Top schools reasonable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpompliano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising junior so my stats aren't completed yet but theyre extremely close to what's below:

University of South Carolina Honors College - bio major & business minor
cGPA 3.95
sGPA 3.88
MCAT 36
Shadowing - 1 minimally invasive spine surgeon (clinic and OR) & 1 sports medicine Orthopaedic surgeon (clinic) = 210 clinic & 90 surgical

I am still planning on shadowing a bariatric surgeon in clinic and OR as well as a general physician in clinic.

Volunteering:
- 10 day service trip to panama providing free medical clinics to rural areas
- 2 semesters of volunteering at free clinic for underprivileged kids (1 day/week)

Work/Leadership:
Bio 101 TA for 1 semester
Resident hall government for 2 semesters
Member of honors premed society 4 semesters
Emt - nationally certified (& CPR/AED) work for 2 semesters
Student government for 2 semesters

Research:
3 publications on Intravascular ultrasound use during percutaneous revascularization (2 case reports & 1 project - 1st author)
Research assistant for duke pediatric neurology - effects of prenatal hypoxia on bdnf concentrations and epilepsy

I have other miscellaneous awards (presidents & deans list, certificate of academic achievement, etc) but that's the majority of it.. Typing on my iPhone so let me know if you need me to elaborate at all.

My only ties are to NC but I want to go to a top 25 school. Haven't researched them too much yet, but preliminary list:
Harvard
Stanford
VCU
Nyu
Duke
Unc
Yale
Johns Hopkins
(not all I'm considering, just the big names)

I know a lot is interview and other factors, but how do I look so far? Pretty good or stupid and dreaming haha

Members don't see this ad.

Each of your three pillars (GPA/MCAT/EC) are all very strong. Bear in mind that applying to top tier institutions is always a crapshoot, but you're very competitive and should fare just fine if you submit on time, have a decent PS, flip secondaries fast enough, and don't bomb your interviews.

Not sure if serious, but you have a great shot! I would think that a person with your stats, MCAT, and EC's would know that it would be reasonable to apply to top schools. Just saying (no offense intended).

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha none taken. Honestly, just trying to consume more information. Once you get up to a top 25, every little bit matters on the application. I was really hoping for one of my ec or schools to spark a comment from someone on room for improvement. I think I am too much of a cookie cutter applicant and need a way to diversify?

plan to apply to some safeties. Lists like that are why kids with high stats have to reapply.

You seem a little cookie cutter, but your numbers are good.

I agree. Any ideas for diversification? Haha I swear I'm more interesting in person, but I've been working hard covering the basic ecs so I need to branch out now. Everyone recommends the basic club leadership or something like that. Any advice for something unique?

Especially because a lot of my hobbies are athletic related. For example I've played intramural sports every semester and wakeboarded since I was 12, but that's not exactly something you can put.. Can you?

Put anything that you really care about or that makes you unique. If you have spent that much time doing something that you really enjoy, it is a good part of you that you will want other people to see also.

Especially because a lot of my hobbies are athletic related. For example I've played intramural sports every semester and wakeboarded since I was 12, but that's not exactly something you can put.. Can you?

You can put it in your application if you have continued it during college.

Your stats and overall app seem pretty good, but definitely add several more safety schools. As was mentioned already, the top schools are a total and utter crapshoot.

Yes, you can and should, to help you look well-rounded and more interesting.

Is your campus close enough to civilization that you might take on a service/eventually a leadership role with an organization off campus? Maybe coaching kids in a sport you love or teaching ESL at a community center, for example, as they'd cover two areas you don't mention, namely teaching and nonmedical community service.

The shadowing plan is good.