Totally bizarre clinical question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdtobewhee!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at derm clinic my attending gave me this question. While seeing a kid with lice, my attending wants to know what the specifications are for this creature living -- ie: if the child had ingested the lice/eggs, is it possible for the lice to live in the GI tract. I would assume no, given that I think lice and their eggs are destroyed by heat. I'm supposed to give a quick presentation on lice on Monday, and would appreciate any help anyone can give. I've never been totally stuck like this before, and have exhausted all resources that I know of!

--mdtobewhee!

Members don't see this ad.

mdtobewhee! said:
So at derm clinic my attending gave me this question. While seeing a kid with lice, my attending wants to know what the specifications are for this creature living -- ie: if the child had ingested the lice/eggs, is it possible for the lice to live in the GI tract. I would assume no, given that I think lice and their eggs are destroyed by heat. I'm supposed to give a quick presentation on lice on Monday, and would appreciate any help anyone can give. I've never been totally stuck like this before, and have exhausted all resources that I know of!

--mdtobewhee!

I'll give you some advice, LOOK IT UP! There is resources out there for lice, if you simply google it, you will get tons, so do your homework.

p.s. you must not know many resources

Dude, if your best resource for medical information for a report to your team is SDN, you have problems. Try Up-to-Date, Harrison's, pubmed.com......

Members don't see this ad :)
mdtobewhee! said:

--mdtobewhee!

hmmm... heat? ha... how about HCl?!

tupac_don said:
I'll give you some advice, LOOK IT UP! There is resources out there for lice, if you simply google it, you will get tons, so do your homework.

exactly what i was thinking.

haha...exhausted his resources...that's hilarious. :laugh:

Hmm...are you sure you're a medical student???

tupac_don said:

stw2361 said:
Dude, if your best resource for medical information for a report to your team is SDN, you have problems.

blkkd said:
Hmm...are you sure you're a medical student???
I wonder why SDN has a lot of mean people...

I wonder this too
:S

unoriginal said:
hmmm... heat? ha... how about HCl?!

hahaha yeah thats what i was thinking :laugh: