Top jobs pandemic recession with pharmacy number 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted898085

And student loan interest rate is 0%
This article is ludicrous- their quotes contradict their own rankings. Take this quote, for example:

"I work at an independent pharmacy. Many medications seem like they will be on back order soon if they aren’t already. If we can’t fill medicine, we don’t make money, and I don’t get paid. So far it isn’t an issue, but it’s uncomfortable to think about."

I don't know if we're all speaking the same language here, but does that sound like job security to you?

I get why the student loan planner published an article like this though. They are reliant on suckers going into pharmacy to stay afloat as a business, so they will do anything they can to convince pre-pharms to go into pharmacy. After all, how do you "student loan plan" for someone if everyone was financially responsible and didn't take out $200k+ loans to go into a dead end profession with no way to pay it off? The financially irresponsible are the clients that stay with these services the longest, so business would be a-booming for student loan planner the more of these students there are.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
"Even though the jobs below are secure financially compared to most, that doesn’t mean there aren’t people in every profession struggling from loss of income, including the ones I listed. "

Student Loan Planner advocates AGAINST students going into pharmacy. SLP has said the field is DEAD and that they have a whole list of unemployed students who are not able to find jobs and are working outside of their field to make ends meet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What a terrible article. There's several threads here about clinical pharmacists having no work to do due to elective surgeries being cancelled etc. They're being repositioned so central fill pharmacists but those are already fully staffed so they're not even needed. The chains are probably going to shorten hours just like the grocery stores. What an absurd list placing pharmacist at number one. I wonder which for profit pharmacy school paid for this article?

Here are some professions that are much more secure during a pandemic: paramedic, mental health workers, caregiver, law enforcement, firefighter, funeral home/cemetery worker, 911 call center, farm/agriculture worker, warehouse worker, grocery store employee, utilities (gas/electric), water/sewer, public works, plumber, electrician, trash collector, repair/maintenance, communications, manufacturing, the list goes on and on.

Emergency hire nurses are offered $5,000/week to work in Seattle. Is anyone hiring emergency pharmacists? The only position I know of is that one in Hawaii offering $25/hr.

Last edited:
He spoke to one pharmacist. Bravo.
He says pharmacist job market situation is changing fast. haha

Many states are abolishing reciprocity regulations for high demand occupations.Pharmacy isn't one of them.Perhaps at the end of this we will realize how useless and expensive they are.

Reactions: 2 users
"Even though the jobs below are secure financially compared to most, that doesn’t mean there aren’t people in every profession struggling from loss of income, including the ones I listed. "

Student Loan Planner advocates AGAINST students going into pharmacy. SLP has said the field is DEAD and that they have a whole list of unemployed students who are not able to find jobs and are working outside of their field to make ends meet.
They publish articles that give facts on the pharmacist job market but do not make an actual recommendation about it because again, why would they want to jeopardize their own business? It's a similar tactic to all those career pivot coaches like Alex Barker who say enough to sound credible (such as the market is saturated, etc.), but at the end of the day they want your money so they NEED a BIG pool of unemployed candidates otherwise they themselves will be out of a "job."

What about recruiters?Why do we still have them in a saturated market?How do they make money?If the market was so bad I would assume the pharmacists would pay their commission instead of the employer?

What about recruiters?Why do we still have them in a saturated market?How do they make money?If the market was so bad I would assume the pharmacists would pay their commission instead of the employer?
Because recruiters work at staffing agencies who recruit more than just pharmacists so it doesn't really matter if the "pharmacist" job market is saturated because technicians are in demand and they can focus on helping pharmacy techs get jobs and won't "run out of things to do."

In terms of how staffing agencies make money, from my understanding the business models vary and it could be either a flat fee that they charge the employer or a commission they take based on the role. I think most commonly it is a commission so as an example if an employer needed to fill a pharmacist role, they'd pay a staffing agency $80/hr for an RPh role, the staffing agency would recruit/"hire" a pharmacist (who will be paid by the staffing agency and not the parent organization) and pay them $60/hr, and the differential of $20/hr is what the staffing agency makes. The hourly rate paid out to a pharmacist is higher, of course, because no benefits are included.

So it could very well be the case that a staffing agency makes $20/hr off placing a pharmacist and $10/hr off placing a technician; if the pharmacist jobs dry up then they can just focus on the tech jobs since they'd still make good money off of it.

Reactions: 1 users
He spoke to one pharmacist. Bravo.
He says pharmacist job market situation is changing fast. haha

He's right. It's changing from bad to worse fast.

Reactions: 2 users
Copy this article to the student forum. They seem to like the taste of Kool-Aid.....

Copy this article to the student forum. They seem to like the taste of Kool-Aid.....

There's 4900 pharmacist job openings in Puerto Rico according to that forum.

4900! They must have a 1:1 pharmacist to citizen ratio or something....

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I also hear there's plenty of jobs in Neverland....

• Haha
4900! They must have a 1:1 pharmacist to citizen ratio or something....

Yeah check it out, this pre-pharm (who has yet to be accepted to pharmacy school) knows all.

Geez- what rock did that "doctor" guy crawl out from under? What a douche....

