Total cost of attending SGU, AUC, Ross, SABA, SMU, St James?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dotdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to see if anybody knows total cost of attending the following schools:

SGU, AUC, Ross, SABA, SMU, St James

By total cost I mean tuition, books, rent, food, etc.. in other words how much in total I would need over 4 years to attend each of the above schools. Please post as much details as you can, preferable break down of all potential expenses since I am trying to understand total cost.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that you need to secure about $250,000.

I am looking to see if anybody knows total cost of attending the following schools:

SGU, AUC, Ross, SABA, SMU, St James

By total cost I mean tuition, books, rent, food, etc.. in other words how much in total I would need over 4 years to attend each of the above schools. Please post as much details as you can, preferable break down of all potential expenses since I am trying to understand total cost.

tuition at St James $14,600 for year 1 then about $21,000 the years after
just about the lowest tuition of all of them so around 78k for all four years in tuition, then living expenses comes out to around 160k borrowed.

Go to the SJSM web site the tuition is posted and current, it's one of the many reasons I went here. MD=MD

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow - that's a lot cheaper than I had heard it would be. But I was only looking into SGU, really...

(This is in reference to AUC, Ross, SGU)

From what I have read, heard from students and seen on the websites, that is the safe amount you should secure although you would probably use less.

It all depends on your lifestyle and spending habits, too.

There are a few threads from students on valuemd about their costs, but in general, you can get away with spending all $250,000 by eating out, living in your own large space, buying items that make you comfortable and traveling often. On the other hand, you can be super frugal by living in a modest apartment (and/or share a place), cooking your own food and staying on the island for all basic sciences.

Tuition and other expenses are usually listed on the school's websites.

I am looking if anybody can comment on their own expereince if you are student in any of the schools or if you know somebody who goes to one of the above schools, I mean I also heard 250, 300, etc.. numbers but I am looking for some more specific information since each school is different.....

I am looking if anybody can comment on their own expereince if you are student in any of the schools or if you know somebody who goes to one of the above schools, I mean I also heard 250, 300, etc.. numbers but I am looking for some more specific information since each school is different.....

Go to the school's webites. Don't be lazy.

I am not lazy I did go to school websites but in my opinion they are only good to see tuition cost because thats exactly how it is. Maybe they are also good for rent but thats under question, all other expenses such as food, transportation, cell, etc.. they dont really tell you and most importantly I dont think they even have correct estimates so I am looking for some real life cases from people who actually know the actual total cost!

Go to the school's webites. Don't be lazy.

dotdoc I thought I was clear? Guess not I'm a 2nd year at St. James.:sleep:

That is what I'm borrowing, about 25k year one ( over now) then 36k for the next loan ( just approved) this is total tuition and living for a whole year for me. with what I borrow it will come up to around 140k for me

Yes I got you crystal clear thanks! But you only covered St James cost, now I am looking for others to talk about their experiences of SGU, AUC, Ross, SABA, SMU cost.....

dotdoc I thought I was clear? Guess not I'm a 2nd year at St. James.:sleep:

That is what I'm borrowing, about 25k year one ( over now) then 36k for the next loan ( just approved) this is total tuition and living for a whole year for me. with what I borrow it will come up to around 140k for me

Ross estimates the total cost will be $210,000. I think I can do it for a lot less though. I'm moving down with my fiancée who is also attending Ross.

I'm a MS III from SGU. Prior to starting my clinical rotations I have already borrowed $110,000 and so by the end of 4th year I will be at least 200K in debt, probably more like 220K. I should add that I don't borrow the most allowed but try to cut down wherever possible, but tuition is very high and there are lots of school fees that just pile up.

Ok so from your post I see that SGU would cost me between 220 to 250 in total depending on my lifestyle....

How much do you spend on food? any other epenses such as cell, transportation, etc..?

I'm a MS III from SGU. Prior to starting my clinical rotations I have already borrowed $110,000 and so by the end of 4th year I will be at least 200K in debt, probably more like 220K. I should add that I don't borrow the most allowed but try to cut down wherever possible, but tuition is very high and there are lots of school fees that just pile up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Saba's costs are:
$59,680 total for basic sciences
$46,600 total for clinical's
--------
$106,280.00

That includes Tuition, Room and Board, Books, Health insurance and Phone/Internet.

I personally will be sub $90,000 because my housing, health insurance and internet are are almost half what they have in their estimated expenses, all depends on how frugal you can be. My biggest expense is food, the one thing on the island that is literally 3-4 times as much is the food cost. So, I know a couple students literally eating off the island (avocados, bananas, mangos and other things growing) and saving a ton of cash.

Saba's costs are:
$59,680 total for basic sciences
$46,600 total for clinical's
--------
$106,280.00

That includes Tuition, Room and Board, Books, Health insurance and Phone/Internet.

