Top FP programs in the South?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exgatr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the top FP programs are in the south?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

Panda... seriously....

Okay we understand you hate Family Medicine.... we understand you hate primary care... we understand you hate Duke...

It's all memory now... take some SSRIs for post traumatic stress syndrome and move on.

there are a lot of great programs in the south.. it depends on what you want or mean by top. i assume, academic, if that is the case, , U of NC (my undergrad), and Virginia are great,, but there is so many more great programs.. from maryland to florida,,, :thumbup:

I have looked in NC, SC, VA, GA and TN and this is what I liked (no particular order)

Anderson SC
Greenwood SC
Columbia SC (the only Univ/opposed I like)
Moses Cone NC (yeah, I still think it's the best in the SE- although I won't get to train there b/c family)
Asheville Mahec
Chattanooga TN

I also have a few I DON'T like, and will PM those if you want to hear my very biased opinion.:)

I think the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa is an excellent program. New facilities, Epic EMR, underserved population, good teaching, and college town with faculty benefits to university programs/events.

Moses Cone in Greensboro, NC has a well-respected academic fam med program as well. :)

Does Virginia count?

If so, look at some of the MCV programs, particularly Fairfax and Riverside. Most of their programs are academic, yet relatively unopposed.

Does Virginia count?

If so, look at some of the MCV programs, particularly Fairfax and Riverside. Most of their programs are academic, yet relatively unopposed.

South of what?

Virginia is a South that snows. Deep South includes Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, but not Florida (which apparently is more South in the north and more North in the south).

If you're talking about Bible Belt south, think Oklahoma big time. If you're thinking South in terms of shoveling snow, I'd consider SoCal, New Mexico, and Arizona. And of course, We call it The Great Republic of Texas. We ain't a part of no damn South.

Seriously, Texas does not consider itself to have been part of the confederacy. Sure some of our forefathers fought in this war but it was not to represent Texas. It was mostly to pay loyalty to the men who came to Texas to help achieve independence from the Mexicans (payback is hell!!).

The best programs in the country in my opinion are:

Contra Costa Regional in Cali
Ventura County in Cali
Salinas (Natividad) in Cali
Grand Junction in Co
Greeley in Co
Casper Wyoming program
Alaska FM program in Anchorage
All the U-Wisconsin programs, especially rural tracks
MCW- Waukesha
Duluth, Mn program
LaCrosse, Wi (Mayo) Program
John Peter Smith in Fort Worth, Tx
Waco FM program in Waco, Tx
Spartanburg, S.C. program
East Tennessee State (Kingsport, Tn) under Reid Blackwelder MD..incredible
Washington, Pa FM program
South Bend, IN program
Memorial Southwest Program in Houston, Tx

I did an intense amount of research into the FM programs for some 3 years before I decided to change and go into EM. I visited a bunch of these places on vacations. They are all great programs and there are obviously other great jems not mentioned that I know nothing about. I would also say that there is one common thread among them all though, and that is the fact that they are unopposed for the most part.

I looked all over the country, not because I would move, just so I could see what separated great from good programs. In the end McLeod Regional in Florence, SC was as good as any I could find. Briefly, the ability to learn endoscopy from FM faculty (and get more than enough numbers), multiple moonlighting gigs (not $40/hr to sit on your tail, WAY more to work) and strong inpt really set it apart for me. Any further questions please PM me.

Wherever you look, see how they have done in the match recently. You want a program that always fills with strong candidates, the interns and 2nd years will be your backup...

Spartanburg, S.C. program
East Tennessee State (Kingsport, Tn) under Reid Blackwelder MD..incredible

I've heard nothing but great things about Spartanburg. Supposed to be top-notch. Read the reports at scutwork.com

I attend Quillen College of Medicine at ETSU, and I can back up the Kingsport residency program as well. Dr. Blackwelder is pretty much my hero, and I've had the opportunity to deal with him on many occasions. He's an incredible teacher and mentor, but also the most laid back and REAL person I've ever met. I'm excited about my FP rotations next year, and hope to be on his service.

Wasn't the CAPITAL of the confederacy in Virginia?

Yep...Richmond. Well, Danville, VA became the capital for eight days right before Lee surrendered, but it was Richmond for most of the war.

It certainly feels like the South around here, even though we're close to D.C. ;)

Being a gator, you may not be interested in our program. But, I do feel that we have one of the top programs in the South for FM here at UT-Knoxville. I have discussed it at length in several threads. I won't bore anyone with a re-hash of everything I have said several times previously, but if you have specific questions I would be glad to answer them. Briefly, though, strong program with great selection of Fellowships, excellent procedural skills, very involved faculty, lots of autonomy in how you manage your patients, very well respected in the hospital by other programs, great location with affordable housing, really more benefits than I can list in one post.

Here is the website http://gsm.utmck.edu/family_medicine/main.htm