Total number of OMS programs applied to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFS08

Tooth Extractornator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a total of 17 programs. But many residents encouraged me to apply to 30 or more? Is this a must? Also is it possible to add other program designations after your Pass app has been completed?:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

You can add more if you want. I applied to 20 and am thinking of at least 2 more

Dont listen to anyone. Do what YOU want to do.

If you apply to 10 and don't get in, YOU have to live with that decision.

If you apply to 30 and you're so great that you actually get 35 interviews, well then YOU get to live with the wasted money spent on the applications.

But guess what's really expensive? Sitting out a year because you didn't match.

20-30 is VERY reasonable though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I agree that sitting out a year will definitely be more expensive. I think I'll consider adding 3 more just to make it an even 20 :).

This time I am applying to 48 programs. You want to get in - the above guys are correct it is much more expensive to sit out a year than pay an extra few grand for apps/ interviews.

Last edited:
follow up question: how many interviews do most people attend?

considering most interviews take 2 days...I doubt my school would allow me to attend more than ~7?

follow up question: how many interviews do most people attend?

considering most interviews take 2 days...I doubt my school would allow me to attend more than ~7?

Screw your school. You should be allowed to attend as many interviews as you can/want and not be limited by your school. I doubt they will actually limit how many interviews you can go to. And if they give you trouble, just screw them and go. This is your future career you're talking about. Who cares if some school admistrator gives you some crap about having to miss a few extra days of clinic.

With that said, I think you should aim for at least 7 or 8 to be pretty confident that you'll match somewhere.

Check this out for some match stats:
http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/stats/2012applstats.html

Obviously you may want to interview at more places if you want to find out about the different programs.

cool stats thanks, seems like matching to ranked programs beyond 5 is almost negligible

cool stats thanks, seems like matching to ranked programs beyond 5 is almost negligible

Don't discount those 6th and 7th ranked matches. All that matters is that you get in to a program, ANY program. Sitting out is very unsettling. I'm not OMFS, but I matched into ortho back in the day. It took me 3 years with 27 programs the first year (4 interviews) and 18 the second (7 interviews). The last year I applied to something like 40+, basically every program in the country except for a handful where I knew I had zero chance. I ended up matching at my 6th ranked choice (out of 8 interviews). Match can be very ugly. You'll probably meet some fellow applicants along the way who weren't blessed by the match and are reapplicants.

Apply to as many as you can afford, go to as many interviews as you possibly can. If you have interview conflicts, pick the one where you might have a better chance of getting in. By this I mean say you have a interview date conflict between the State U OMFS program and the Other OMFS program. Eleven residents at State U OMFS are graduates of State U Dental and the 12th resident is the son of an attending whereas the residents at Other OMFS programs come from all over the country. Pick Other OMFS program unless you are in the dental school at State U OMFS and think you have a good shot at getting in.

Thanks guys. WOW 48 programs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I need to add more programs then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But its really expensive!

Thanks guys. WOW 48 programs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I need to add more programs then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But its really expensive!

I believe 48 is an atypical number. If you ask residents they usually have 15-30 programs applied during the cycle. The purpose is to maximize the number of interviews you get.

I believe it goes deeper than that, in which you apply to those programs in which you can really see yourself for the next 4-6 years, possibly longer.

I believe 48 is an atypical number. If you ask residents they usually have 15-30 programs applied during the cycle. The purpose is to maximize the number of interviews you get.

I believe it goes deeper than that, in which you apply to those programs in which you can really see yourself for the next 4-6 years, possibly longer.

48 is definitely atypical. I knew a guy doing an internship last year that applied 60+, though. I just wanted to increase my chances of getting enough interview invites and subsequently matching.

Unless you have extremely high stats I would err on the side of too many programs applied to as opposed to too few.

Members don't see this ad :)
48 is definitely atypical. I knew a guy doing an internship last year that applied 60+, though. I just wanted to increase my chances of getting enough interview invites and subsequently matching.

Unless you have extremely high stats I would err on the side of too many programs applied to as opposed to too few.

