Top dental school choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Minnesota is mine because I love the state of MN!

Members don't see this ad.

To the Calis. Why not UCLA?
If you got both, which would you pick??????

I went to UCLA for undergrad, and would really like a change of scenery so I would still go for UCSF if I got accepted into both...but in reality, I would be ECSTATIC if I got into either..

the weather is ok but its often foggy and cold....

Yeah, but if you've been in the hot, dry Southern California sun most of your life, a little fogginess might actually seem desirable. This is especially true the last few days where temperatures have been record-breaking high......

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks alot, rkamsterdam, I do not understand why he would take time to point that out when the post was about what everyone's top dental school choice is.:idea:

I can understand where he's coming from tho.

Yes I am a prospective OMFS who is currently applying for dental school just as you are Dr. Rex who has not yet graduated from dental school. What is your point?:rolleyes:

But labeling yourself underneath your username "OMFS" is kind of jumping the gun here. I think his point was that you're being a bit forward and presumptuous to say that you are going to be an OMFS and claiming the title when you have not yet completed the first step of the process. Its like claiming to be a gold medal winner while you're still qualifying for the olympic team.

I would say most pre-dents are wanna-be orthos, rather then OMS. But anyway, OMS08 its cool you want to do oms, I think what everyone is saying is that its fine to want to be one just don't boast it. Another note is saying you want to do oms before even getting your hands dirty, this makes it sound like you are bypassing the whole dental dereee itself. I think you get the point. I am not trying to got on your case I am just trying to help you along, If you cannot do OMS are you going to be happy doing GP. Just my 2 cents. something to think about..good luck with everything!

UCLA for me. :) only cuz it's in so cal and i've been here for wat... 20+ years. :) the weather's nice. minus the strange 90 degrees one day and 60 the next recently... but the weather's for me!!!! :)

I would say most pre-dents are wanna-be orthos, rather then OMS. But anyway, OMS08 its cool you want to do oms, I think what everyone is saying is that its fine to want to be one just don't boast it. Another note is saying you want to do oms before even getting your hands dirty, this makes it sound like you are bypassing the whole dental dereee itself. I think you get the point. I am not trying to got on your case I am just trying to help you along, If you cannot do OMS are you going to be happy doing GP. Just my 2 cents. something to think about..good luck with everything!

don't let these people get you down. if you're gonna do OMFS, you better start from the beginning with that attitude! it'll get you through those long nights of studying and lab work....gotta have a goal on your mind that makes you happy.

But you have to be the best GP in your class to match into ortho, endo, and sometimes OMFS. So you're not 'bypassing' anything.

Or pretend you're ortho like the rest of your class so you don't stick out at all. :laugh:

agreed, exactly... Keep your dreams definitely...but make sure that you would be happy being a GP also. I just don't like seeing people that (not accusing you of this) think "I want to be a surgeon but it'd be easier for me to get into dental school instead of medical school."

don't let these people get you down. if you're gonna do OMFS, you better start from the beginning with that attitude! it'll get you through those long nights of studying and lab work....gotta have a goal on your mind that makes you happy.

But you have to be the best GP in your class to match into ortho, endo, and sometimes OMFS. So you're not 'bypassing' anything.

Or pretend you're ortho like the rest of your class so you don't stick out at all. :laugh:
You don't put OMFS in your predent name for the same reason Obama isn't declaring himself the democratic nominee yet. People find it arrogant, presumptuous, and annoying. At least wait until you're in school and have taken a few classes before you start promoting your intentions. Thinking about OMFS and planning now is one thing, just keep it less vocal if you care what people think about you.

just keep it less vocal if you care what people think about you.

2i8745.jpg

Do I look like I care what people think? :D

that was funny. but seriously, maybe OMFS knows something we don't. is your family's name on a building at a dental school somewhere? that just might punch your ticket.

Members don't see this ad :)
My top choices were 1-Columbia and 2&3 were Umich and UNC... I am an ohio resident, got into OSU but was not impressed by some stuff... I will be attending Columbia in the fall.. Have any questions pm me

Quick question, what about OSU didn't impress you? I am looking to go knock out post bach. prereqs, and have considered moving there to get in state status.

Thanks.

1st Choice

ASDOH-I live down the street from the school and they provide a lot of clinical experience (rotations, etc.)

2nd Choice

UNLV-My mom drives me crazy and I would like to get at least 500 miles away! Plus its easier to get friends to visit you if alcohol and debauchery is involved in the visit :laugh:

Buffalo or Stony Brook, due to instate tuition. I've heard tremendously good things about both schools as well!!

actually im changing my vote:
1st choice = dental school that will send me the "congratulations" letter

i agree.. anywhere i can get in is my top school

actually im changing my vote:
1st choice = dental school that will send me the "congratulations" letter

Right on man!!! I'll go anywhere, but NY would be ideal for tuition costs.

^ because they already know they can't hang in the superior UC....LA

Last edited:
Go Huskies Go.....

yeap UConn should be here:D:D

Guys and gals,
make sure you keep an open mind. Your view of the school can change significantly during your visit for an interview. Good luck to everybody.

Guys and gals,
make sure you keep an open mind. Your view of the school can change significantly during your visit for an interview. Good luck to everybody.

Good advice and the interviewers can tell whether or not you're excited to be there.

DEEEEEEEEEEEETROIT Mercy! Amazing school.

Big bad San Antonio

*Ur boy reppin that 956 dirty South Texas all day everyday

San Antonio or Baylor...#2 UofPacific (married so I am willing to pay the high tuition)

but in the end, #1 is anyone willing to take me!!!

The quarter before I applied to dental school my mom told me about a school called University of the Pacific that had a 3 year dental program and I thought it was some sort of online scam or weird international school. :thumbup:

ME TOO!!! Except my friend told me about it because her friend had told her about it and he was a predent too. I thought it was miiiiighty shady sounding, and it sure as hell didn't help that they have the same initials as University of Phoenix (still a major concern for me if I ever end up going there).

Speaking of views of a school changing as you do interviews, my top choice has already changed three times in the past week and a half as I'm doing secondaries and taking time to look into each school in more detail (which I didn't have time to do when I was actually submitting my ADSAAS - wasted some money that way).

But yeah, if my opinion is changing this many times just by reading up on the schools some more, I don't even want to know how many times I'm going to change my mind after visiting and interviewing.

ME TOO!!! Except my friend told me about it because her friend had told her about it and he was a predent too. I thought it was miiiiighty shady sounding, and it sure as hell didn't help that they have the same initials as University of Phoenix (still a major concern for me if I ever end up going there).

Why would that be a concern?

Top choices: UCLA, UOP, UCSF

I think i would rather go to UOP than UCSF...my dad's friend that went there said UCSF's program isnt that great and they have a lot of problems. So yea i would choose UCLA over UCSF any day.

UoP is my top choice (three year program and a very friendly learning environment - can't be beat!), UCSF, UCLA, then UNLV. But when it comes down to it, I'll go where I am accepted!

Enjoy, Brian

Loma Linda, UCLA, UCSF, and UOP. I don't know how I'd choose one over the other, but I'd be happy to be accepted to one of them.