Topics at do school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic171

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much math is involved in do school? Also, how much genetics in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

How much math is involved in do school?

Very little. If math happens to be one of your major weaknesses, you always have your fingers and toes to assist you.

Also, how much genetics in med school?

As for genetics, I think you do need to have some familiarity in the subject. I think that most medical schools do require applicants to take at least one basic genetics course.

Anyways, you shouldn't worry so much. You'll be fine. :)

Good luck.

For the most part, the only math you will run into is during your physiology course. Most of it in the respiratory (ugh!) and cardiovascular system. It is simple math, but you do need to use some algebra from time to time. If you spend a bit of time with the equations, you can understand how increasing or decreasing certain things will affect other things. I found this approach to be much easier than just memorizing a bunch of facts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I was curious because math is a weak subject for me. I have a hard time with physical science because of it. I keep my grades up by lots of studying, but I hate it. Sound like after undergrad my dilemma will be over though.

I second that math isn't a huge deal but you do need to be able to do some basic algebra fairly easily. As far as I can remember we have used math for: Renal, Hematology calculations, Biochem, Cardio (Phys and Cardiology)and for some basic statistics. Overall if you can do enough math to get through general chemistry that is all you need.

AS for genetics, I don't know about other schools but KCOM teaches you whatever you need to know about genetics and genetic disorders.