Top psychiatry residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

:love: What are the top Psychiatry programs? Does it help to go to that medical school? USMLE step 1 average?

Can you provide me a small list?

Clinical, academic placement, other criteria, history of good fellowship placement?

You can also include Triple Board programs if they are well regarded.

Members don't see this ad.

:love: What are the top Psychiatry programs? Does it help to go to that medical school? USMLE step 1 average?

Can you provide me a small list?

Clinical, academic placement, other criteria, history of good fellowship placement?

You can also include Triple Board programs if they are well regarded.

Start med school first.

There's no objective list that rates programs on a whole.

There was 1 list made in 2005 that rated residencies only based on how much NIH funding it got for research purposes.

I mentioned this a few times but IMHO medstudents get this paradigm of locking onto the best program simply based on competitiveness and getting in there. Its a product of years of ultra-competitiveness.

Of course you should try to get into the best program for you, but picking a residency should be based on far more practical matters. E.g. several people already know they want to be clinical/community psychiatrists. If that's the case, should they be trying to get into the best program based on the amount that program received from the NIH for research? IMHO no.

If you really want to get into something tough and competitive, for the sake of such, go to a Siberian prison, and try to make it out alive.

The overwhelming majority of people want to do community/clinical psychiatry. In that case a program with an excellent & diverse clinical experience and quality teaching is important. The other factors such as the prestige aren't as important. Yes prestigious residencies are more likely to have good teaching, but there's plenty of great programs that can accomplish this that aren't on the top level of prestige. I'd still want the program to have some research exposure because any good doctor will want to keep on top of current data and avoid complacency. However research in this case is not as important.

If you do want to go into academic psychiatry, then that's different. You should be looking into the most prestigious programs with lots of research going on. If you want to go into a specific type of research, you'd want to go to the institution on the cutting edge for that specific field, and explore if the researchers in that specific area are looking for residents to join them. E.g. if you want PET scanners available for research you would like to do, obviously go for programs where the psych researchers have access to a PET scanner. If you want to work with the APA-you might want to see if the faculty has any people with past APA state/national experience.

If you don't know where you want your career direction to go in psychiatry, but do know you want psychiatry, I'd recommend a program that's good overall--research, clinical, and if its in an area you want to consider possibly settling down.

Check this out....
http://ap.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/30/3/239

Last edited: