Top Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental#1

Fla DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This Question is from Top Score Test #1 for GChem:

PbO(s) + CO(g) --> Pb(s) + CO2(g)

What is the Oxidizing Agent?

A.PbO
B.CO
C.Pb
D.CO2
E.None of These

I thought B. CO would be because CO --> CO2+ 2e-= Reduced (RIG=Gain) So the Reducing agent would be PbO. PbO is being oxidized (Oil=loss) so CO is the oxidizing agent. The answer is A. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

dental#1 said:

A.PbO
B.CO
C.Pb
D.CO2
E.None of These

I thought B. CO would be because CO --> CO2+ 2e-= Reduced (RIG=Gain) So the Reducing agent would be PbO. PbO is being oxidized (Oil=loss) so CO is the oxidizing agent. The answer is A. What do you guys think?

In this problem the C on CO is oxidized from a +2 to a +4. Pb is reduced from a +2 to a 0 (ground state for elements in their natural state). So by analogy, PbO would be the oxidizing agent and CO would be the reducing agent.

dental#1 said:

A.PbO
B.CO
C.Pb
D.CO2
E.None of These

Pb in PbO(s) has +2 while Pb(s) has an oxidation number of 0 so it is reduced and PbO is the oxidizing agent

Members don't see this ad :)
Notoriousjae said:
dammit tom servo beat me to it

DAT date of August 11th here, you freaking out yet too? (I need to get off SDN though - just sucks up the time)

tom_servo_dds said:
DAT date of August 11th here, you freaking out yet too? (I need to get off SDN though - just sucks up the time)

Do you even need to ask? I am in freak out mode 24/7. Normally, I come on SDN when i'm taking a break from studying so i guess it works out. good luck to you on the DAT tom servo, i'm sure you'll kill the test.