Top DO schools have great matches.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodmichael82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.dmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2013-Specialties.pdf

It seems like DMU has some decent matches just as good as MD schools. I saw some other top DO schools and they had really impressive matches.
My fellow classmate showed me the match list today and I must say I am impressed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as all or most got what they wanted, why would anyone consider it anything but a great match.

Not all of our lives/careers revolve around prestige.

SDN
Prestige

Where da 30 plastic surgery matches!?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
That must have been a rockstar class. Uro Surgery, Optho, Ortho, ENT/Plastics! Great job!

What you think is plastic surgery at DMU is actually ENT, which is still impressive.

Plastic surgery DMU has more matches than NYMC, Orthopedic surgery is the same number of matches (7). Opthamology is close, a lot of these matches are close.

There is more to match lists than X number of orthopedics and Y number of urology.

In b4 Instatewaiter tells us why it's not a good match.
Funniest dang thing I have ever read on SDN:thumbup:
As long as all or most got what they wanted, why would anyone consider it anything but a great match.

Not all of our lives/careers revolve around prestige.

Completely agree

Burn
The funniest part about this is the title. "Top DO".
And so it starts...:spam::hijacked::corny:

http://www.dmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2013-Specialties.pdf

It seems like DMU has some decent matches just as good as MD schools. I saw some other top DO schools and they had really impressive matches.
My fellow classmate showed me the match list today and I must say I am impressed.

Lol i'm pretty sure you're trolling, but just in case you're serious...

If that's a great match list, what do you call the lists at mid tier MD schools like Georgetown or Tufts?
Nothing against DMU (which is one of the best DO schools out there).

Let me break it down:

gas- no great matches
rads- no great matches
em- 1 great match at Indiana
fm- some great matches at Colorado, OHSU, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. The rest are mostly at community hospitals in the midwest.
gen surgery- no great matches
im- 1 great match at UChicago, some good matches at Iowa, Hopkins-Sinai, and Ohio St.
neuro- no great matches
ob&gyn - no great matches
ophtho- no great matches
ortho - no great matches
ent- no great matches
peds- 1 great match at MCW

Huh? That's ENT not plastics. Also, none of those are good ENT matches.

There are a few impressive matches, but on balance the majority of the matches are pretty mediocre.

But everyone already knows that if you're top of the class with board scores and recs that confirm your ranking, you'll match well. Most of us are average though, and the average MD student will match at a better program than the average DO student. It is what it is. I'm not losing sleep over it.

There are a few impressive matches, but on balance the majority of the matches are pretty mediocre.

But everyone already knows that if you're top of the class with board scores and recs that confirm your ranking, you'll match well. Most of us are average though, and the average MD student will match at a better program than the average DO student. It is what it is. I'm not losing sleep over it.
Those folks at DMU who matched successfully into Uro, Ortho, Optho, ENT....they are still going to get great training and make a lot of money in the private world. Just because they may not get teaching positions at Johns Hopkins doesn't mean their life isn't complete.

I say congratulate them and let's hope we can be as successful.

KCUMB Match:

http://www.kcumb.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/Academics/_Assets/2013MatchSpecialty.pdf

tl;dr

Dermatology (Mayo clinic) = 1
Anesthesiology = 6
Diagnostic Rads = 3
Emergency Med = 13
FM = 47
General Surgery = 8
Internal Medicine = 34
IM&Peds = 1
Neurology = 2
OBGYN = 13
Ortho = 9
ENT = 1
Pathology = 4
Peds = 20
Preliminary IM = 6
Prelim Peds = 2
Prelim surgery = 2
Preventative Medicine = 1
Psychiatry = 10
Traditional Internship = 25
Transitional Internship = 2
Urological Surgery = 2

Last edited:
KCUMB Match:

http://www.kcumb.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/Academics/_Assets/2013MatchSpecialty.pdf

tl;dr

Anesthesiology = 6
Diagnostic Rads = 3
Emergency Med = 13
FM = 47
General Surgery = 42
IM&Peds = 1
Neurology = 2
OBGYN = 13
Ortho = 9
ENT = 1
Pathology = 4
Peds = 20
Preliminary IM = 6
Prelim Peds = 2
Prelim surgery = 2
Psychiatry = 10
Transitional Internship = 27
Urological Surgery = 2

:eek:

I think you mean 8.

WHOOPS! I was wondering why they went all out on gen surg lol. Fixed it

It's noteworthy that there was at least 1 person who matched into each ROAD specialty

Last edited:
KCUMB Match:

tl;dr

Anesthesiology = 6
Diagnostic Rads = 3
Emergency Med = 13
FM = 47
General Surgery = 8
Internal Medicine = 34
IM&Peds = 1
Neurology = 2
OBGYN = 13
Ortho = 9
ENT = 1
Pathology = 4
Peds = 20
Preliminary IM = 6
Prelim Peds = 2
Prelim surgery = 2
Psychiatry = 10
Traditional Internship = 25
Transitional Internship = 2
Urological Surgery = 2

OK? You need a caption for that match list. Should I be impressed?

