Top 5 vs MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwthrowthrowaway

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top 5 School
pros:
dream school
IS
family
cheaper
prestige
most opportunity
weather

cons:
LDR

MCW
pros:
SO of 4 years will be going here for school!
decent CA matching (and competitive)

cons:
weather
midwest
no family

Never been in LDR. Is it as bad as it sounds? I'm afraid I'm underestimating how hard LDR will be, but I know for a fact top 5 school will open so many doors.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A few important questions:
- what do you see yourself doing after residency? Academics? Primary care?
- is this SO someone you’re super serious about and you see yourself marrying?

Reactions: 1 user
A few important questions:
- what do you see yourself doing after residency? Academics? Primary care?
- is this SO someone you’re super serious about and you see yourself marrying?

-some very competitive specialties are on my radar. Not a life of academia per se, but I definitely want to do more than "practice medicine" (I hope to be involved in policy, education, etc. in the future).
-quite serious

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this question is impossible for us to answer for you. The top 5 school certainly has almost everything going for it. But only you know how much being with your SO will improve your happiness. People do LDRs but I feel like it must be really tough to not be able to see the other person often, especially since for you you would have had the choice to be with them and chose not to be.

For me - my happiness is the most important factor. But whether you would be happier at your dream school near family or with your SO - that's a question really only you can answer

Go to the T5 school. If you and your SO are that serious AND your SO is also going to medical school, they will surely understand your decision to live apart for 4 years

Or in other words, do whatever you would want your SO to do if they were in your situation

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should try and get MCW to give you a scholarship by name dropping the top 5 school. If they give you a full ride and your SO is there then that might be an easier decision to make.

Reactions: 3 users
Take the top 5 offer. Assuming you are serious with your SO, LDR is possible. I have done it for two years now. Four years out of forever is nothing in the long run. It helps if both are busy with school. Your partner should understand how great an opportunity it is for you.

Reactions: 1 users
MCW if you’re serious enough with your SO to get married someday, assuming things continue on the same trajectory. If there is literally any question whatsoever (be honest with yourself) about if you and that person want to be together for happily-ever-after, go with the top 5.