Top 5 UCs for premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One thing you might want to keep in mind with the UCs as well is that a) there are piles of pre-meds at all of them and b) this WILL f**k with the curve and therefore the difficulty you will have in GPA maintenance. For example, if you decide to go to UCLA, keep in mind that "physiological science" is THE hypercompetitive pre-med major, and it'll be damn tough to keep a competitive GPA if you do it. My advice is if you DO go to UCLA and you're a straight science kind of person do either MIMG or MCDB (both have great counselors, incidentally, and despite the fact that UCLA has no "pre-med" advisor officially, these two suffice) because while the material may be somewhat harder objectively, there's a fewer % of kids in them that are pre-med so once you hit the upper div classes (read: after orgo/biochem hell) the test averages drop from like 85% to like 67%. More than once I pulled an A with an average in the low 80s. (i.e. in MCDB144: Molecular Biology which was essentially MEMORIZE ALL OF THE PROTEINS INVOLVED WITH EVERY CELLULAR PROCESS AND KNOW HOW TO REGURGITATE THEM IN ORDER! Unpleasant. But special.)

oh great. physiological science is my first choice major for UCLA. i've heard that UCSD is full of back-stabbing premeds. i've also heard that UC Merced, Santa Cruz, and even Santa Barbara are considered less reputable (no offense to anyone, just what i've heard).

thanks for so many replies. i'm a community college student with a 4.0 gpa and worried about switching over to a university, especially one with a quater system. i've come across a few premeds in my classes, but they are nowhere near as competitive as premeds are notorious for. from the things i have heard, premeds at the UCs can get pretty vicious.

i don't even feel like i've truly earned the 4.0 because of all the extra credit given in my classes and the fact that some teachers will give everybody extra points if the whole class did horribly or if the whole class could not finish the test in time. i don't think these things will happen at a UC. it sounds like the professors at the UCs (or any unversity for that matter) don't cut the students slack. not to mention the people making up the classes at my community college will be much different than the ones at the UCs. i'm used to being pretty much the only "gunner" in my classes, so i don't know how well i would do competing against a class full of gunners.

anyone who was a community college transfer have any experience with this?

it's hard to choose between the UCs. I wish i could actually take a few classes at each and really see how they compare.

one of the good things about berkeley is that it is on a semester system, but some people have warned me about it. they say berkeley is really "out there" and highly theoretical. some say they could totally picture me going to berkeley, while others say it's not the campus for me.

Members don't see this ad.

visit campuses...meet students...and see if you would want to go to school at a place like CAl...or UCLA...or wherever...