Tops score 2 questions. Please clarify!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navneetdh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In glucose degradation which is true?

A. Oxygen is teh final acceptor of electrons
B. Water is the final acceptor of electrons
C. Oxygen is not necessary for ATP synthesis
D. Water is not produced
E. A and C are true

Ans is E.

Ok i get that B and D are definitely false.

so I was left with A and C. Those two statements seem like oximorons to me. If oxygen is the final acceptor of electrons then it must be necessary otherwise the electrons will get backlogged and the cycle wont continue.

secondly, if they are saying that oxygen is final electron acceptor then they are assuming the TCA cycle and Oxidative phosphorylation as part of glucose degradation. Which is relative I guess. But ok i can accept it. So how can they say oxygen is not necessary for ATP synthesis?? only gycolysis is anaerobic. If they assume for A. that the degradation is all the way to the oxidative phosphorylation, then those steps need oxygen.

:mad::confused:

Next Question is

which of the following exhibit hydrstatic skeleton?

A. Planaria
B. Annelids
C. Arthropods
D. Snails
E. A, B and D

Ans was E.

Ok i was really scratching my head on this one because i thought only echninoderms exhibit hydrostatic skeleton. AND THAT WASNT EVEN AN OPTION!!!! wth

please help anyone.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In glucose degradation which is true?

A. Oxygen is teh final acceptor of electrons>>Under aerobic conditions, cellular respiration is comprised of glycolysis, Kreb cycle, and the electron transport chain. The electron transport chain ends with O2 as the final electron acceptor. This produces maximum amount of ATOP (36).
B. Water is the final acceptor of electrons
C. Oxygen is not necessary for ATP synthesis>>The cell can still produce ATP under anerobic conditions, by switiching to alcoholic or lactic fermentation. Under such circumstance the cell produces minimum amount of ATP (2). Nevertheless, it's still producing ATP without the need for any O2.
D. Water is not produced
E. A and C are true

Ans is E.

Ok i get that B and D are definitely false.

so I was left with A and C. Those two statements seem like oximorons to me. If oxygen is the final acceptor of electrons then it must be necessary otherwise the electrons will get backlogged and the cycle wont continue.

secondly, if they are saying that oxygen is final electron acceptor then they are assuming the TCA cycle and Oxidative phosphorylation as part of glucose degradation. Which is relative I guess. But ok i can accept it. So how can they say oxygen is not necessary for ATP synthesis?? only gycolysis is anaerobic. If they assume for A. that the degradation is all the way to the oxidative phosphorylation, then those steps need oxygen.

:mad::confused:

Next Question is

which of the following exhibit hydrstatic skeleton?

A. Planaria
B. Annelids
C. Arthropods
D. Snails
E. A, B and D

Ans was E.
Hydorstatic skeleton is seen in case of animals that "drag" themselves along by squeezing their muscles. This is seen in case of all worms (A and B) and snails. Hence, choice E is the correct answer.

Ok i was really scratching my head on this one because i thought only echninoderms exhibit hydrostatic skeleton. AND THAT WASNT EVEN AN OPTION!!!! wth

please help anyone.

thanks

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

oh my god i feel like an idiot now that you explained the first question!!! duh afcourse ATP is produced. I just realized that ATP is even produced in glycoolysis and no O2 is need there either. arghh. I hope i dont make such idiotic mistakes on the exam. :eek:

And thx for the second answer as well. :D