Top 5 osteopathic schools in terms of USMLE pass rates and residency match rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotGoblinsales10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to assume that the osteopathic schools with the highest accepted mcat average have the highest pass rates. So anyone know where this information is available?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, USMLE data isn't published for DO programs.

That said, I'd imagine it loosely tracks with COMLEX pass rates. I understand the exams are kinda different, but it stands to reason that if you can't get your students to pass COMLEX, they probably aren't passing USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I know, USMLE data isn't published for DO programs.

That said, I'd imagine it loosely tracks with COMLEX pass rates. I understand the exams are kinda different, but it stands to reason that if you can't get your students to pass COMLEX, they probably aren't passing USMLE.

Sucks! I'm sure it loosely tracks with COMLEX pass rates, but probably not a 1:1 correlation (e.g someone who barely passed COMLEX fails USMLE 1). Do you have an official link of school rankings by COMLEX pass rates ('official' meaning from either the AOA or AACOM)

How about residency or competitive residency? match rates

Members don't see this ad :)
Sucks! I'm sure it loosely tracks with COMLEX pass rates, but probably not a 1:1 correlation (e.g someone who barely passed COMLEX fails USMLE 1). Do you have an official link of school rankings by COMLEX pass rates ('official' meaning from either the AOA or AACOM)

How about residency or competitive residency? match rates

Most schools publish both match lists and COMLEX pass rates on their website (not sure if they're required to or they elect to). I'm not aware of a centralized database though. You'd have to google each one and compare.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to assume that the osteopathic schools with the highest accepted mcat average have the highest pass rates. So anyone know where this information is available?
It's not available. Only this year, my school stared getting data from NBME on how our kids did.

The COMs are now required to publish first time COMLEX pass rates on thier websites (I don't know about median scores thought). However, most schools make it fiendishly difficult to find this info.

This info doesn't exist, however the schools that typically do the best on boards are TCOM, RVU, and KCU in no particular order. PCOM is a top notch program. I would consider the state schools as the best for getting into a competitive residency because of their many connections, followed by PCOM and two of the three mentioned above (TCOM is a state school).

Reactions: 1 users
This info doesn't exist, however the schools that typically do the best on boards are TCOM, RVU, and KCU in no particular order. PCOM is a top notch program. I would consider the state schools as the best for getting into a competitive residency because of their many connections, followed by PCOM and two of the three mentioned above (TCOM is a state school).
Question for you kind of related to what you just said: what is your opinion on the PCOM-GA branch campus? Is it as good as main PCOM?

I interviewed at RVU and also have an interview lined up at PCOM-GA. I'm wondering if I should attend it if I should be fortunate enough to get accepted to RVU. You always seem knowledgable about all things DO :rofl:

Following as I’m deciding between school x and y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd have to research each school to see if they post this info. Sometimes you have to dig deep to find it. Anecdotally, MSUCOM, DMUCOM, and KCUCOM all boasted about their high match rates (DMUCOM's was 100%, I believe) and board scores when I interviewed at them.

Question for you kind of related to what you just said: what is your opinion on the PCOM-GA branch campus? Is it as good as main PCOM?

I interviewed at RVU and also have an interview lined up at PCOM-GA. I'm wondering if I should attend it if I should be fortunate enough to get accepted to RVU. You always seem knowledgable about all things DO :rofl:

I actually have a classmate, we did our masters together at PCOM GA, and he chose RVU over PCOM-GA. I can reach out to him if you want, to see why he chose one over the other. Just PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
what is your opinion on the PCOM-GA branch campus? Is it as good as main PCOM?

It is a good school, but I don't put it in the same category as PCOM main. Between those two I personally would go with RVU.

Reactions: 1 users
PCOM-PA has an 100% match rate, a direct 50/50 split between AoA and MD residencies(not that it will matter for us) and some pretty competitive specialties overall. Additionally, it matches or beats the national passing % usually.