• Ross University or LECOM

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters

gbabe

tally roight
Apr 7, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Whats up everyone? Ive recently been accepted to St. Georges University in Grenada as well as PCOM in Philly. Does anyone have thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of the two for the four years of Medical School and residency opportunities that follow.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you freakin' serious?

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
You have a US acceptance, and your still making a decision?

(disclaimer: I know nothing about PCOM, but would bet there isn't anything that would make me go out of the states with an acceptance there).

startswithb

Future Urologist
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a nightmare the other night that my brother was going to SGU and my parents were moving down there with him. I kept screaming "NO! Go DO!" and they wouldn't listen. The thing is, my brother is 19 and isn't even in college. Been on the board too long....

Aug 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I had a nightmare the other night that my brother was going to SGU and my parents were moving down there with him. I kept screaming "NO! Go DO!" and they wouldn't listen. The thing is, my brother is 19 and isn't even in college. Been on the board too long....
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I LOL'd

BenUstudent

BenUAlumni
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
OP's a troll
and if not have you considered a Nigerian or Bulgarian MD?

lastcall

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status
Is this thread a joke? You are crazy to even consider going to a Caribbean school when you have an acceptance here in the U.S.

SweetRain

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Here's the problem. Most people think DO is a "plan B" if you don't get into a US allopathic school.
Before you do that, do you even know the difference between the two schools? Osteopathic medicine offers a more holistic view and many DO's focus on preventive medicine and such. You should really know what your interests are first, then decide what to do from there.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Carib MD>>>>>>>>DO, duh

I'd go anywhere in the country before I'd go to the Caribbean. I just have issues with living outside of the U.S. Well, that first statement isn't entirely true. I wouldn't go anywhere in Louisiana.
To be fair, lots of people would not go anywhere in Arkansas anyway. Funky pronounciation too. Either Kansas should be read Kansaw or Arkansaw should really be read as Ar-kansas.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP's a troll
and if not have you considered a Nigerian or Bulgarian MD?
Wait, what? Someone whose first and only post on this board is a Carib vs. DO thread? Surely not! ;)

Daedra22

7+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If it were me, I would definitely go with PCOM. PCOM is a very reputable school, and they have produced some great doctors. I guess if you really need "MD" behind your name, or just really loved the Carribean school, maybe you should go there... as always, deciding where to attend is a subjective thing. Consider what kind of "feeling" you got while interviewing, and where you think you would get the best education/where you would like to live for the next four years.

I'm answering this question seriously, although I recognize that the OP may well be a troll >.>

IndianVercetti

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I hope more people think like this, and decide to go Carib MD. It just makes it easier for people like myself who actually want to pursue DO

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
You should go to PCOM if you won't piss and moan about OMM next year.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
PCOM has a higher specialty match rate than some MD schools. So yeah, it's a fantastic school.

obiwan

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
you don't want to be an international graduate if it can be helped

Jan 15, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'll go ahead and point out that what the caribbean schools award is not actually an MD. It's some strange 5-letter thing I've seen once and can't remember. The US simply lets you pretend, once you return, that you have an MD.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
Carib MD>>>>>>>>DO, duh

To be fair, lots of people would not go anywhere in Arkansas anyway. Funky pronounciation too. Either Kansas should be read Kansaw or Arkansaw should really be read as Ar-kansas.
lol I'm totally ok with people not wanting to come to Arkansas, but yet they are coming in droves to the northwest part of the state. Stay away, or you'll over populate the place! :D

It used to be spelled Arkansaw, but for some reason a motion was made to change it to Arkansas. Akansea was an Indian tribe which is the origin of the name here. By the time the French and Spanish came through it was Arkansaw.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Here's the problem. Most people think DO is a "plan B" if you don't get into a US allopathic school.
Before you do that, do you even know the difference between the two schools? Osteopathic medicine offers a more holistic view and many DO's focus on preventive medicine and such. You should really know what your interests are first, then decide what to do from there.
No matter what your career interests are, you will have a much better shot of accomplishing them with a DO from PCOM.

