Top Mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gators14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am Pre-pharmacy and wanted to do a Pham/MBA and I thought this would be a good place to post. Now my question is that the average MBA applicant is 27 after 5 years of work experience. However, if you are doing medical or pharmacy school that takes four years. You will be 26 or 227 by the time. Plus work experience can add to 31 to 33 years old before you apply. Are you at a disadvantage if you apply so late at 33. Also, I know that top 15 MBA programs are worth it, however if you are doing a MD/MBA or Pham/MBA how important does it become to get a top MBA? I saw in several places that a science and business background is rare enough that you do not need to get a top MBA. I was wondering about this because the competition and price of atop MBA is tough but I think I got the stats to apply. Just wondering if it is worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to get varying answers on this question. Some people are firm believers that it's "top 20 or bust". Others like myself think that it depends on the program and what you get out of it. Not all of us can afford nor do we have the time or grades for a top 20 MBA. There are some quality joint programs out there associated with various schools. Especially regionally. So while I will answer, yes a top 20 education is ideal, not everyone has the ideal situation. You can still get the skills that you need at a top 50 or 100 school if its a solid program. You are right, science and business is a rare mix and that will put you an advantage not only in your personal life but also in professional life. Also joint programs often "waive" the required work experience. Now if you want to go to top 20 and you aren't in their pharm school, that would be an issue, I'm not sure how that would work.

But that was my long answer to your last question, the short answer is I don't think its worth it but that is my personal opinion for what I want to do with medicine. I just want to go into hospital admin while practicing or maybe run my own private practice, etc. If you want to do the investment end of pharm with brokers, etc then a top 20 will also help you break into certain fields.

:luck:

thankyou for ur response. iT was helpful