top programs in southeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aemedl01

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wanting any sort of feedback that you may have from interviewing at programs like UNC, Vandy, Wake, MUSC, and Duke. I interviewed at these schools and I am wanting any last minute opinions or concerns about these programs before I finalize my rank list. My favorites were Vandy, UNC, Wake, Duke and for various reasons.
Vandy-great residents, good faculty, good case mix, great town.
UNC-friendly, strong residents, great caseload including transplants, good regional, strong reputation, good, but small city.
Wake-residents are very friendly, faculty seemed very personable with a variety of experience, limited transplant cases, strong regional program, strong reputaion, city small and a bit country.
Duke-residents a bit stuffy, strong reputation, good regional experience, very strong surgery program.
MUSC-cool residents, faculty turnover seems to be a problem, good chairman, but only there for 1.5 yrs, great place to live.

I appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i think i can provide info on unc and wake.

wake: friendly residents with approachable faculty, some of them are active in publication and are known in the anesthesia academia. the program has a very strong national reputation. the regional program is also strong, as well as its ob component. the anesthesia and surgery departments get along well. do kidney and pancreas transplants. the town is its major drawback depends on how you look at it. winston-salem is a small city that is self-contained. of course, you cant compare winston-salem with atlanta or other major cities in the southeast.

unc: chapel hill is a very college town, lots of young college students and young intellectuals. the town has more vibrance than winston-salem. i was surprised by the program, they really made an effort to know you. i have never seen a chair and program director showed up during our dinner. i was very touched by their personal touch as well as their effort to get to know you as well as helping you to know the program better. the hopsital is nice and new, with separate women and children's hospitals. the cases are adequate but i dont know about the complexity of the cases. they seem to do more transplant than wake but they have less ob volume. the program has an upcoming reputation. the chair, dr. boysen, had really turned the program around since his arrival many years ago. i didnt hear of any program changes during my interview.

hope this helps.

UNC: One very unique thing about this program is that they have daily lectures for 1/2 hour EVERY morning. The residents said that they liked it because they saw their colleagues on a regular basis and they got used to it. My impression from interviewing was that the relationship with the support staff and the rest of the health care team was very good. The nurses were so nice to the residents when I toured the OR. The biggest downside to the program that I perceive is the lack of reputation. The department is very encouraging of residents who want to get involded in other activities. Several residents are on the board of the resident ASA and they do well at the gulf coast resident research conference every year.

Duke: They are very strong in regional and they have some really cool attendings from the UK who teach regional. The PD is the VP of the Society for education in anesthesia and has published on education. This is the only program I came across that has night float for general OR. Some people might prefer call b/c they get postcall days off, but this brings more predicitability to your schedule than many places can offer. They expect the combined internship to become more humane given the new work hour regulations. One of my favorite programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard UAB is quite the schiz as well. If you can handle the emotional pain of being a resident of the state of Alabams. But all kidding aside I heard UAB is great.

I also heard Emory is good too but doesn't seem to get the same kind of rise out of people as Duke Vandy UNC, but none the less a name that is recognized everywhere in the glouious country

Hello,

Did anyone interview at WVU? I would appreciate feedback. If you interviewed there, what do you think of job prospects after graduation from WVU? Are you pretty much forced to stay in WVU or is the residency respected thruout the country? It is a university program.

Thanks!~

I loved UNC. I didn't interview at any of the other programs mentioned, but I thought UNC was great. Super friendly residents and faculty, and Chapel Hill is a great town. Great cases, happy residents, solid reputation. I have them ranked very highly, and would be quite happy to end up there.