Top of the Line Loupes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's a really top of the line set of Dental Loupes, with a light etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Orascoptic and Designs for Vision are pretty much at the top and Orascoptic sells lights. I prefer Orascoptic (they're also the only ones that are water resistant - something to consider when you'll need to clean/wash bio-burden off).

What's a really top of the line set of Dental Loupes, with a light etc.

zeiss..... very expensive but many consider the company to be the grandaddy of optics....

Members don't see this ad :)
according to dentaltown sheervision makes the best light and you can hook it up to any loupe

Most of the companies use outdated JUNK frames....I think Surgitel is up there and a few of my class mates have Sandy Grendel loupes and they seem to be pretty well made.

its more about the optics than frames really...

which one gives you the best consistent clarity? that would be Zeiss only problem its heavy as hell

zeiss..... very expensive but many consider the company to be the grandaddy of optics....
;o

GOt a website in the US I can check/order from?

I agree but comfort should also play a large role...Nothing I tried compares to the comfort of the Oakley frames Surgitel offers.

its more about the optics than frames really...

which one gives you the best consistent clarity? that would be Zeiss only problem its heavy as hell

I agree but comfort should also play a large role...Nothing I tried compares to the comfort of the Oakley frames Surgitel offers.

You also have to consider the fact that the oakley frame offered by surgitel is plastic which will probably tend to warp over time. I would think twice about spending close to a thousand bucks for a pair of loupes on a plastic frame. Especially since these things are being constructed to fit your interpupillary distance and any change in shape will cause strain on your eyes. Also, after trying out some classmate's loupes, ive noticed that the field of view in both designs for vision and orascoptic loupes seems to be a lot larger than that of surgitel loupes with the same magnification.

DFV have oakley-look alike frames too, now...they call it the sports frame.
i'm expecting mine soon...i dont care how they look, i just want a comfortable/lightweight frame

Orascoptic makes the best actual lens and they just came out with a new frame
made by the Italian eyewear company "Rudy Project" which look better than the
oakley glasses and have a lifetime guarantee. I have them and most of our class does too. Heres a link to check them out.

http://dimensionsofdentalhygiene.com/ddhright.asp?id=1060

they are number five on the list of items. You won't find them on orascoptics website cause they just barely came out. But they are really nice.

my surgitel oakley's are PIMP

Orascoptic and Designs for Vision are pretty much at the top and Orascoptic sells lights. I prefer Orascoptic (they're also the only ones that are water resistant - something to consider when you'll need to clean/wash bio-burden off).

Acutally, surgitel and q-optics are also waterproof. The q-optics rep visited our school with many other loupes venters and she said that they can even be submerged in water.

Orascoptic makes the best actual lens and they just came out with a new frame
made by the Italian eyewear company "Rudy Project" which look better than the
oakley glasses and have a lifetime guarantee. I have them and most of our class does too. Heres a link to check them out.

http://dimensionsofdentalhygiene.com/ddhright.asp?id=1060

they are number five on the list of items. You won't find them on orascoptics website cause they just barely came out. But they are really nice.

The orascoptic rep just visited us last Monday and I saw the Rudy Project loupes. They are very nice and ironically the frames on the rudys are warranted a year longer than the titanium frames (that's what the rep said). They come in both TTL and flip-up. I went with the titanium frames though because I think the greater stiffness is important with loupes. As far as Rudy Projects and Oakleys go I've had both for sunglasses and the rudys have amazing optics and are very comfortable...I love my rudys.

As far as the rep goes, he could use some improvement. I wrote him an e-mail, waited two days and then called him with concerns over my order...and still no word. :mad: