Top Canadian Med Schools vs US Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariambaby3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do top Canadian medical schools, such as University of Toronto, McGill, UBC, McMaster, compare to US medical schools in terms of quality and prestige?

If US News and Report ranked them along with the US ones, where would the Canadian schools stand?

If one wants to match and eventually work in the US, would it be more advantageous to graduate from a US medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian medical schools are well respected and similar in quality to US medical schools. I do believe it is easier to get into a US residency program as a US medical school graduate though.

How do the aforementioned Canadian schools compare to US News and Report Top 20 Research schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
QS, apparently some British company, does world university rankings. Their medical school rankings have Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, Stanford, and UCLA as the top 5. Highest Canadian school is Toronto at 14, then McGill at 26 and BC at 40, with McMaster coming in at 50. This ranking puts Toronto above.... MIT? Wait, what? :laugh:

MIT has a medical school. Wait, what? :laugh:

They are all good schools (US/Canada medical school) that prepare you well. However, note that:
- If you're not a Canadian citizen you will have a VERY hard time getting into a Canadian school
- Canada and US have different boards... although you can take either/both and go to either place for residency.
- If you do residency in US, you can practice in Canada without repeating residency (and vice versa).

Source: I am a McGill grad & I've worked with a fellow who did med school in US, then rad onc residency in Canada (he took both USMLA and Canadian boards), and now moved to US for a fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
QS, apparently some British company, does world university rankings. Their medical school rankings have Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, Stanford, and UCLA as the top 5. Highest Canadian school is Toronto at 14, then McGill at 26 and BC at 40, with McMaster coming in at 50. This ranking puts Toronto above.... MIT? Wait, what? :laugh:
I think MIT ends up in there based on medical research/physician scientist training... I prefer the Times Higher Education rankings, they are by far the most highly regarded university rankings in the world. Also, it's interesting to note how different the rankings of US schools can be in the Times vs US News because of their different methodologies and data sources. For instance, the Times ranks Tufts 49th in the world (49th on US News) while ranking Case Western 61st (23rd on US News). Crazy difference - which kinda goes to show that people shouldn't get overzealous about rankings.