Compare it to SLU, depending on who you ask, a solid low/mid-tier MD school. I picked SLU because it's somewhat near KCUMB to attempt to control for any unknown regional bias.

Saint Louis University SOM
http://www.slu.edu/admissions/match-list-2013

Anes = 15 (NYP, Stanford, HUP)
Child Neuro = 2 (UCLA)
Derm = 6
EM = 15
FM = 25
IM = 40 (2x Mayo, JHH, UCLA, Carver, 2x Barnes, MCW, Mich, Cedars, Case, OHSU)
IM/Peds = 1
IM/Psych = 1
Neuro Surgery = 2
Neuro = 3
Ob/Gyn = 4
Ophtho = 4
Ortho = 3
ENT = 4
Path = 4
Peds = 17
PM&R = 2
Plastics = 1
Psych = 3
Psych/FM = 2
Rad Onc = 1
Rads = 8
Gen Surg = 13
TY = 2 (both military)
Uro = 2
Vasc Surg = 1

It's pretty useless to compare DO school match lists to MD school match lists. MD schools will always have the more "impressive" match lists... they only participate in the ACGME match. They don't face the same discrimination, even for lesser known MD schools. Their students are usually more apt to gun for higher-paying, competitive sub-specialties. It's more appropriate to compare DO to DO, MD to MD.

Maybe I'm just missing something, but why does location of residency matter if you aren't a prestige hungry SDNer? I would rather do residency at a no name hospital in a specialty I want, rather than a "prestigious" residency in anything else.

Maybe I'm just missing something, but why does location of residency matter if you aren't a prestige hungry SDNer? I would rather do residency at a no name hospital in a specialty I want, rather than a "prestigious" residency in anything else.
well, let's put it this way. what if you could do the residency of your choosing... AT the most prestigious hospital in the country? Wouldn't that be awesome?

Some MD's/DO's think unless you've achieved the above you've somehow failed at life.

But yeah to answer your question it really doesn't matter... unless you wanna do fellowship :)

Posting match lists from DO schools on here doesn't show anything. For DO schools, I feel like it is a numbers game for matching into good programs and the program itself has little effect. So it is primarily based on individual performance. Plus, most people looking at this thread, including myself, have no idea what good matches are considering we haven't researched specific programs for each specialty.

Posting match lists from DO schools on here doesn't show anything. For DO schools, I feel like it is a numbers game for matching into good programs and the program itself has little effect. So it is primarily based on individual performance. Plus, most people looking at this thread, including myself, have no idea what good matches are considering we haven't researched specific programs for each specialty.

Yeah you do make a good point. One can debate whether a school's match list is significantly affected by the education it provides, or solely on the individual performance of the students.

However, I believe there has to be some sort of correlation between the quality of education you receive and the connections you make through your school/rotation sites, with the ability to match into a good program (of course there are exceptions, considering carrib students match into prestigious positions occasionally).

tl;dr

One's medical school may not be of a huge importance, but it could potentially be of significance to how well students match.

those folks at dmu who matched successfully into uro, ortho, optho, ent....they are still going to get great training and make a lot of money in the private world. just because they may not get teaching positions at johns hopkins doesn't mean their life isn't complete.

i say congratulate them and let's hope we can be as successful.

you're wrong

Yeah you do make a good point. One can debate whether a school's match list is significantly affected by the education it provides, or solely on the individual performance of the students.

However, I believe there has to be some sort of correlation between the quality of education you receive and the connections you make through your school/rotation sites, with the ability to match into a good program (of course there are exceptions, considering carrib students match into prestigious positions occasionally).

tl;dr

One's medical school may not be of a huge importance, but it could potentially be of significance to how well students match.

I think there is also a big component of what your school exposes to you. I mean I don't believe that most DO students are immediately at a predisposition towards FM nor do they have such low scores to only make it in that field. I think many just experience FM more or in a more positive light and choose that as such.

I mean, DO students can chime and tell me what they think of my hypothesis.

Compare it to SLU, depending on who you ask, a solid low/mid-tier MD school. I picked SLU because it's somewhat near KCUMB to attempt to control for any unknown regional bias.

MedPR, is that you? Solid new username!

I think there is also a big component of what your school exposes to you. I mean I don't believe that most DO students are immediately at a predisposition towards FM nor do they have such low scores to only make it in that field. I think many just experience FM more or in a more positive light and choose that as such.

I mean, DO students can chime and tell me what they think of my hypothesis.

Can't say for myself, I can say that a majority of my classmates stated FM as their field of choice during 1st year, the point where their aspirations could have been as high as they wanted (we hadn't taken boards yet).

I legitimately believe that students with genuine interest in primary care end up in DO schools at higher rates than MD schools.

Can't say for myself, I can say that a majority of my classmates stated FM as their field of choice during 1st year, the point where their aspirations could have been as high as they wanted (we hadn't taken boards yet).

I legitimately believe that students with genuine interest in primary care end up in DO schools at higher rates than MD schools.

I would agree.

I took a random poll of my class of 130 during third year and out of the 70 that responded, 30% wanted FM. But I go to Touro-CA and if [post=13962095]our 2013 match list[/post] is any indication, we're a very FM-happy school.

