both allopathic and osteopathic...is there something that osteopathic requires, but is not required in allopathic? I've read that osteopathic requires a letter of recommendation from a DO, but I don't think it applies to all schools. I've asked these questions to my pre-health advisor, but she told me to post them on SDN b/c she wasn't sure how to answer them. hahaha. So I'd appreciate any advice I can get from here. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone list the top 5 Osteopathic schools in the US?

Sure

1. PCOM
2. MSUCOM
3. NYCOM
4. CCOM
5. DMUCOM

Anyone who tells you otherwise is flat out wrong. Good luck.

Hello~!
Can anyone list the top 5 Osteopathic schools in the US?

Yes, it's true. Due to the freedoms we have in American anyone at all can list the top 5 osteopathic schools. They can list them on paper, by email, on the radio, and on the TV. They can draw them with chalk on the sidewalk, paint them on the side of their house, scrawl them in blood after committing multiple murders, and carve them into the jailhouse wall with a spoon (very slow process). They can shout them in public at the mall, advertise them from a sky-writing plane, post them on a billboard, and put them up in lights in Times-Square. They can "build" them like sand castles at the beach, scrawl them in the margins of the US Constitution, float them like confetti in a ticker-tape parade, or pee them into new-fallen snow.

Ummmm...did I forget to mention that it really doesn't matter how and where they list them, since there is no actual requirement that the list be correct. Correctness isn't a requirement in America unless you are talking about being politically correct. One more note...about that US Constitution thing-- you might have to spend some time in jail if you do it that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's true. Due to the freedoms we have in American anyone at all can list the top 5 osteopathic schools...there is no actual requirement that the list be correct. Correctness isn't a requirement in America unless you are talking about being politically correct.

:lol:

I must say that really made my day. (The whole post, not just what was listed above.) I think it's a great way to break up the feeling of monotony / tension / anticipation / etc. that has been a part of this forum, as of late. Kudos to you!

Correctness isn't a requirement in America unless you are talking about being politically correct.

Political correctness is ruining society

All DO/MBA programs ARE NOT made equal. Check some of the posts in this forum and the MBA forum.

To the original poster - as for TOP 5 schools, everyone has their own opinion based on different things. The more established schools tend to have a better reputation than the newer schools but that doesn't make them any better in some regards. Go to a school that you are interested in that you feel will have the right fit. I disgree with JP's Top 5 for various reasons which I'm sure some other would disagree with my top 5, etc. Every person has different insight and noone has attended all of the osteopathic schools to be able to look at them on a level playing field. This issue has been beaten to death by new users who think with the likemindness that osteopathic schools have rankings like US News. There are NO ranking systems in place for osteopathic schools alone. Some are ranked highly for primary care physicians or rural physicians. Others aren't mentioned anywhere but are fantastic schools.

Summary: There is no master list of top school so don't bother asking. I think this issue needs to be made into the sticky of "read before posting".

Many schools are offering joint programs ing MHA, MBA, MPH, PhD, MS in other science areas, etc. If you are asking for a comprehensive list, I know of none that is available but I would be willing to work on a resource of that nature if there is a great interest in it.

I'm not worried; I know the quality of my school. I am just amused at your perceptions and how sure you are of yourself and how sure you are that everyone that disagrees is wrong. You must be a surgeon

I'm not worried; I know the quality of my school. I am just amused at your perceptions and how sure you are of yourself and how sure you are that everyone that disagrees is wrong. You must be a surgeon

You apparently missed the sarcasm in my initial post.

Sometimes I need to spell it out for the older folks. Their neurons dont fire as fast. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking into a lot of DO/MBA program. The KCUMB one seems the most appealing thus far. I also like PCOMs DO/PhD in Health Policy, after getting an MPH I am really interested in health care policy and reform.

JP-do you know of anyone or a good resourse to learn more about this program?

DMU finally made JP's top 5 list? How'd that happen?

