Top clinically-oriented PhDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canuck2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what do people consider to be the best PhD programs that are known to be more clinically-oriented? I'm pretty drawn to CUNY's program but don't know much about it's reputation. I'm Canadian and most of our programs, with the exception of one or two, are pretty old-school research-focused. BTW, I don't need a lecture on the importance of research - got it - but I'm looking for a program that will also offer solid clinical training. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're truly clinically oriented, I think Rutgers' PsyD program is probably the best choice possible. There aren't many good clinically based PhD programs.

It depends what you're looking for. Do you want a clinically oriented program because you don't like doing research and want to focus primarily on clinical work? Or do you enjoy research, but want to be sure to get excellent clinical training on top of excellent research training? If it's the former, you're probably best off at a top-notch PsyD program like Rutgers. If it's the latter, there are a number of top research programs that also strongly value clinical training (Penn State comes to mind).

Members don't see this ad :)
The latter. I really enjoy research but I don't think I want a full-on academic career, and I don't want to have to pretend I do for 6-7 years. I would prefer to be in a program that values clinical work as much as research. (Is this possible I ask myself?) So, Penn State is good, thanks. Are there others?

Northwestern's Feinberg School of Medicine offers a Clinical Psych PhD that emphasizes both research and clinical skills

I think they also have a particularly nice focus on Mental Health Services and Policy (a large juvenile justioce system project in IL, etc), as well as neuropsych, legal, and child-CBT areas of emphasis

http://www.clinpsych.northwestern.edu/

If you are interested in health psych, pedes, or neuro - I would recommend the University of Florida. Extremely clinically oriented, but very respected faculty as well. They require at least 2,000 hours of clinical hours pre-internship, but most folks graduate with much more. :D

coloradocutter said:
If you are interested in health psych, pedes, or neuro - I would recommend the University of Florida. Extremely clinically oriented, but very respected faculty as well. They require at least 2,000 hours of clinical hours pre-internship, but most folks graduate with much more. :D

Agreed! I'm currently a 1st yr student at UF and will begin getting some clinical experience as a co-therapist in the next few months. The clinical work here is definitely rooted in research initiatives, and I like the integration of the medical professions with the psych dept. Great program (so far).

Thanks for your input everyone. I can't help but think, however - that's it?!

Texas A&M seemed good to me to name one that comes to mind. I have the feeling, and others might disagree, that many schools are good clinically. There are a few to watch out for that will not give you much in the way of a clinical expereince. Schools such as Penn and UCLA, and Berkley seem to not ascribe much value to the clinical portion of training. Anyone else have thoughts ?

Psyclops said:
Texas A&M seemed good to me to name one that comes to mind. I have the feeling, and others might disagree, that many schools are good clinically. There are a few to watch out for that will not give you much in the way of a clinical expereince. Schools such as Penn and UCLA, and Berkley seem to not ascribe much value to the clinical portion of training. Anyone else have thoughts ?

I was just thinking the same thing-- there are really a good number of schools that believe firmly in the importance of solid clinical training, where you don't have to "be in the closet" if you secretly want to be a clinician. I'm not familiar with a huge number of programs, but while many programs place a very strong emphasis on research, it's probably the exception rather than the rule to discourage heavy involvement in clinical training.

Some others that I've heard of that aim to only produce researchers and offer few clinical experiences include Yale, Northwestern (Evanstan), and Indiana.

That has been my feeling. In the argument (often from the PsyD camp) that PhD programs focus too much on research, it is implied that they mean to the exclusion of clinical work. But I think that that is rarely the case, it is a strong focus on research in addition to clinical work. Naturally this makes the argument more frustrating. There will always be exceptions either way of course.