• Haha
I wonder if after this pandemic is over, there are many many more people willing to get flu shots every year or they will forget everything and things are back to as it was before the pandemic.
I see retail pharmacists are overloaded with their work already and if they will be more overloaded in the future, should retailers hire more pharmacists or will they advocate to have techs do flu shots?
If student loan interest rate stays at zero forever, or even greater, student loan debt is canceled, then pharmacist's wage can be lower as in other countries, lets say $40/h as some independent pharmacies are willing to pay. If this is the case, pharmacy job market will be better.
I saw this article today about government, especially Trump, should spend, cancel and bail out everything due to the pandemic.
Inflation will be crazy but is this something that can never happen?

Was this written by a pharmacy school to pass out to the 2.0 gpa students to get them to enroll???

• Hmm
NPs are getting offered over $10,000 per week for emergency hire positions during this pandemic. What are pharmacists being offered? Pretty much nothing.

Read this thread, prescription volume and pickups are down. Everyone is afraid of getting their hours cut. This doesn't sound like the number 1 profession to be in at all during this pandemic.

Last edited:
NPs are getting offered over $10,000 per week for emergency hire positions during this pandemic. What are pharmacists being offered? Pretty much nothing.

Read this thread, prescription volume and pickups are down. Everyone is afraid of getting their hours cut. This doesn't sound like the number 1 profession to be in at all during this pandemic.

Not really telling us anything we didn't already know, is it?

They need to waive the idiotic state reciprocity requirements like nursing does.All they do is payoff NABP and the Pharmacy Boards.They have nothing to do with safety or competence.

Not really telling us anything we didn't already know, is it?

Same could be said about this entire thread, yet tens of thousands of pre-pharms still want to go to pharmacy school...

This article is ludicrous- their quotes contradict their own rankings. Take this quote, for example:

"I work at an independent pharmacy. Many medications seem like they will be on back order soon if they aren’t already. If we can’t fill medicine, we don’t make money, and I don’t get paid. So far it isn’t an issue, but it’s uncomfortable to think about."

I don't know if we're all speaking the same language here, but does that sound like job security to you?

I get why the student loan planner published an article like this though. They are reliant on suckers going into pharmacy to stay afloat as a business, so they will do anything they can to convince pre-pharms to go into pharmacy. After all, how do you "student loan plan" for someone if everyone was financially responsible and didn't take out $200k+ loans to go into a dead end profession with no way to pay it off? The financially irresponsible are the clients that stay with these services the longest, so business would be a-booming for student loan planner the more of these students there are.

dude independents are screwed..... this whole thing if not handled quickly could result in a handful of large businesses owning everything, prob... Apple, Google, Wal mart, Costco...a few others will hang on.... this is changing life as we know it.... most small businesses cannot weather this kind of storm.... for very long, some have already tapped out..... this is bad...

dude independents are screwed..... this whole thing if not handled quickly could result in a handful of large businesses owning everything, prob... Apple, Google, Wal mart, Costco...a few others will hang on.... this is changing life as we know it.... most small businesses cannot weather this kind of storm.... for very long, some have already tapped out..... this is bad...

Large businesses can't even hang on. Didn't Cheesecake Factory say they couldn't afford rent?

Many states are abolishing reciprocity regulations for high demand occupations.Pharmacy isn't one of them.Perhaps at the end of this we will realize how useless and expensive they are.
wow reciprocity does not apply to us.... that levels me inside...we do look utterly useless at a time when heroes are called upon

Large businesses can't even hang on. Didn't Cheesecake Factory say they couldn't afford rent?

Yeah, nike too, many others saying cant do rent for rest of year or can pay 50%....trying to work out deals....this should be interesting to see how it plays out, but hey we have been talking about a recession on here for a long time right? lol....here it comes...get stuff on the cheap....

Yeah, nike too, many others saying cant do rent for rest of year or can pay 50%....trying to work out deals....this should be interesting to see how it plays out, but hey we have been talking about a recession on here for a long time right? lol....here it comes...get stuff on the cheap....

Damn I wish I could negotiate 50% of my mortgage/property taxes.

wow reciprocity does not apply to us.... that levels me inside...we do look utterly useless at a time when heroes are called upon

well i guess its something. Temporary, 18 states only at this time. meh....they could do better.

The MPJE is a scam.100 dollars for a test that should be taken at home like any other CE course.NABP ? I wonder what their cut is.

I worked at an independent. Just got laid off.

The MPJE is a scam.100 dollars for a test that should be taken at home like any other CE course.NABP ? I wonder what their cut is.
Won`t give extension on my MPJE registration. Won`t give refund for my test.
I couldn`t take test for 2 months because of Corona Virus, and they just walk away with my money. Sweet.

Won`t give extension on my MPJE registration. Won`t give refund for my test.
I couldn`t take test for 2 months because of Corona Virus, and they just walk away with my money. Sweet.
huge profit being made off of initial licensure, License Xfers, CE's, websites to manage your CE's (ce Broker), CPR, Technician mandatory STATE licensure in SOME states, CO just started that. And of course actual payment for license renewals.....if you add it all up, it gets pretty stupid and embarrassing. It's like the states prey on pharmacists we have soooo many. $$$$$$