Top Tier Pre-Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amnesia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've search for a list of them, but no avail. Basically, I am looking for a school that is a good all around school for all the medical fields that can open doors to others. I am looking to become a radiologist, but I am not sure yet. I don't want to go to a school solely based on radiology when in fact it turns out I do not like radiology.

Any help will be fine. :)

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

amnesia said:
I've search for a list of them, but no avail. Basically, I am looking for a school that is a good all around school for all the medical fields that can open doors to others. I am looking to become a radiologist, but I am not sure yet. I don't want to go to a school solely based on radiology when in fact it turns out I do not like radiology.

Any help will be fine. :)

Thanks! :thumbup:

You can pick up a copy of US News. Or just apply to Ivys or big name schools.

As for opening up doors, that all depends on how well you do in Medical school. Any medical school will get you to where you want to go, just do well in your classes, get good recommendations and damn fine board scores.

I subscribe to US News and did read the list of the top 50 colleges in both lists. ;)

I am just worried about going to a crap medical school accidently and then saying "whoops - I should've gone ____ for _____"

thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, are you talking about medical school or college for premed?

amnesia said:
I subscribe to US News and did read the list of the top 50 colleges in both lists. ;)

I am just worried about going to a crap medical school accidently and then saying "whoops - I should've gone ____ for _____"

thanks.

There's very few medical schools in the US in trouble.. I think one's Howard due to a high rate of disciplinary action taken against their graduates and Drew is in trouble because the hospital is listed at the bottom 1% of accredited hospitals in the US.

Either way though, you can succeed. Look at who the chief resident of Radiological Oncology was at Hopkins who's now moving on to Harvard. A Carib grad. It should be noted too that Caribbean schools (at least the big ones
) have low disciplinary action records (outside of Spartan).

Brandeis U. has a very good premed program/overall science department, if you are asking about good premed universities. You get lots of attention from the premed committee, most of my friends are going to top medical schools who applied (one is going to the Harvard MD/PhD program), and the premed administration makes sure you're always on track with application details/deadlines. Check it out. :thumbup:

I'm guesssing you're looking at undergrad schools. My suggestion is to pick a school that's had experience in sending kids to medical school. You'd also be well-advised to look for a school connected to, or near a medical school or hospital. That way, you have plenty of chances to shadow and participate in medical research.

I went to a powerhouse undergrad (Duke) where our pre-med advising center was a well-oiled machine. It helped me to have people around who knew a lot about the schools that I was applying to and the schools that would cater to my interests. Of course, there's the downside that you'll be surrounded by more than your fair share of obnoxious pre-meds. If you're really in HS, its too early for you to be worrying about what med school will position you into good radiology programs. Your first priority should be in getting into a reasonable undergrad school and then getting good grades your first year. The other things will come a little later (volunteering, research, etc...).

amnesia said:
I am looking to become a radiologist, but I am not sure yet. I don't want to go to a school solely based on radiology when in fact it turns out I do not like radiology.

You don't learn about any specialities like radiology when you're in a premed program in college, if that's what this refers to. You actually don't learn anything about medicine in college, other than basic sciences like biology and organic chem. While I think Brandeis is great, and I'm certainly a biased alum, most 1st tier universities will have a solid premed program and you'll probably be perfectly fine at most of them. I just found that since Brandeis is pretty small (~3000 undergrads) you get a lot more attention from advisors than at a huge university, so perhaps that is the way to go.

Radiology is a dangerous field at that. It'll fry your balls, no joke.

Fermata said:
No kidding......all that time you're gonna spend at the beach.
* takes notes * :D

Take a look at Hopkins for undergrad -- its definitely a hard-core premed program. Its fairly competitive for many, but it doesnt have to be (it depends on who you decide to hang out and study with.) It definitely will give you a great education, alot of opportunities for research and for tutorials with docs. Also, hopkins hospital is always top ranked, and you can work for and shadow docs there as an undergrad. either post here or PM if you have more questions about hopkins!

:)

~~
Hopkins Class of '05

TTSD said:
Either way though, you can succeed. Look at who the chief resident of Radiological Oncology was at Hopkins who's now moving on to Harvard.

I think that person posts in the Rad Onc forum actually.