I personally will be sub $90,000 because my housing, health insurance and internet are are almost half what they have in their estimated expenses, all depends on how frugal you can be. My biggest expense is food, the one thing on the island that is literally 3-4 times as much is the food cost. So, I know a couple students literally eating off the island (avocados, bananas, mangos and other things growing) and saving a ton of cash.
thats not too bad but it costs more than that, how in the hell will you pay for all that beer? ( you are canadian right?) LOL ( just kidding) there is other expenses so I would expect your amount posted plus at least another 40 to 60k added to it so still at the 150 to 160k mark.:smuggrin: BTW my room and board for internet/TV and electricity/ water/ rent is around 480 UDS a month we also have a washer. not too bad thats only 5760 a year, then add in food and flights to home and misc. So I need about 12k to 15k for living.

thats not too bad but it costs more than that, how in the hell will you pay for all that beer? ( you are canadian right?) LOL ( just kidding) there is other expenses so I would expect your amount posted plus at least another 40 to 60k added to it so still at the 150 to 160k mark.:smuggrin: BTW my room and board for internet/TV and electricity/ water/ rent is around 480 UDS a month we also have a washer. not too bad thats only 5760 a year, then add in food and flights to home and misc. So I need about 12k to 15k for living.

Add 40-60K for food, travel and other misc expenses? Might depend on the person but I think that's way too much. I've been averaging about 130 bucks a week with food, which includes some beer, If you eat out alot expect to pay 4 times that. I eat-in and cook so it saves alot. As far as travel I'm lucky because I have a ton of airline miles (used the American Airlines Mastercard for years) and haven't paid for a ticket yet. I wish the school would take credit cards because I could bank alot of miles. Phone I use Vonage and its 29 bucks a month unlimited. I own a jeep so there is costs associated with that but they haven't been much (oil change). Books, you can buy those dirt cheap off of other students and save alot. I can't really think of any other expenses to raise up the costs.

Yea not a year like I said total, its only 800 a month I spend on food and rent and such but many spend 1000 to 1200 a month for living so I think 12k a year is more like it. 12k x 4 years is 48k right?

Why do you own a jeep, do you really need it in saba? Also do you live on campus? and do you have a cell phone on the island?

Add 40-60K for food, travel and other misc expenses? Might depend on the person but I think that's way too much. I've been averaging about 130 bucks a week with food, which includes some beer, If you eat out alot expect to pay 4 times that. I eat-in and cook so it saves alot. As far as travel I'm lucky because I have a ton of airline miles (used the American Airlines Mastercard for years) and haven't paid for a ticket yet. I wish the school would take credit cards because I could bank alot of miles. Phone I use Vonage and its 29 bucks a month unlimited. I own a jeep so there is costs associated with that but they haven't been much (oil change). Books, you can buy those dirt cheap off of other students and save alot. I can't really think of any other expenses to raise up the costs.

Why do you own a jeep, do you really need it in saba? Also do you live on campus? and do you have a cell phone on the island?

From my friend who transferred here SABA is all Hill, the island is on big Volcano!
And super small. It's one of the reasons he transferred.:confused:

Saba is bigger than you might think, some students live around Hells Gate which is about a 20 minute drive to school. Cell phone doesn't cost me anything because I bought a "Chippie" card and its free to receive calls and I use Vonage as far as using a real phone. Using the cell phone is not a good idea down here, use Vonage, Skype or SunRocket.

Yea not a year like I said total, its only 800 a month I spend on food and rent and such but many spend 1000 to 1200 a month for living so I think 12k a year is more like it. 12k x 4 years is 48k right?

Like I said I'm spending about $520 a month on food x 20 = $10,400. You have to remember Saba is only 20 months of basic sciences and I plan on going back home for clinicals (no rent and much lower food costs, thanks to Costco). All my figures have me at sub $90K for everything. So, unless something major comes up and eats into my expenses I should be fine. I didn't includes the Falcon course which I plan on taking when I get through with basic sciences but that will add into my total around which is around 5K.

I never looked into St. James costs, they seem to be alot less even by Saba standards. What are your total costs for basic sciences and clinicals?

Like I said I'm spending about $520 a month on food x 20 = $10,400. You have to remember Saba is only 20 months of basic sciences and I plan on going back home for clinicals (no rent and much lower food costs, thanks to Costco). All my figures have me at sub $90K for everything. So, unless something major comes up and eats into my expenses I should be fine. I didn't includes the Falcon course which I plan on taking when I get through with basic sciences but that will add into my total around which is around 5K.

I never looked into St. James costs, they seem to be alot less even by Saba standards. What are your total costs for basic sciences and clinicals?

I think I posted around 76K for the total tuition.

For me it's way different, NonTrad, 42 3 kids and a wife she works but we still need the extra money, we used to make 80k+ now no where near that while I'm in medschool.

Regardless of its cost, if you attend SMU you may be wasting your money if you plan to train further or practice in California. The California Medical Borad recently decided not to recognize SMU for purposes of clerkships, residencies, or licensure. I don't know how this will affect other States.:confused:

Regardless of its cost, if you attend SMU you may be wasting your money if you plan to train further or practice in California. The California Medical Borad recently decided not to recognize SMU for purposes of clerkships, residencies, or licensure. I don't know how this will affect other States.:confused:
Is this a new decision or the same one as before? New would be bad for SMU:scared:

Cost may be an important factor for you, but you are probably also wanting to know whether or not you are going to get your money's worth. I'm a 4th semester student at SMU, and I do not feel I have gotten anywhere near my money's worth. I believe I have spent about $10,000/ semester on tuition alone, another $4,000/semester to $6,000/semester on residence hall and residence suite housing respectively. Not at all worth the money for me. I highly recommend you look at other schools. Best wishes!:)