Top Pre-Med YouTube Channels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E30M3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to build an up-to-date and comprehensive list of all the pre-med YouTube channels that are active and helpful. Here are some of my favorites, please add to the list!

DocOssareh
TheStriveToFit
Med School Insiders
Andrea Tooley
JustOsaro

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
How could I forget Student Doctor Thompson!

Reactions: 4 users
I just watch this on repeat:

And you know what you'll be sayin, bunch of losers sittin around in a bar... "Oh yeah, I used to be pre-med, it's a tough racket"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like to watch DocOssareh. I'm not very fond with Andrea Tooley.

Not a fan of her style or don't find the content useful?
Not a fan of her style, and the information she spits out. She provides misleading information to many viewers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Interesting. I haven't gotten too deep into her channel.

I like StriveToFit for entertainment value, she does a good job putting them together. DocOssareh gives good information but sometimes his videos are really drawn out and can be a bit dry. Med School Insiders has high yield information condensed in short videos but it's a newer channel so not that many videos yet. And Student Doctor Thompson is the man.

I personally like watching Jane and Jady, ladykayvlogs' older videos and coffeemugermd! Also I love JustOsaro's videos as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to build an up-to-date and comprehensive list of all the pre-med YouTube channels that are active and helpful. Here are some of my favorites, please add to the list!

DocOssareh
TheStriveToFit
Med School Insiders
Andrea Tooley
JustOsaro

I've seen the same five on youtube, but Strive is definitely the most well-done/high-quality channel.

That being said, Strive is also just a Vlog... so you end up just watching a stranger go to the gym and eat breakfast for 8 minutes, and then talk about something med school related for 2 minutes. Same thing with JustO.

If I had to pick one youtube channel for solid advice, with well-done videos, I'd pick Andrea Tooley. She's awesome, and she writes a lot on her blog too.

I've seen the same five on youtube, but Strive is definitely the most well-done/high-quality channel.

That being said, Strive is also just a Vlog... so you end up just watching a stranger go to the gym and eat breakfast for 8 minutes, and then talk about something med school related for 2 minutes. Same thing with JustO.

If I had to pick one youtube channel for solid advice, with well-done videos, I'd pick Andrea Tooley. She's awesome, and she writes a lot on her blog too.
She said HS grades matter when applying to medical school. She said if your GPA is low, maybe this field isn't for you. She's the one to talk.. She's an optometrist. Oh and rigor of UG can make or break your application. She provides no evidence and her statement is refuted by the AAMC chart.

Reactions: 1 users
Student doctor thompson is the GOAT

I like JaneandJady, Strive to Fit, Jenny Le, and Andrea Tooley.

She said HS grades matter when applying to medical school. She said if your GPA is low, maybe this field isn't for you. She's the one to talk.. She's an optometrist. Oh and rigor of UG can make or break your application. She provides no evidence and her statement is refuted by the AAMC chart.

She is an ophthalmologist by the way, not an optometrist.

Reactions: 7 users
Kevin Ahern's YT videos on medical school interviews (or any professional school really) is to the point and really good. Definitely helped me out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kevin Ahern's YT videos on medical school interviews (or any professional school really) is to the point and really good. Definitely helped me out!

I don't have any acceptances yet, but I watched those videos after my first interview and was horrified at how many things I did wrong.

I don't have any acceptances yet, but I watched those videos after my first interview and was horrified at how many things I did wrong.
Yes! I also recommend this book: Amazon product

Relatively quick read (200 pages or so), but goes over every possible thing you could want to know about interviews. A lot of it is common sense, but it is really nice to have it out in writing, and to have verbatim what adcoms from several schools have to say. PM me if you would like any other advice. :)

Yes! I also recommend this book: Amazon product

Relatively quick read (200 pages or so), but goes over every possible thing you could want to know about interviews. A lot of it is common sense, but it is really nice to have it out in writing, and to have verbatim what adcoms from several schools have to say. PM me if you would like any other advice. :)

I don't see any link to a book. What is the title and author?

