• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Ephesus

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
What are some of the top pre-med programs? What should I be asking? I am mainly interested in liberal arts schools.

NOTE: I mean programs, not majors, as there is no 'pre-med' major.

Auron

Cruisin' the Cosmos
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Harvard isn't bad. Its worth considering.

tgp511

10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Obviously those with a rigorous general education and a good science program. Undergraduate research opportunities are also important to consider.

Basically, look at your high school stats, see what tier of schools you can get into, research those schools that interest you in that tier, visit the ones that really interest you, and choose the one you think you will enjoy the most. Not just for academics, but the whole package, location, social scene, academics, etc.

3-4 of my friends chose schools just because of their reputation last year. Now they are getting transfer applications in to other schools because they hated where they ended up.

As far as liberal arts schools, Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, Swarthmore, Davidson, they all are known to have rigorous academic programs, for example. I know nothing of their undergrad research opportunities. I could talk to my friends at Amherst and Davidson to tell you what the social scene is like.

And I think the best response for this question is most respectable universities have a solid premed program. The level of sciences you are taking are not so advanced that they require lots of funding to offer them. So you should really choose a school that you can do WELL at.

About the Ads

Ephesus

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
I am interested in Amherst. I've never heard of Davidson. I would actually be a transfer student, and I fall into the top 5% of my class though my SATs weren't so good.

Thanks!

tgp511

10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am interested in Amherst. I've never heard of Davidson. I would actually be a transfer student, and I fall into the top 5% of my class though my SATs weren't so good.

Thanks!

Just understand that those upper level liberal arts schools have notoriously challenging academics. Be prepared to study.

tp709

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
Just understand that those upper level liberal arts schools have notoriously challenging academics. Be prepared to study.

YES. And be prepared to have to attend every single damn class and be alert and participate much (small class sizes), or else your grade will severely suffer.

If you like hands-on, in your face learning, the go for a liberal arts school. Otherwise, don't.

tp709

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
As far as liberal arts schools, Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, Swarthmore, Davidson, they all are known to have rigorous academic programs, for example. I know nothing of their undergrad research opportunities. I could talk to my friends at Amherst and Davidson to tell you what the social scene is like.

I've never heard of Davidson, but I would say Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Wellesley (if you're female), and maybe Middlebury/Haverford are the most well-regarded.

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I've never heard of Davidson, but I would say Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Wellesley (if you're female), and maybe Middlebury/Haverford are the most well-regarded.

Trinity University in San Antonio is another one

TCIrish03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
The Arts and Letters Pre Med track (as opposed to the Science Pre Med or BioScience) at Notre Dame is pretty good. You get most of the same sciences as the other 2, minus a couple electives, but this is made up for that you have to declare a second major like English, Psych, Anthro, etc.

If by the slim chance you apply to ND and matriculate, you better go to all the football games.

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
What are some of the top pre-med programs? What should I be asking? I am mainly interested in liberal arts schools.

NOTE: I mean programs, not majors, as there is no 'pre-med' major.

You can also check for schools that have close ties to a well-regarded state medical school. For example, if you wanted to go to UAB, I'd recommend my cousin's small liberal arts college. There's a very well-established friendship between the dean of the college and the dean of admissions at UAB. And as my cousin would agree, the academics of the pre-med track there are not nearly as rigorous, leaving you plenty of time to be an irresponsible undergraduate like him.

Other options are in-school linkages, although that wouldn't work for small liberal arts colleges. I know GWU has a program where you apply to its medical school during your undergraduate years. You work for the grades to get in, then maintain them, and then either you don't have to take the MCAT, or just have to make over a certain level (can't quite remember). You skip the whole application process, more or less.

maestro1625

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Eh, they're ok. Maybe it could be a backup :laugh:

Strong East Coast bias here... (after all, how could you people have never heard of Davidson?)

Carleton, Grinnell, Macalester, Kalamazoo, Oberlin, Kenyon,

edit: in general, any top LAC is going to have a good "pre-med program"... you can pretty much pick the best school... the problem is recognizing the lesser known schools.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Hilbert Space
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
mcat and gpa dwarf undergraduate school reputation.

that being said, any school on the usnews top tier research universities or top tier national liberal arts colleges will be sufficient to get into any medical school, the rest is up to you (although some on sdn forums claim that Vandy Med is impossible to get into if you aren't from an Ivy, I guess they ****ed up letting me in :laugh: )

About the Ads

soeagerun2or

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
Harvard hands down. Put that as your alma matter on an application and you're practically in. Then take into account with grade inflation it is Pass: A Fail: B and you can't get below a 3.0!

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Michigan has more matriculating students in to med school than any other school in the country :thumbup:

FizbanZymogen

Guitar Hero Champion
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
D.C.
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Michigan is known to generate tons of med students each year. Also everyone may not want to hear this but BYU is very well known to create a vast amount of matriculating med students each year too.

chaldobruin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Michigan has more matriculating students in to med school than any other school in the country :thumbup:

link? I'm pretty sure UCLA is first, I know they have the most applicants (705 or something) so I would think they'd have the most matriculants as well.

ssquared

10+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
sitting on the dock of the bay...
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Links to data:

UG with most white applicants: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/mwhite.htm

UG with most asian applicants: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/masian.htm

And the rest of the data because I don't want to post more links: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/race.htm

Of course, there are a lot of good schools not on those lists because they're smaller. For example: the #1 public school for percentage of applicants accepted is not listed, because it's smaller than any of the other schools. Just a thought.

Wrigleyville

Fugitive Tech Consultant
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Chicago, IL
Status (Visible)
Anywhere. It doesn't matter. Go to school in an environment you feel comfortable in and study whatever you're interested in. It does not matter one single iota.

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
fine, then it's #2... and christ allmighty I didn't realize there are so many asians on the west coast :eek:

acf11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2005
Status (Visible)
I would agree with many of the others in this post that it really doesn't matter where you go as long as you study hard (ie apply with a good GPA), do well on your mcat, have research and volunteer experience and other strong E.C.'s Go where you'll be happy!:)

hb2998

15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
link? I'm pretty sure UCLA is first, I know they have the most applicants (705 or something) so I would think they'd have the most matriculants as well.

UCLA is one of the top and it really feels like it. Premeds are EVERYWHERE! Seriously worse school to go to if you're premed. There are NO premed advisory board. The teachers are super hard on purpose because they know you are Premed. The curves are tough. The word "med-school" comes up waaay too often out of the student/professors mouth. Also, if you're premed you're constantly being put down by the professors (PhDs) as if you're not smart or you're selling out.

(bell curve sucks especially if you're competing with 2000 other Premeds who all know that a B+ isn't good enough.)

Cirrus83

Too old for this
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
ANY top school would be best so long as you make the pre-med requirements. The only reason I even say top school is because a 3.8 from Harvard is worth a lot more than a 3.8 from a state school. Other than that though, nobody cares whether you went to Harvard or Princeton for undergrad.

And any decent school would have sufficient support to help you along the way, regardless of whether they have an official pre-med program or not, so it's a completely moot point.

So go to whatever school you want to go to (well, the best school you can get into lol).

This isn't to say that you can't get into med school from a state school, but if you're asking what would be the top place to go if you wanna go to med school it's just the top schools.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.