1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Topscore Biology

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dentalstu02, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Dentalstu02

Dentalstu02 Member

I just went through topscore and the biology section had multiple stuff about porifera, protostomes, and a protonephridial system. Are we supposed to know this? I am pretty sure its not in the kaplan book...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    Honestly everything is fair game for the DAT. But recently Ive been noticing a trend that most of the "weed out" questions are coming from the taxonomy/plants section. I would try to know everything as possible. I mean "protonephridia" was like a "whoa" for me until I noticed "nephridia" that is seen before right.

I would make sure you know everything from the Kaplan book. I think topscore is just messing with our heads a little bit.

DesiDentist

4. Dentalstu02

Dentalstu02 Member

Thanks desidentist,
    I have heard that the princeton review mcat biology section is a better review for the bio section on the dat than kaplan. For stuff like hormones, heart related stuff, maybe more. For those of you that have taken the dats before, did you feel tha kaplan didnt cover everything (not including classification)???
    Please help!!

5. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member

Kaplan cover just about everything.....

You don't really have to go into detail on hormones and stuff, just memorize them. They are not going to ask questions that are too deep. However, a bunch of questions Kaplan did not go over. I did well in my bio classes, that is why I still did well because I remembered them from the classes I took.

Before my test, I went over the bio MCAT notecards, I thought that helped. I think a good thing to do is to scan over some MCAT book, and read about the things DAT book didn't go over, to refresh your memory. (that is if you want to get above 21).

If you know everything in DAT Kaplan book, you should be able to get above 20.

Don't worry about the classification stuff, my DAT test did give me a few of those...trust me, not a lot of ppl will get them right anyways...

One important thing is keep things organized, don't confuse the function of chorion and amnion, or function of citric/calvin cycle, or type of repirtatory function that the earthworm etc.... Someone may forget in stressful condition, so make sure you make it clear what's what.

good luck...

6. vixen

vixen I like members

thanks ohgee!!! :)

7. Dentalstu02

Dentalstu02 Member

Thanks! I am kinda worried though because different people are saying different things. I now realize that the exam can vary for different people, especially bio..

8. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    The exam does differs greatly for different people, however everybody wants to get a great score. Study up on everything and try not to leave any subjects to chance.

A score of 20 in Bio means you missed roughly 4-5 questions. Getting only 3 questions wrong could raise you to a 23. That's a nice difference and those extra 3 points might be just what you need to raise your overall from a 19 to a 20, etc.

The taxonomy stuff is boring and quite unnecessary, so spend as much time as you can on it. Don't put off other subjects, but for sure become familiar with the section. If push comes to shove, then there are better things you can remember, but if you have the time then hit the taxonomy (and ecology, etc.) stuff as hard as you can.

You should be fairly surprised with your scores come game day.

9. Dentalstu02

Dentalstu02 Member

Gavin,
    Are you sure that missing 4-5 is only a 20? It seems like everyone says that there are a bunch of random uncovered by kaplan questions on the exam, does this mean you have to get everything else correct to get above 20?

10. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    Missing 6 might get you a 20, depending on the mood of the DAT gods. Nah, I was a bit harsh with those figures. Good figures are posted below...

11. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    I suppose I should say that on average, the scores break down in Bio like this:

# Correct/Score

40/29
    39/26
    38/24
    37/22
    35/21
    34/20
    32/19

You don't want to get below a 19 on this section. BTW, I got these numbers straight from the ADA. Missing those few crazy questions plus one or two others will put you at a 19-20. It really pays to miss few questions in this section.

12. Dentalstu02

Dentalstu02 Member

Thanks for the post...i guess it all depends on your exam..i sure hope i dont get classifications that are not covered in kaplan:))