I don't see any link to a book. What is the title and author?
That's weird. Sorry about that. Try this:

The Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty
Book by Rajani Katta, M.D. and Samir P Desai

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-25_8-38-7.png
    upload_2016-11-25_8-38-7.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 102
  • upload_2016-11-25_8-38-7.jpeg
    upload_2016-11-25_8-38-7.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 108
    272 bytes · Views: 92
    419 bytes · Views: 97
    425 bytes · Views: 111
    219 bytes · Views: 111
I'm hoping that means you realize that ophthalmology is one of the more competitive fields of medicine to match and is not, in fact, optometry.

:laugh:

Adding to the list:
DocOssareh
TheStriveToFit
Med School Insiders
Andrea Tooley
JustOsaro
Student Doctor Thompson
JaneandJady

I think these channels are a great way to learn relevant information while doing other things that preclude you from studying (like eating) or when taking a break :thumbup:

lol pre med channels. Why watch someone on youtube when SDN can give you much better advice? If your motivation stems from youtube videos, you're gonna have a rough time in medical school.

Why watch someone on youtube when SDN can give you much better advice?
Because youtubers don't rip you to shreds if you have a minor misconception about something :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Because youtubers don't rip you to shreds if you have a minor misconception about something :laugh:

True. But I'd rather get ripped to shreds about my misconceptions than to be misinformed by youtubers and not get into med school. Before I found out about SDN, I made SO many mistakes

lol pre med channels. Why watch someone on youtube when SDN can give you much better advice? If your motivation stems from youtube videos, you're gonna have a rough time in medical school.

I agree SDN is a valuable resource but you're comparing apples to oranges. If I have specific questions I can post them on SDN, but sometimes watching a premed video on YouTube is helpful to glean insight or a new perspective. I doubt anyone's motivation to pursue medicine is coming from YouTube, but if it's something you're truly passionate about, it's a great way to learn more.

Essentially what I'm saying is why not use both? They serve different purposes.

Instead of watching sports videos or comedy channels on YouTube during breaks, I watch premed videos which still serve as a form of relaxation. I think the increasing popularity of these premed youtube channels speaks to their value. But of course, to each their own. :thumbup:

She's an ophthalmologist not an optometrist. Also she was chief resident at Mayo so she's been very successful. I watch all her videos and I have to disagree with whay you're saying. She's not condescending at all and offers great advice. And tbh if you get terrible grades in high school, that is some indication of your study habits which will impact your college grades...

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Yeah that’s why I graduated with a 80 overall and had a 3.9 for two years. But good to know.

She's an ophthalmologist not an optometrist. Also she was chief resident at Mayo so she's been very successful. I watch all her videos and I have to disagree with whay you're saying. She's not condescending at all and offers great advice. And tbh if you get terrible grades in high school, that is some indication of your study habits which will impact your college grades...

It absolutely has ZERO bearing on med school. I graduated HS with a 2.1 and got into Mayo and Pitt. 100% bad advice.

Reactions: 4 users

Just because you're successful in your own career path doesn't mean you give good advice. Those aren't the same thing. And I 100% disagree with the hs in grades thing. I have a 3.9 in a competitive college and got alot of bad grades in HS.

Are you taking about for advice or entertainment? Honestly, most advice I've seen from med school YouTubers is decent at best and some is just bad (although there is a lot of good advice, but there is a certain danger to taking advice from a single person i.e. why SDN is king). Some of the more popular ones tend to give better advice though. I enjoy watching TheStriveToFit and EJFit. Prerak Juthani consistently puts out rock solid advice. If I had to pick one YouTuber to take advice from it would be him.

Ehhh, I've watched a lot of her vids and I don't really recall her saying any of those things. Maybe the rigor of UG, but I doubt it. Given that you thought she's an optometrist, you must be confused with someone else since literally all of her videos are medical school related. She's a very modest person....

Are you taking about for advice or entertainment? Honestly, most advice I've seen from med school YouTubers is decent at best and some is just bad (although there is a lot of good advice, but there is a certain danger to taking advice from a single person i.e. why SDN is king). Some of the more popular ones tend to give better advice though. I enjoy watching TheStriveToFit and EJFit. Prerak Juthani consistently puts out rock solid advice. If I had to pick one YouTuber to take advice from it would be him.

I like Prerak's advice but find he doesnt give much of it. his content goes on for too long and is inconsistent. He doesnt seem too focused on giving great content to his viewers as a "youtuber". He seems like a decent guy though.