Top Choice Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madskillz1358

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You always hear people saying that I got into my top choice, and they have not even seen the school.

How does one decide what is their top choice school?
After my interviews, all of my schools are my top choice.

I have to choose between KCUMB, WVSOM, CCOM, and TOURO Nevada.

I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I know everyone will say that no school is good that does not fit my personality. I am not asking anyone to help me decide which school is better, and which curriculum is better, and that other schools are not as good.

The truth is that all osteopathic medical schools are good, and you get out what you put in. I do not want anyone bashing any medical school, and I also dont want people telling me that the decision of choosing a medical school is only mine. I know that it is my decision, and I have ot find a place that fits me.

However, two of these fit my personality.
Out of this, I am hoping to get people and students who attend any of these schools to tell me what they really like about their school, what they do not like, and what they would change if they could change something about their school. I would also like to know about remediation policies, as well as curriculum, and costs, and professor and patient relationships and rotation sites.

I know I can google this all online, but I want to hear from students who have been through the experience, and who have matriculated at these schools and their perspectives. Student's perspectives will help me decide, and I dont want anyone criticizing others schools. I just want to know the benefits of each school from students/applicants, and anyone else.

Thank you, and anyone of your advice and information will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't you already make a thread about this? I thought I remembered seeing it before....

You always hear people saying that I got into my top choice, and they have not even seen the school.

Getting accepted to a school usually requires visiting (and "seeing") the school for an interview. So I'm not sure what you mean by this. After interviewing at a few schools, I had a pretty good idea about which was my top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't you already make a thread about this? I thought I remembered seeing it before....

I don't know if this person did or not, but you may be thinking of one of the twenty other posts like this that have been on here in the past month or two.

factors people (including me) take into account are as follows:

1)location
2)tuition and cost of living
3)match lists
4)board scores
5)curriculum
6)rotations (location wise + quality wise)
7)the general feel they get from visit schools
8)how well established the school is ( or reputation)

all I can think of for now.

I don't know if this person did or not, but you may be thinking of one of the twenty other posts like this that have been on here in the past month or two.

Right, but this one is pretty much verbatim from what I remembered reading within the last couple weeks. Different title maybe, but same initial post--in the pre-osteo forum too.

Anyways, OP, instead of posting the same thing repeatedly, have your school specific questions asked in the med student school specific forums. You're more likely to get answers there.

1) tuition and cost of living
2) rotations 3rd and 4th year
3) vibe
4) board scores
5) match lists
6) location
7) reputation

Curriculum doesn't really matter too much. Its either PBL or lecture based. Systems or subject. Pick your poison.

Which school you pick should be the one that you feel most comfortable and happy with. Being happy --> Study more --> better grades and board scores --> better shot of getting your top residency choice. :thumbup:

Thank for all your replies. It is much appreciated it.

The thing is that for some odd reason, i dont know why, the repuation is number one on my list. between kcumb, and touro nevada, the problem is that lcumb is 1916, and so has over 7000 practiceing alumni, while touro is 2004, and only 3 grduating classes, and all of them r in residency right now so you dont really know. howveer, i got a good vibe form touro.. i think this is only because i was not as nervous beciase i know i have kcumb acceptance on my back..

kcumb vibe wasnt as good becuase i was so darn nervous bout the interview, i dint ask any questions or even look at the facilities...i loved the curriculum of kcumb though, however, touro is a better location