As much as I hate Philly, I have to admit that PCOM is a solid school. I'm shocked that 25% of people actually responded SGU. God bless you people.

IndianVercetti

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'll go ahead and point out that what the caribbean schools award is not actually an MD. It's some strange 5-letter thing I've seen once and can't remember. The US simply lets you pretend, once you return, that you have an MD.
I know you're being sarcastic, but to claim that the US MD is the be-all-end-all of a medical education isn't true. There are world-renowned British doctors who have an MBBS (British equivalent) instead of an MD. This degree is also in many Asian countries like India. I know many foreign doctors who obtained an MBBS overseas, and now practice in the United States. The only reason "MD" is used is to streamline the degrees. It would be incredibly confusing to have a multitude of medical degrees floating in the US, you can imagine the confusion. In many ways, this discussion might soon arise for DO also (though highly unlikely in the near future, as has been discussed numerous times, and for many valid reasons)

Bottom line, I think it's amazing how much people chase after an elusive MD after their name, when there are countless medical degrees floating around the world. In the long run, no one really cares, DO, MD, MBBS, etc.

edit: btw, I'm still really confused by the poll options haha. Why is LECOM grouped with Ross lol, and why is SGU put on such a pedestal?

Last edited:

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I know you're being sarcastic, but to claim that the US MD is the be-all-end-all of a medical education isn't true. There are world-renowned British doctors who have an MBBS (British equivalent) instead of an MD. This degree is also in many Asian countries like India. I know many foreign doctors who obtained an MBBS overseas, and now practice in the United States. The only reason "MD" is used is to streamline the degrees. It would be incredibly confusing to have a multitude of medical degrees floating in the US, you can imagine the confusion. In many ways, this discussion might soon arise for DO also (though highly unlikely in the near future, as has been discussed numerous times, and for many valid reasons)

Bottom line, I think it's amazing how much people chase after an elusive MD after their name, when there are countless medical degrees floating around the world. In the long run, no one really cares, DO, MD, MBBS, etc.

edit: btw, I'm still really confused by the poll options haha. Why is LECOM grouped with Ross lol, and why is SGU put on such a pedestal?
He grouped Lecom with Ross because he is a troll.

GodisGood12

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Medical Student
OP,

PCOM or any reputable DO, is much much better than Carib, hands down. The M.D. is meaningless if you can't even match into the US (not that Carib students dont, but they have such a tough tough tough time). PCOM is top notch DO and many of their students match into Allopathic residencies that are competitive. You are severely limiting yourself if you go Carib. I do not mean to disrespect Carib M.D.s, but Foreign MD's have tons of trouble matching, let alone into a competitive field. I am sure there are plenty of stories of carib MD's matching and going somewhere competitive, but overall much more difficult.

Hands down, without a doubt please go DO.

Oh and btw I hope your not a troll cause then I wasted my time genuinely trying to help you.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
If you have to ask this question... Go Carib and save a U.S. seat for someone who will actually finish medical school! :rolleyes:

(J/K, btw... but seriously, OP, to have the best chance of finishing and practicing in the U.S., any DO school beats any Carib school hands down. Every time.)

Drexon

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2007
Southern California
Status
Medical Student
do you speak carribean?
hope it helps with you decision =)

Feb 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Dont be ignorant. there is no such thing as "carribean"
They speak englis or broken english. Kinda like slang.
Dont let language determine where you are going. the teachers speak english, so the only "'locals" you will meet will be when you go grocery shopping and stuff

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Dont be ignorant. there is no such thing as "carribean"
They speak englis or broken english. Kinda like slang.
Dont let language determine where you are going. the teachers speak english, so the only "'locals" you will meet will be when you go grocery shopping and stuff
:smuggrin:

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Far from home :-)
Status
Medical Student
do you speak carribean?
hope it helps with you decision =)
maybe there would be a language called carribean if there were a place called carribean. but, alas, there is only the caribbean, and like someone else mentioned most of the islands speak english, but it contains bits of many other languages based on what immigrants there were (slavery, colonization).

dweji16

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I was told that this year, for the first time ever, there weren't enough residency seats for all the US seniors to match into. Therefore, there might be a new policy where FMG and Carib students won't be allowed to apply for residency EXCEPT during the scramble.... I was pretty shocked, although I don't know if this is 100% true. I;ve been out of the loop since I dug and have lived in it to study for the MCAT.

