Top 5 UCs for premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which UC schools would u consider the best for premeds (undergrad)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA, then perhaps CAL but thats about it.

UCLA has the most people applying to med school out of any school in the country. i think they also have the highest number of people matriculating.

Ucla
Ucb (cal)
Ucsd
Ucd

i'm applying to:

1. UCLA
2. UC Berkeley
3. UC Davis
4. UC Irvine
5. UC San Diego

in order or preference. i was wondering how other people ranked the UCs.

i didn't know it was also referred to as cal. anyone know why?

probably due to a nickname given in sports...Cal Bears. We always attempt to formulate nicknames that are shorter than the actual name. Since saying UCB does not sound as cool (or natural) as saying UCLA or USC (or SC), I think sports casters and sports fanatics adopted the nickname in place of the actual name.

It was the original University of CALifornia, and I think the name stuck even as more UCs were founded.

yea, i thought the same thing as fujiapple

Members don't see this ad :)

i didnt know it for the longest time either.. and i attend a cal state. making it more confusing :p

yea, i thought the same thing as fujiapple

It is for that reason if I remember correctly. UCB was the first UC, hence only Berkeley having the nickname Cal for U. of CALifornia. Personally I don't use it much since most people that aren't from that area or that school won't recognize the name as easily as Berkeley.

Actually, most non-CA residents I've met refer to the school as Cal since that's how sports broadcasters refer to it on national TV.

Actually, most non-CA residents I've met refer to the school as Cal since that's how sports broadcasters refer to it on national TV.

That may be the region...I've always heard it as Berkeley......but I knew of all the branch campuses and that just confused me.

It's been called Cal because it was the first of the University of California schools.

I was surprised to see that on the AAMC data for class 2006 that UCSB had so many applicants. A guy I went to HS with graduated from 'SB and is a Yale MD/PhD now...

I was surprised to see that on the AAMC data for class 2006 that UCSB had so many applicants. A guy I went to HS with graduated from 'SB and is a Yale MD/PhD now...

Berkely (I call the school Berkeley, but use Cal when referring to athletics) is over UCLA, but not by too much, depending on department. UCSB is known as somewhat of a party school. They indeed pump out some very succesfull grads (and Jack Johnson!) but there's still the rep to contend with.

Cal is by far the best UC

Berkely (I call the school Berkeley, but use Cal when referring to athletics) is over UCLA, but not by too much, depending on department. UCSB is known as somewhat of a party school. They indeed pump out some very succesfull grads (and Jack Johnson!) but there's still the rep to contend with.

Depending on what department? Are you kidding me? I doubt UCLA has as many top science programs as Cal.
Look at Cal's graduate programs most are Top 5 and many are the top 1 or 2 in the nation. If you want options there is no better University than Cal. It will get you where you want to be as long as you are willing to work for it.

I'm a fourth year at Cal, and from talking to my friends at other UC's, Cal's definitly got some of the most challenging and well-taught science courses. It's a great program if you want a quality, challenging education. But just beware that it's probably also easier to maintain a high GPA at other UCs, just fyi.

Depending on what department? Are you kidding me? I doubt UCLA has as many top science programs as Cal.
Look at Cal's graduate programs most are Top 5 and many are the top 1 or 2 in the nation. If you want options there is no better University than Cal. It will get you where you want to be as long as you are willing to work for it.

Alright Berkeley kids, didn't mean to insult your egos. The "depending on department" comment was more to mean, that for some things Berkeley is somewhat better than UCLA. For other departments, there is no comparison (Anthropology, for instance, blows away almost every other program in the country). Calm down and take deep breaths, no one was trying to take away your title as the best UC (your assertion as the best University is suspect however).

I DESPISE these kinds of threads. If you do well in ANY UC, you will be competitive enough to get into medical school, of course if you have the other ingredients in your application.

From what I've heard, some school's adcoms do weigh equivalent gpa (in the same major) from UCB, UCLA, and maybe UCSD more favorably than gpa from the other UC's. But that's a tiny teeny advantage.

excuuuuuuuuuuse me, but UCSD is the best!

