Technology Torrents at Starbucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tristy

BairesYarnCreation @ etsy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Do you know if torrents work in Starbucks (I mean, with their wireless)? I can't find a way to bypass the stupid firewall from school (I've tried with changing ports, doing it with SSH and nothing seems to work :() so I was wondering if maybe I could get utorrent to work at starbucks (or other place with wi-fi).
Thanks!

Tristy

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. It works at my Starbucks.

Although I would caution you about downloading illegally. Most Starbucks require payment. Even those that offer free wi-fi require username registration and password.

Which means if Starbucks' IP was flagged for illegal downloads, they could pin it on someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
No but trying to avoid the school firewall and use someone else's wifi (and IP) to download a torrent usually suggests illegal activity is taking place.

No but trying to avoid the school firewall and use someone else's wifi (and IP) to download a torrent usually suggests illegal activity is taking place.
Not really. Firewalls block all torrents, legal or not. We can't determine what kind of torrent this person wants to download based on the data that has been provided. Jumping to conclusions that the data does not support is faulty thinking.

How (who?) are you creating your secure tunnel (with)? If you tunnel your school they won't let you torrent.

There are several alternatives. Some are free (though you may need additional s/w) others charge a nominal amount. Regardless of what you use, keep in mind Netops at your school will mark you for excessive usage if you use up a lot of b/w as you download an image of freeware software (which is what we're assuming you're using it for - if not, disregard everything I said here).

Another alternative is to get a broadband wireless card for your pc. Not free but you're not tethered to your school this way and can have internet access anywhere service is available.

Or really just get internet access @ home and have at it.