So yes... I would think that DO is a better option by more than just a long shot. Not only is their training and education excellent, they consistently match into great allo and osteo residencies, and also have the option of their OWN residency if they want to do that.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I was told that this year, for the first time ever, there weren't enough residency seats for all the US seniors to match into. Therefore, there might be a new policy where FMG and Carib students won't be allowed to apply for residency EXCEPT during the scramble.... I was pretty shocked, although I don't know if this is 100% true. I;ve been out of the loop since I dug and have lived in it to study for the MCAT.

So yes... I would think that DO is a better option by more than just a long shot. Not only is their training and education excellent, they consistently match into great allo and osteo residencies, and also have the option of their OWN residency if they want to do that.
Every year there are over 4000 residency slots not taken. Trust me we have enough residency spots, the only problem is that when everyone aims at radiology and derma not many aim for family medicine or pediatrics.

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status
Every year there are over 4000 residency slots not taken. Trust me we have enough residency spots, the only problem is that when everyone aims at radiology and derma not many aim for family medicine or pediatrics.
Actually, the poster is right. This year, there weren't enough spots in the scramble for all the U.S. seniors who didn't match. You can read about it on the residency forum.

BenUstudent

BenUAlumni
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
It used to be spelled Arkansaw, but for some reason a motion was made to change it to Arkansas.
Apparently I have been living under a Rock. When/why Did Arkansaw change its name?

Now poor 2nd graders will get Kansas and Arkansas mixed up. I had a picture book of the states and capitals growing up (ie St. Paul, Minnesota had picture of St. paul walking from a vending machine drinking a can of soda.)

BenUstudent

BenUAlumni
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student

Food

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2007
Unemployment office
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey, OP - I definitely think you should go for the D.O. option. The thing about the Caribbean that a lot of people seem to forget is that it's in a foreign country. I know a lot of people who ended up leaving after about a year for various reasons, many of which I suspect have to do with the standard of living and availability of services/goods you're used to in the States. Plus there's the whole thing about being an American graduate vs Foreign. I know a lot of people who have gone the foreign route and been successful, but it's definitely an uphill battle. If you have no issues about the title, def. go for D.O. - it's a safer route.

jboz

Removed
Mar 21, 2010
Status
Hey, OP - I definitely think you should go for the D.O. option. The thing about the Caribbean that a lot of people seem to forget is that it's in a foreign country. I know a lot of people who ended up leaving after about a year for various reasons, many of which I suspect have to do with the standard of living and availability of services/goods you're used to in the States. Plus there's the whole thing about being an American graduate vs Foreign. I know a lot of people who have gone the foreign route and been successful, but it's definitely an uphill battle. If you have no issues about the title, def. go for D.O. - it's a safer route.
That's the ENTIRE issue, the title of "D.O."

If it wasn't about the title, then these threads would never pop up

Superman DO

Oh crap, I'm really a doctor?
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Let me fix your typo. . .KCOM is spelled with a K, not a P. It is the top DO school. . .don't let it happen again. . . ;)

Dec 31, 2009
Status
Okay granite, that this may not be the right place to post this.. but it seems very appropriate.

I have gotten into pharmacy schools here in California and in the states and I have also gotten into St. George medical school in the Caribbean. I kind of had lost hope for medical school… but now that I have gotten in… Im very confused.. if I should just go to pharmacy school because it was my back up if I didn’t get into medical school…

I guess the dilemma is staying safe and attending pharmacy in the STATES or risking it and going after my dreams but at a Caribbean school??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. THANKS