Which school is the best tends to be highly subjective, but if you're interested in the rankings, UC Berkeley is consistently ranked as the best public university in the country. UCLA is a little further down, followed by UCSD. But really ANY UC will give you a good education. Luckily, all you have to do is fill out a single application, so apply to all the ones you like, see which ones accept you, and go from there. If only the med school application process were so easy.

i'm applying to:

1. UCLA
2. UC Berkeley
3. UC Davis
4. UC Irvine
5. UC San Diego

in order or preference. i was wondering how other people ranked the UCs.

lol, if you're pre-med you'd gotta be nuts to go to davis or irvine over SD. I'm surprised SB has gotten so little love on this thread, i met TONS of UCSB grads interviewing at top schools but not really from irvine or davis. Of course, there is a bit of randomness that could skew this observation, but it was prominent enough for me to take note.

The obvious answer is the 5 UCs that have medical schools.

UCB(UCSF)
UCLA
UCSD
UCD
UCI

Having an affliated medical school is very helpful to a premed.

lol, if you're pre-med you'd gotta be nuts to go to davis or irvine over SD. I'm surprised SB has gotten so little love on this thread, i met TONS of UCSB grads interviewing at top schools but not really from irvine or davis. Of course, there is a bit of randomness that could skew this observation, but it was prominent enough for me to take note.
I'm going to have to say there's no significant benefit of going to UCSB in the application process.

I can see why some people prefer Irvine or Davis over San Diego. Somehow I hear a lot of people saying that San Diego is hard and the students there are usually unhappy/overstressed. So it is understandable someone would choose Irvine or Davis over SD. Plus, some people have family/significant others living in Irvine or Davis and rather go there more than SD. So don't call others nuts just because they don't agree with your preferences.

fyi the quarter system SUCKS!!!!!! Im at ucla and ill be one of the brave ones and say id rather be at a semester system like Cal. Honestly, it becomes a pain when you transfer units/try to complete premed reqs.

I can see why some people prefer Irvine or Davis over San Diego. Somehow I hear a lot of people saying that San Diego is hard and the students there are usually unhappy/overstressed. So it is understandable someone would choose Irvine or Davis over SD. Plus, some people have family/significant others living in Irvine or Davis and rather go there more than SD. So don't call others nuts just because they don't agree with your preferences.

UCSD is considered as a socially dead school. on weekends, most people on campus sit around studying. if you want a real party, you have to search for one (usually off campus). still, i wouldn't say it's impossible to do well in classes. it probably just takes a little more work than it would at irvine or davis. burn out is probably pretty common.

my opinion is extremely biased because i love UCSD. =)

I know, really. Jack Johnson! Parties on the beach! Why wouldn't a pre-med want to go there...

For the UC's, here's what my preference would be:

1. UC Berkeley (Don't love UCB's campus the most, but it is an amazing school!)
2. UCLA (But I personally HATE the location)
3. UCSB (Love the location. Nobel prizes in Chem and Physics. New buildings, too.)
4. UC Davis and UC San Diego
5. UC Irvine

UC Davis is an amazing school! I honestl recomend coming here!

which UC schools would u consider the best for premeds (undergrad)?

It's almost the exact same question if you take out "for premeds".
The schools are all different in their own ways. The ones with the strongest reputation, Cal, UCLA and UCSD are also pretty large, and it's easy to get lost among the sea of students in a classroom.
Also, pick a school based on your major - don't worry about what medical schools will think. I'm very sceptical about whether being a traditional applicant or not makes much of a difference to med schools.

The obvious answer is the 5 UCs that have medical schools.

UCB(UCSF)
UCLA
UCSD
UCD
UCI

Having an affliated medical school is very helpful to a premed.
UCSF is not Cal's med school. If you're using the logic of the UC's that have med schools, you'll need to drop Berkeley off the list. The only relationships they have between them are based on the fact that they're only 15 miles apart.

My $0.02...

The best UC for a premed will be the UC the premed will be most happy at. Folks that would be thrilled living at Davis for four years would not be thrilled living in Berkeley for four years. They are totally different social and educational environments.

Any of the UCs have the ability to give you a top notch science education if you take advantage of it. Your undergrad years boil down to a lot more than a BCPM GPA.

UCSF is not Cal's med school. If you're using the logic of the UC's that have med schools, you'll need to drop Berkeley off the list. The only relationships they have between them are based on the fact that they're only 15 miles apart.

You'll notice that every professional school UCB has UCSF does not and visa versa. Nursing, medicine, pharmacy, dental at UCSF, optometry and all else at UCB. They run the Joint Medical Prgoram for those interested. Plenty of Cal students take the short BART ride from downtown Berkeley to Mission Bay UCSF to do research.

