top med. schools that don't screen before sending out Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

Let's start a list

Members don't see this ad.

most dont, they're happy to take your money even if you're not qualified

Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Hopkins, Baylor...

Members don't see this ad :)
Add Pritzker (U of Chicago) to the list....

Not a top school, but GW does that too.
Why do they do that? Is it soley to take our money or does anyone know of any other reason to not screen applicants?

I think it's just to take our money, especially since many secondaries are just a re-hash of the AMCAS...at least, that's basically what Yale and Hopkins are...maybe others are more extensive.

To anyone who is currently applying, if you haven't figured it out yet, you soon will learn that the admissions process is really a huge rip off, for the most part. Each school will demand an $80-100 check for the secondary app, which many times only requires you to write your name and address and other basic info on their form and mail it back with your check. Some will have very small essays included that don't really let you tell the school anything about yourself. The vast minority will have multiple "difficult" essays. But for the most part you're just giving them more money for nothing. If they didn't really just want your $, then why not screen more rigorously before the secondary is sent out? Even if you have low enough scores that probably won't get you into the school they will still send you the secondary 9/10 times, maybe 10/10 times. I'm glad I'm done with that all of the BS.

miked,

I dont want to get in the way of university bashing here, but at least on the G'Town app, and very likely others, they write a careful warning about what types of students tend to get in, so if you arent really there then you are warned not to send a check. I mean, it is possible that they just want to make sure they see if someone has ridiculously odd circumstances but low numbers, something that might otherwise simply cutoff....

the list so far:

harvard
yale
columbia
hopkins
baylor
pritzker
washu

vhawk01 said:
miked,

I dont want to get in the way of university bashing here, but at least on the G'Town app, and very likely others, they write a careful warning about what types of students tend to get in, so if you arent really there then you are warned not to send a check. I mean, it is possible that they just want to make sure they see if someone has ridiculously odd circumstances but low numbers, something that might otherwise simply cutoff....

I didn't mean low numbers as in like a 2.0/20. Notice how I saw low enough numbers that probably wouldn't get you in. I'm talking about the people with 3.2-3.3/27-28 scores. Sure, you have a shot if you're in this range. I don't doubt that for a second. But honestly what are the chances? Not good. G'Town and others realize you have a pretty small chance at making it into the class of 100 or so final people - and in this scenario I still would argue that they would still offer you the app with the intent being mostly to take your money.

updating:

duke
cornell
penn
harvard
yale
columbia
hopkins
baylor
pritzker
washu

ones that actually screen: