Top MD school friendly to international undergrad background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samuel984

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm planning to get my greencard, take prerequisites and apply for MD schools in 5 years. I got my undergrad degree outside of US/Canada. I'm curious what are my chances to get into top MD school if I'll have good prereq GPA (take in 4 year university extension school), MCAT, research, etc? In another word, what are the MD schools friendly to people who got bachelor degree outside the US, and how much does my foreign undergrad degree hurt my application to these schools?
I've already checked MSAR before, but it doesn't specify people with my situation. Hope to know someone who got similar experience. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your other questions are irrelevant at the moment. First things first:

What's your country of origin?
Where are you in the green card process?

Reactions: 1 user
Your other questions are irrelevant at the moment. First things first:

What's your country of origin?
Where are you in the green card process?
A country in Asia. I'm still applying green card and I expect I can obtain it soon.
I just hope to know how much does my bachelor degree outside the US would hurt the application to top MD schools. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
A country in Asia. I'm still applying green card and I expect I can obtain it soon.
I just hope to know how much does my bachelor degree outside the US would hurt the application to top MD schools. Thanks!
Gonnif has already answered your other questions. I wanted to know the country. But anyway, if I assume you are not from China, then it might be possible that you can make the 6 year horizon work out.

I'm from Taiwan. Many of my friends took around 1 year to get green card.

I'm from Taiwan. Many of my friends took around 1 year to get green card.
In that case, the 6 year horizon is reasonable. Gonnif has answered your other questions I believe.

If you are fixed on top programs only, given your undergrad etc, you will have work to do on the MCAT

@Dullhead Do you mean 6 years to prepare the entire application packages including taking courses, ..etc part time?
Is there any place I can see successful candidate with similar background as mine got into the top programs? I hope to know how much I should prepare and achieve. Thank !

@Dullhead Do you mean 6 years to prepare the entire application packages including taking courses, ..etc part time?
Is there any place I can see successful candidate with similar background as mine got into the top programs? I hope to know how much I should prepare and achieve. Thank !
I was thinking 4+ years to Green Card minimum, since you are still in college and have yet to look for a job. After job, they might want to wait 1 year before they apply for you, etc. During these 4 years you can of course take pre reqs while working. The last two years after your GC would be MCAT and then the gap year.

I'm saying the bulk of time for GC.

@Dullhead I'm currently a master student in California and I'm looking for job now. I'll use EB2 NIW to apply for green card based on my publications and citations, so it would be faster comparing with filing GC from companies. Thanks for calculate that for me :)