While they are not officially affliated, I consider them de facto affiliated.

While they are not officially affliated, I consider them de facto affiliated.
All UCs cooperate and many have joint programs. I think it's a stretch to consider Cal and UCSF any closer related than any other two UCs that close geographically.

No biggie, but considering UCB to have a med school since it is near one is a bit of a stretch and not one the school would ever make.

Using that logic, you'd have to add UCR, since it's near UCLA. And in fact, UCR has a linikage program with UCLA as well.

All UCs cooperate and many have joint programs. I think it's a stretch to consider Cal and UCSF any closer related than any other two UCs that close geographically.

No biggie, but considering UCB to have a med school since it is near one is a bit of a stretch and not one the school would ever make.

Using that logic, you'd have to add UCR, since it's near UCLA. And in fact, UCR has a linikage program with UCLA as well.

Yeah but UCLA SOM already has UCLA undergrad to tap undergrad labor from. Where does UCSF SOM go when it wants some undergrads to wash the glassware? UCB.

If you learn the history of UCSF, youll realize that it was purchased by the University of California to be its medical campus. Subsequent UC's had to build their own medical campuses from scratch. That is short is why, for all intents and purposes, UCSF is cal's "medical school". And besides, there is the JMP UCSF/UCB program.

Also keep in mind that with the UCs, there's no such thing as "undergrad preference"; i.e. here at Duke SOM we have a crapload of people who went to Duke for undergrad whereas in the UCs that doesn't happen.

I would say the competitiveness at all UCs are about the same. No matter what school you go to, fighting for the top grades is going to be an uphill battle. Just know that you're going to need to be a around a 3-7-4.0, which is pretty much the top 10 percent of your class, give or take. And know, that since they are UCs, these ppl are pretty much smart. It's probably true that getting a 3.0 at SB is probably easier than getting it at Cal, but if you're aiming at a 3.7, it's pretty much difficult anywhere. There's pretty much an even distribution of competition at the top. And Adcoms know this.

im just gonna add that the competition in your BCMP classes will be stiffer at SD , Irvine, and Cal than at UCLA. UCLA is still really, really hard, but not the hardest.

One thing you might want to keep in mind with the UCs as well is that a) there are piles of pre-meds at all of them and b) this WILL f**k with the curve and therefore the difficulty you will have in GPA maintenance. For example, if you decide to go to UCLA, keep in mind that "physiological science" is THE hypercompetitive pre-med major, and it'll be damn tough to keep a competitive GPA if you do it. My advice is if you DO go to UCLA and you're a straight science kind of person do either MIMG or MCDB (both have great counselors, incidentally, and despite the fact that UCLA has no "pre-med" advisor officially, these two suffice) because while the material may be somewhat harder objectively, there's a fewer % of kids in them that are pre-med so once you hit the upper div classes (read: after orgo/biochem hell) the test averages drop from like 85% to like 67%. More than once I pulled an A with an average in the low 80s. (i.e. in MCDB144: Molecular Biology which was essentially MEMORIZE ALL OF THE PROTEINS INVOLVED WITH EVERY CELLULAR PROCESS AND KNOW HOW TO REGURGITATE THEM IN ORDER! Unpleasant. But special.)

If you learn the history of UCSF, youll realize that it was purchased by the University of California to be its medical campus. Subsequent UC's had to build their own medical campuses from scratch. That is short is why, for all intents and purposes, UCSF is cal's "medical school". And besides, there is the JMP UCSF/UCB program.
That's right. Cept irvine bought that DO school, lol.

UCSF Website said:
Meanwhile, the University of California moved from Oakland to its permanent campus at Berkeley in the summer of 1873. Negotiations for transfer of the medical school, however, were complicated by the University's unwillingness to accommodate Toland's demand that the medical school continue to bear his name.

In March 1873, the trustees deeded the Toland Medical College to the University Regents and the faculty minutes for the first time bore the heading, "The Medical Department of the University of California." R. Beverly Cole became the dean and twenty-seven students were enrolled in the first class.

University of California (Cal) purchased Toland medical school to be its medical campus in the last half of the 19th century. Toland medical school became "The Medical Department of the University of California." University of California became UC Berkeley and the Medical Department became UCSF in the 1950's.

History people, history!