chinochulo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2004
Status
Sitting in an OR case right now, guy is 72" 384.7lb for an umbilical hernia repair. PMHx significant for "chronic pain". The patient told me his pain guy writes the meds. Reviewed his meds:

Diazepam 5mg qid
Carisoprodol 350mg q6h
Lyrica 100mg tid
Oxycodone 180mg q3h
Morphine SR 800mg q5h

postop pain control is going to be a bitch :(

geauxg8rs

10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I just can't believe he is not on something for breakthrough pain (just kidding). He prolly needs some Actiq for the breakthrough breakthrough pain.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Quick, the guy is desatting; give some narcan!

Sitting in an OR case right now, guy is 72" 384.7lb for an umbilical hernia repair. PMHx significant for "chronic pain". The patient told me his pain guy writes the meds. Reviewed his meds:

Diazepam 5mg qid
Carisoprodol 350mg q6h
Lyrica 100mg tid
Oxycodone 180mg q3h
Morphine SR 800mg q5h

nctxil

Anesthesiology
10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Wow! Lyrica 100mg TID!! That's insane.

These cocktails never cease to amaze me and they always seem to be for "chronic pain". I love the consult for post-op pain control before the case starts. The prescribing pain doc is never available to treat their patient as an inpatient.

DistantMets

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Diazepam 5mg qid
Carisoprodol 350mg q6h
Lyrica 100mg tid
Oxycodone 180mg q3h
Morphine SR 800mg q5h

I'll bite...from another pain doc in town, we inherited a guy who had a remote T/L fusion that got horribly infected and 8 surgeries later he ends up with a dilaudid pump. He was getting an "ungodly" dose in it per my attending (not sure what dose that would be) and was getting 1000 PO dilaudid tabs a month. I think we changed him to morphine/clonidine in the pump, and weaned him down to 400 dilaudid a month. His pain was actually a little better...probably one of the more clear cut cases of hyperalgesia I've seen.

Tenesma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
the surgeon is an idiot for doing an elective case on this patient without demanding that the opioid regimen be appropriately managed and decreased...

Tenesma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
recently had somebody try to self-refer themselves to me as a potential new patient - complaining about how she can't afford health insurance because oxycontin costs her about $800/month - and she was offended that i would ask $xxx for an evaluation...

am i missing something here?

lobelsteve

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Canton GA
www.stevenlobel.com
Status
Attending Physician
recently had somebody try to self-refer themselves to me as a potential new patient - complaining about how she can't afford health insurance because oxycontin costs her about $800/month - and she was offended that i would ask $xxx for an evaluation...

am i missing something here?
The last guy got a 20% cut.