Yes, it's true. Due to the freedoms we have in American anyone at all can list the top 5 osteopathic schools. They can list them on paper, by email, on the radio, and on the TV. They can draw them with chalk on the sidewalk, paint them on the side of their house, scrawl them in blood after committing multiple murders, and carve them into the jailhouse wall with a spoon (very slow process). They can shout them in public at the mall, advertise them from a sky-writing plane, post them on a billboard, and put them up in lights in Times-Square. They can "build" them like sand castles at the beach, scrawl them in the margins of the US Constitution, float them like confetti in a ticker-tape parade, or pee them into new-fallen snow.

Ummmm...did I forget to mention that it really doesn't matter how and where they list them, since there is no actual requirement that the list be correct. Correctness isn't a requirement in America unless you are talking about being politically correct. One more note...about that US Constitution thing-- you might have to spend some time in jail if you do it that way.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbup: that was a good laugh. awesome post.

I am looking into a lot of DO/MBA program. The KCUMB one seems the most appealing thus far. I also like PCOMs DO/PhD in Health Policy, after getting an MPH I am really interested in health care policy and reform.

JP-do you know of anyone or a good resourse to learn more about this program?

I would suggest contacting the school directly...the admissions office...and asking them to send you more information about the programs.

I would be sure to look into the following things:
- What other school are you going to be working with
- Is there a focus of the MBA/PhD/MPH degree
- What time committments are there
- How does the extra coursework affect my med school schedule

Thanks Everyone!! I didn't know there was no list at all for Osteopathic. I just assumed that there would be since it seems like there is a definate (or as assigned by US News) list for allopathic schools. Well, since ranking isn't an importance, I'll stop considering this fact when choosing schools. I guess I'll just look into schools with dual programs and hopefully get into one near home (my family is #1 importance to me). Thanks again for your info!!

I just assumed that there would be since it seems like there is a definate (or as assigned by US News) list for allopathic schools.

If you look at the US News lists, you'll see the Osteopathic schools are listed in the list beside the allopathic schools.

I would suggest contacting the school directly...the admissions office...and asking them to send you more information about the programs.

I would be sure to look into the following things:
- What other school are you going to be working with
- Is there a focus of the MBA/PhD/MPH degree
- What time committments are there
- How does the extra coursework affect my med school schedule

Thanks for the info JP. Will be calling PCOM this week :luck:

Sure

1. PCOM
2. MSUCOM
3. NYCOM
4. CCOM
5. DMUCOM

Anyone who tells you otherwise is flat out wrong. Good luck.

i have to disagree with you jp, usually you are on the spot with issues but this one is not quite...

See my post #7 and DVN's post #14. :D

Besides, it doesn't need to be cited because we all know that it is the best school in the universe. ;) :D :cool:

:D Seems like KCUMB flies under the radar a lot of times due to the PCOM/DMU love fest on SDN. Sometimes it grosses me out. :laugh:

:D Seems like KCUMB flies under the radar a lot of times due to the PCOM/DMU love fest on SDN. Sometimes it grosses me out. :laugh:

Yeah, I know what you mean, and I sometimes think that, too. However, taking a hint from the Geto Boys, we don't need to "flex nuts" because we know we've "got 'em." ;) :thumbup:

i have to disagree with you jp, usually you are on the spot with issues but this one is not quite...

I was joking with the "i am right, you are wrong" comment.

Those are 5 of the better DO schools IMO. Perhaps not the best, but definately near the top

I was joking with the "i am right, you are wrong" comment.

Those are 5 of the better DO schools IMO. Perhaps not the best, but definately near the top

In your opinion, where then would a school like KCUMB fall on your list?

In your opinion, where then would a school like KCUMB fall on your list?

Cant help you

Every time I give my opinion I get a dozen PMs

Half the people want me to rank their school and the other half tell me Im wrong.

Doesnt make much of a difference now, youre starting there in the fall

If this is any indication...the 2 PCOM chief surgical residents are both from KCUMB, and both are starting Plastic Surgery fellowships in July

Cant help you

If this is any indication...the 2 PCOM chief surgical residents are both from KCUMB, and both are starting Plastic Surgery fellowships in July

No worries you answered my question without even knowing it. :D

OSUCOM is pretty good too