Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Top of the Line Loupes?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by dinesh, Feb 20, 2007.

1. dinesh

dinesh Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    What's a really top of the line set of Dental Loupes, with a light etc.

2. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Orascoptic and Designs for Vision are pretty much at the top and Orascoptic sells lights. I prefer Orascoptic (they're also the only ones that are water resistant - something to consider when you'll need to clean/wash bio-burden off).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. esclavo

esclavo from frying pan into fire
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    zeiss..... very expensive but many consider the company to be the grandaddy of optics....

4. vaio

vaio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

according to dentaltown sheervision makes the best light and you can hook it up to any loupe

5. license2drill

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Most of the companies use outdated JUNK frames....I think Surgitel is up there and a few of my class mates have Sandy Grendel loupes and they seem to be pretty well made.

6. rocknightmare

rocknightmare Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    its more about the optics than frames really...

which one gives you the best consistent clarity? that would be Zeiss only problem its heavy as hell

7. OP
    OP
    dinesh

dinesh Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    ;o

GOt a website in the US I can check/order from?

8. license2drill

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I agree but comfort should also play a large role...Nothing I tried compares to the comfort of the Oakley frames Surgitel offers.

9. virginiabeach

virginiabeach Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You also have to consider the fact that the oakley frame offered by surgitel is plastic which will probably tend to warp over time. I would think twice about spending close to a thousand bucks for a pair of loupes on a plastic frame. Especially since these things are being constructed to fit your interpupillary distance and any change in shape will cause strain on your eyes. Also, after trying out some classmate's loupes, ive noticed that the field of view in both designs for vision and orascoptic loupes seems to be a lot larger than that of surgitel loupes with the same magnification.

10. vaio

vaio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

DFV have oakley-look alike frames too, now...they call it the sports frame.
    i'm expecting mine soon...i dont care how they look, i just want a comfortable/lightweight frame

11. Truedat

Truedat Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Orascoptic makes the best actual lens and they just came out with a new frame
    made by the Italian eyewear company "Rudy Project" which look better than the
    oakley glasses and have a lifetime guarantee. I have them and most of our class does too. Heres a link to check them out.

http://dimensionsofdentalhygiene.com/ddhright.asp?id=1060

they are number five on the list of items. You won't find them on orascoptics website cause they just barely came out. But they are really nice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. muz

muz Member
    5+ Year Member

my surgitel oakley's are PIMP

13. rambo2006

rambo2006 Be a DDS or die trying
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Acutally, surgitel and q-optics are also waterproof. The q-optics rep visited our school with many other loupes venters and she said that they can even be submerged in water.

14. mochafreak

mochafreak registered quaffer
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The orascoptic rep just visited us last Monday and I saw the Rudy Project loupes. They are very nice and ironically the frames on the rudys are warranted a year longer than the titanium frames (that's what the rep said). They come in both TTL and flip-up. I went with the titanium frames though because I think the greater stiffness is important with loupes. As far as Rudy Projects and Oakleys go I've had both for sunglasses and the rudys have amazing optics and are very comfortable...I love my rudys.

As far as the rep goes, he could use some improvement. I wrote him an e-mail, waited two days and then called him with concerns over my order...and still no word. :mad: