Top Three Criteria After You Found Your Pharmacy Field of Interest

Style

In the Moment
Jan 16, 2010
Texas
Status
Pharmacist
So you found the pharmacy field you would want to work in. You may even have several jobs lined up for that specific field of pharmacy. Now, what are the top THREE things you're looking at when comparing between companies? Please list them in order of priority.

These are just some to choose from:

1. Benefits
2. Pharmacist Overlap
3. Pay
4. Location
5. Computer System
6. Hours
7. Stability of the company
8. Pace of Work
9. Vacation time
10. Advancement opportunities

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
(1) Work environment
(2) Joy of work
(3) Pay/benefits

StaviZFingerZ

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
1. Primarary job description requires use of my creativity.
2. Work from home.
3. Set my own schedule.

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
1. pace of work - are there frequent periods of downtime? is it possible to take extra time off for lunch if needed to run an errand or go out to eat? is there adequate time to get calculations and paperwork done? Answer must be yes.

2. Quality of staff. A ****ty job with a great staff that becomes like your 2nd family can be a great job. Meanwhile an awesome job with staff and coworker pharmacists who are hard to deal with, please, i'd rather not have the stress of dealing with a partner or a tech who is constantly stressed out, anti-social etc.

3. advancement potential - is it a site or location within a large company that is getting recognition for achievement? Ie is the location a good one to use as a stepping stone , do bosses come around frequently to discuss business operations? Or is the facility one that is regularly **** on by corporate, for example never passing audits, staff that could care less, poor performance. not a good place to start a career. In the case of hospital - I would ask, does the DOP have pull with other hospital administrators - if so, your dept will get the funding for initiatives you need to stand out and increase your status. If pharmacy is treated as an afterthought and dumped on by hospital administrators , watch the **** out. A great hospital job usually starts with a great DOP advocating for you. Likewise, a corporate job with a boss that will go to bat for you with the regional management is likely to be a win as well.

4. Benefits / vacation. for example, does the company pay cash for call ins, or compensate with extra vacation time. is health insurance a "cadillac" plan or ****ty third rate with a high copay. Can you "bank" vacation days for years, or choose to take payouts?

But really, in the end, i'll probably be happy with any job, as long as I'm treated fairly and the pace of the workflow is appropriate. All this **** is just icing on the cake, so to speak, although really it would be sad to have to work with a grumpy, stressed out staff

edit: forgot one key thing - Pharmacy Parties - the frequency of them and how much money is budgeted! A great party once a quarter or a couple times a year does a lot to build team morale! I dont know what it would be like to work in a pharmacy that doesnt do either cookouts at work or arrange social events during time off, like bar nights, bowling, lasertag, etc.

Last edited:

Style

In the Moment
Jan 16, 2010
Texas
Status
Pharmacist
Interesting. I would have thought location would be one of the top three for more people.

njac

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Now headed all the way west!
Status
Pharmacist
Interesting. I would have thought location would be one of the top three for more people.
For me, because I am looking at a specific specialty, I currently can't say "only in the Southeast" because there's nothing open there at the moment.

So location matters, but at this point in my career it can't be my #1 factor.