Total Mil Med Meltdown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, I knew the vet care would be bad after this war on terror, but this is getting crazy....the bad press is everywhere and getting worse.

In my opinion, the best thing they could do is privatize the entire thing and send it out to contract bids for services like the department of corrections typically does.

Chaos. must be bad working at VA nowadays, lots of scruuuutiny

Members don't see this ad.

I'll bite on this thread. We've seen the CO of WRAMC go down and the Secretary of the Army. I heard news reports that possibly the Army SG and DoD Assistant Sec for Health Affairs may also be on the chopping block. It is not about the money. It's about the people. It's about the Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and there family members who have sacrificed themselves for this country.

Wow, I knew the vet care would be bad after this war on terror, but this is getting crazy....the bad press is everywhere and getting worse.

In my opinion, the best thing they could do is privatize the entire thing and send it out to contract bids for services like the department of corrections typically does.

Chaos. must be bad working at VA nowadays, lots of scruuuutiny

This has been happenign for decades, this event just happened to get picked up by the media. Unfortunately the most deserving are getting substandard care, and will likely continue like this till something very drastic happens. BY the way, TRICARE is a way of outsourcing care, but its worse than medicaid in payment and restrictions, so there are many quality physicians who do not accept it. Also there are many subcontractor physicians who are being used, but once again, not the cream of the crop by any means.

A total ousourcing would be too expensive, and fixing the system would go against military culture, so I think this problem will only get worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I'm worried about if it's this bad at the outpatient facilities at Walter Reed, how is it in the rest of the country? Because Walter Reed is our crown jewel," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.

Mr. Schumer, you have no idea.

I hope this stays in the public consciousness more than just a few days, despite my hunch to the contrary.

the army has long prided itself on how miserable they can make people. The lifers that stay in seem to think living in filth in the ghettos that exsist in posts,camps, and hospitals all over the world, make them tougher than everybody else. A decent quality of life is for those wussies in the Air Force

Rumsfeld institutionalized this "quit yer bitchin" and "suck it up" mentality. Anybody that didn't buy into the substandard way of doing business was shown the door (or they looked for it themselves).

Careerism in the volunteer army is also part of the blame. Everybody more worried about not rocking the boat in order to make it to the retirement finish line.

The ticket punching mentality doesn't help you know " I'm not really a soldier, I'm a doctor and I'm just passing through to pay back my ADSO" why make waves "?

I was treated 5x better by gun-bunnies in the artillery than the army medical dept. I hope there is a Stalinist purge that guts the whole freaken system clear down to the TMC commander in BF Egypt.