Top, mid, or low tier schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedventure

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked but I have heard these terms being thrown out in a lot of these forums. Can someone explain the difference between top, mid, or low tier schools. For example is top schools ranked from 1-20, mid 20-50, and low below 50?

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to pre-med.

There is no firm definition of these terms, so "high/mid/low" means something completely different to different people. At the end of the day the only meaningful thing to consider when you're applying is looking for schools that traditionally accept students with your level of stats and background, and then when/if you get multiple acceptances you can worry about factoring the nebulous "prestige" factor into your decision-making process.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if this has already been asked but I have heard these terms being thrown out in a lot of these forums. Can someone explain the difference between top, mid, or low tier schools. For example is top schools ranked from 1-20, mid 20-50, and low below 50?
I like to point out that there are at least 30 schools in the class whenever somebody says "top 20,"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In some contexts, like business schools and law schools, tiers make sense since they are usually correlated with their graduates ability to find employment in the field after graduation. Graduates with JDs and MBAs may not be able to find suitable employment from lower ranked programs given the competitiveness of the field, declining job market, and greatly expanded enrollment of students in those programs. With medical school it’s a bit different since there are so few programs and an increasing need for / shortage of doctors. Because of this there really aren’t “low tier” programs in the traditional sense meaning someone is at risk of finding employment or not being able to move on to residency (note: this is for US graduates and not IMGs). Each program graduates a high percentage of their matriculating students who are then able to move on to residency and practice as a physician.

As far as what constitutes top, middle, and low tier, it’s largely subjective and based on ones enrollment. If you attend a program that is ranked #4 you might be inclined to say top tier is comprised of the top 5 or 10 programs. If you attend a school that is ranked #11 you might say top tier is up to 10, 15, or 20. TBH, having spent a lot time in areas where people are *obsessed* with rankings, I can honestly say I’ve yet to encounter someone who can clearly articulate the supposed benefits or substantial differences between one program and another.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, I should clarify. I have already committed to a medical school. I was just asking because of the step 1 P/F questions where other commentors are saying step matters. Thank you for all of your responses!