Top Tier vs. Middle Tier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moleculardesign

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was just wondering, what's the difference between a top tier medical school like say Hopkins and a middle tier school like say Boston University?

Does a top tier school mean that it will be more competitive (b/c everyone is really really smart?) and that it would be harder to get into a good residency? Is it just for the prestige that people choose top tier schools?

What is really the best route to go when choosing which medical school you want to go to?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting choice for your first post. I'm not sure where you're at in your pre-med status, but the best way to pick a school is to see how you match up to their MCAT and gpa stats, pick a location that you'd like to live in (and of course, apply to all of your in-state schools), see if there's a particular focus you're interested in (clinical/research/policy/international), and read up on the schools' web sites to find a good fit. Generally, applying to 15-20 is probably a good idea. Good luck.

what schools focus on international medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that was quick!

Well I guess I meant-- is going to a top tier school necessarily better than going to a middle tier school? Or is the overall idea just to get into a medical school?

(I'm a junior this year and took the mcat over the summer.)

Wow that was quick!

Well I guess I meant-- is going to a top tier school necessarily better than going to a middle tier school? Or is the overall idea just to get into a medical school?

the idea is to get into any medical school in your favored location.

Wow that was quick!

~85% of medical school education is the same (same classes with the same goal of doing well on the USMLE); the rest of the difference is accounted for by educational philosophy (PBL vs. lecture vs. independent study), timing of clinical exposure, etc.

USMLE factors more into residency placement than the name of the school.

i think it matters more if you want to go into academic medicine. PhDs can be awfully snobby about your work if you didn't go to a top tier program.

~85% of medical school education is the same (same classes with the same goal of doing well on the USMLE); the rest of the difference is accounted for by educational philosophy (PBL vs. lecture vs. independent study), timing of clinical exposure, etc.

USMLE factors more into residency placement than the name of the school.

This is anecdotal, but I've run across more than one residents that made general comments that they are very impress with the students graduating at my medical school. Of course, this is entirely subjective.

I think what counts the most is clinical experience you'll get, rotation sites, and elective opportunities. Although minor, how helpful and accommodating the administration are to medical students can make little day to day issues so much better.

My goad right now is just to get in! Even it's it's frikking 10 tier I don't care!

This is anecdotal, but I've run across more than one residents that made general comments that they are very impress with the students graduating at my medical school. Of course, this is entirely subjective.

I think what counts the most is clinical experience you'll get, rotation sites, and elective opportunities. Although minor, how helpful and accommodating the administration are to medical students can make little day to day issues so much better.

and the bolded portion of your post really isn't any way correlated with either USNews ranking, sadly...

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering, what's the difference between a top tier medical school like say Hopkins and a middle tier school like say Boston University?

Does a top tier school mean that it will be more competitive (b/c everyone is really really smart?) and that it would be harder to get into a good residency? Is it just for the prestige that people choose top tier schools?

What is really the best route to go when choosing which medical school you want to go to?

Thanks!

The difference between a top tier and a mid tier is generally connections. A mid tier school will often have several people who are well-known and respected in their respective fields. A top tier school will usually have many faculty who are well known. IF you get to work with them, getting a letter from them can definitely carry some weight during residency applications (although it definitely is not going to help you get into a top residency if your grades and board scores suck).

Schools often also take a lot of their own into their residency programs, so that's a definite advantage if you get in somewhere like Harvard, which has many great residency programs. Of course, there are top schools that have terrible residency programs in some specialties, and there are mid tier and lower tier medical schools that have top residency programs in some areas.

So yes, there are advantages to going to a top tier, but they're not really enough to seriously influence your decision unless you are really equally in love with two schools and they're giving you an equal amount of financial aid.

Hi everybody,

Thanks!
If you have the board scores then it really doesn't matter where you go. Of course faculty at the top tier medical schools will know residency program directors more intimately, but if you are a good student, and you have good grades it really doesn't matter. I encourage you to apply broadly with a nice layout of top, mid, and lower tier schools because this process can be pretty unpredictable, so you don't want to throw all your eggs in one basket.

Of course faculty at the top tier medical schools will know residency program directors more intimately,

Not really. They will, however, perhaps know their own school's residency directors better.

It's somewhat of a hard question when comparing schools by rank. There is some benefit to your med school pedigree but it is very hard to measure because there are about a dozen non-school specific factors that are going to be more important to residency directors -- things like Step 1, you clinical year rotatoin evaluations, recommendations, research, etc etc. So basically, if you are amazing, you can end up at your dream residency from anywhere, and if you are awful, you aren't going to get much leverage from a brand name school.

The difference between a top tier and a mid tier is generally connections. A mid tier school will often have several people who are well-known and respected in their respective fields. A top tier school will usually have many faculty who are well known. IF you get to work with them, getting a letter from them can definitely carry some weight during residency applications (although it definitely is not going to help you get into a top residency if your grades and board scores suck).

"Big name" cuts two ways. You are often better off with a less well known connection who is willing to actually get on the phones and use his pull to help you than you are knowing someone reknowned who won't do more than write you a rec.

Wow that was quick!

It doesn't matter. Go where you feel like you fit in the best. There are plenty of lower tier schools that will give you training that is just as good and even better than the top tier school. Guaranteed. Research is a huge factor in how schools are ranked. So some schools might be ranked higher not because they are a "better" school, but that they just received more research funding. Apply broadly, keeping in mind you should go where you like the faculty/students the best.

"Big name" cuts two ways. You are often better off with a less well known connection who is willing to actually get on the phones and use his pull to help you than you are knowing someone reknowned who won't do more than write you a rec.

Sure, assuming someone well known isn't going to do that for you. A lot of our "big names" are actually very involved with the students.

This may a dumb question but as an international applicant I always wondered what exactly is a top tier vs. mid or low tier? Is it the top 10 schools based on the usnews ranking? is it top 20?