I hope it works out

Wow!!! 60+ Programs?!!!! But correct me if I am wrong, if a school invites you for an interview would that mean that they are genuinely interested in you based on your stats? Or are some interviews courtesy? I applied to programs that I felt I have a strong chance of getting into only! I could apply to 30 programs but I feel I would be wasting my money if my stats are not what they want. Any thoughts on this guys?

Wow!!! 60+ Programs?!!!! But correct me if I am wrong, if a school invites you for an interview would that mean that they are genuinely interested in you based on your stats? Or are some interviews courtesy? I applied to programs that I felt I have a strong chance of getting into only! I could apply to 30 programs but I feel I would be wasting my money if my stats are not what they want. Any thoughts on this guys?

It's hard to gauge which programs will be interested in you. Since I applied to 27 last year, I can tell you that I received some interviews I never expected and didn't receive some interviews I did. Not all schools offer interviews strictly based on GPA and NBDE/NBME scores. As far as courtesy interviews, you'll probably only get them if you have a well-established connection to a school (i.e. someone picks up the phone). Most places won't waste their or your time and money for no reason.

It seems like recommendations for # of applications isn't something that can be given as a blanket statement because it varies based on the strength of the applicant. The point is to get your ideal # of interviews, so someone who can get 5-10 interviews by applying to 12 places is no different than someone who gets 5-10 interviews by applying to every place in the country.

Recommending that everyone spend the $ to apply to 30+ programs seems unnecessary for many applicants.

It seems like recommendations for # of applications isn't something that can be given as a blanket statement because it varies based on the strength of the applicant. The point is to get your ideal # of interviews, so someone who can get 5-10 interviews by applying to 12 places is no different than someone who gets 5-10 interviews by applying to every place in the country.

Recommending that everyone spend the $ to apply to 30+ programs seems unnecessary for many applicants.

True - but it's also hard to gauge how strong your application really is.

I applied to 24.

It's hard to gauge which programs will be interested in you. Since I applied to 27 last year, I can tell you that I received some interviews I never expected and didn't receive some interviews I did. Not all schools offer interviews strictly based on GPA and NBDE/NBME scores. As far as courtesy interviews, you'll probably only get them if you have a well-established connection to a school (i.e. someone picks up the phone). Most places won't waste their or your time and money for no reason.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I really hope I am not making a mistake applying to only 17 programs! So far that's the lowest number on here lol.

I agree with you that this, like many other topics in medicine and dentistry, can't be covered with a blanket number. It is a case by case basis. In my case, I felt the more the better.

To those who want to apply to more, you can always designate additional programs after your initial submission in PASS. A lot of programs with later deadlines haven't began their review or are in the process so there is still some time.

Today I tried listing more programs but being international and only looking for 4 year programs severely limits me lol. So I guess 17 is my lucky number :)

Today I tried listing more programs but being international and only looking for 4 year programs severely limits me lol. So I guess 17 is my lucky number :)

By international you mean on a visa status or an international dentist? Or both?

I applied to 26 schools last year with 8 interview invites.

this year I am applying to 40. My logic is that I do not want to know "What would've happened..."

A year unmatched can financially can be tough, but I'm having a good time where I'm at.

Apply to as many programs as you can afford and are comfortable. It gets expensive, but the interview trail was fun looking back on last year. That being said, i would only want to do it once. Very stressful time!

I got my number 1 so realistically, I only needed to apply to 1, but who would have taken that chance.

I applied to 26 schools last year with 8 interview invites.

this year I am applying to 40. My logic is that I do not want to know "What would've happened..."

A year unmatched can financially can be tough, but I'm having a good time where I'm at.

I definitely can not afford to sit out a year (internship or not). I pray I will get at minimum 7 interviews from the 17 programs I applied to. Good luck this cycle to everyone! :luck:

Apply to as many programs as you can afford and are comfortable. It gets expensive, but the interview trail was fun looking back on last year. That being said, i would only want to do it once. Very stressful time!

I got my number 1 so realistically, I only needed to apply to 1, but who would have taken that chance.

Congrats. I hope ill be singing like you come January 28!