Saint Louis University SOM
http://www.slu.edu/admissions/match-list-2013

Anes = 15 (NYP, Stanford, HUP)
Child Neuro = 2 (UCLA)
Derm = 6
EM = 15
FM = 25
IM = 40 (2x Mayo, JHH, UCLA, Carver, 2x Barnes, MCW, Mich, Cedars, Case, OHSU)
IM/Peds = 1
IM/Psych = 1
Neuro Surgery = 2
Neuro = 3
Ob/Gyn = 4
Ophtho = 4
Ortho = 3
ENT = 4
Path = 4
Peds = 17
PM&R = 2
Plastics = 1
Psych = 3
Psych/FM = 2
Rad Onc = 1
Rads = 8
Gen Surg = 13
TY = 2 (both military)
Uro = 2
Vasc Surg = 1

Since KCUMB's match compared with DMU is remarkably similar, I would have you believe that KCUMB is one of the top tier D.O. schools. That is, if one believes a top tier D.O. school is classified as such based on the number of competitive specialties it matches into, and the broadness of the residency fields students matched into. As I mentioned, KCUMB matched students into all ROAD specialties.

MedPR, is that you? Solid new username!

What? SLU is in Missouri, not Puerto Rico?

I never bought into the "holistic" spiel that DOs are more interested in primary care. I had the opposite experience at my school. Everyone had stars in their eyes 1st year and wanted ortho this, anes that. Then after step 1, some started talking about FM like they were into it the whole time lol.

Since KCUMB's match compared with DMU is remarkably similar, I would have you believe that KCUMB is one of the top tier D.O. schools. That is, if one believes a top tier D.O. school is classified as such based on the number of competitive specialties it matches into, and the broadness of the residency fields students matched into. As I mentioned, KCUMB matched students into all ROAD specialties.

I notice you're a premed. You will quickly learn there are no tiers of DO schools. Most PDs can't tell one from the other. The majority are unfamiliar with DO schools unless they've had a DO graduate from a specific school in their program. You'll do fine at KCUMB. Don't worry too much about DO pissing contests.

Alright, but why? Do DO schools really attract people interested in primary care as opposed to MD schools? I mean does this imply that the populations attending are distinct in someway?

I mean it's a curiosity.

Alright, but why? Do DO schools really attract people interested in primary care as opposed to MD schools? I mean does this imply that the populations attending are distinct in someway?

I mean it's a curiosity.

I think there is some degree of truth to the idea that DO schools attract more people interested in primary care. Also, people interested in primary care would more readily be OK with applying and attending a DO school, whereas the ones hoping to specialize or do surgery would probably prefer to be at an MD school (unless they're in regions where both are abundant).

The DO I shadowed wanted a very DO-friendly residency (not a primary care one). He said that his stats were a little low, and had never heard of DO schools until his pre-med department suggested applying to them only. When he found out that he could easily get the residency he wanted as a DO, he just applied to a couple DO schools and didn't think any more of it. Asking him now, he says he barely thought about the whole MD/DO thing or even anything more than "I can get the residency/training I want." By the way he got the residency of his choice in the area of his choice and is happy where he is now.

Unlike people on here, a lot of people just have an interest, pursue it, and don't care about comparing/analyzing every minute detail or whether they get the most competitive thing under the sun.

I think if I had a clear idea of exactly which residency I'd want, I know I wouldn't be as worried about "limiting my options", and would probably just go to the cheapest medical school I got into (I mean, I'm doing that anyways, but at least I wouldn't be so uncertain about whether I made the right choice).

you're wrong
I was being facetious.

Everyone says that MD>DO because of the lack of prestigious residency positions for competitive specialties.

I was countering with the fact that MD & DO will make a lot of money in private practice regardless of residency prestige.

Alright, but why? Do DO schools really attract people interested in primary care as opposed to MD schools? I mean does this imply that the populations attending are distinct in so

I think so. A good chunk of my class wanted family medicine from day 1. Very few med students are like the people on SDN.

I really think the lack of good matches at DO schools has more to do with DOs not taking the usmle and doing well on it, as well as having subpar letters and research. If you go to an MD school, the chair of the department of the specialy you're applying to will usually write a letter for you automatically whereas at a DO school you probably don't even have a chair of speciality X.

I think so. A good chunk of my class wanted family medicine from day 1. Very few med students are like the people on SDN.

I really think the lack of good matches at DO schools has more to do with DOs not taking the usmle and doing well on it, as well as having subpar letters and research. If you go to an MD school, the chair of the department of the specialy you're applying to will usually write a letter for you automatically whereas at a DO school you probably don't even have a chair of speciality X.

Cliquesh,

I'd be interested in your interpretation of what should be considered "doing well" on the USMLE. I got my score and while it's not as high as I would have preferred, it was only 3 points under my goal. The mean score jumped a bit this year though too. I'm not sure where I stand anymore because my score would have been "better" in comparison with the mean if I'd taken it last year.

What is your opinion on what's a good enough score for a DO?

Amen