• fight for my dream?

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

Wandered1982

10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
    Dear Acdom,
    I am 24 years old and I come from a Middle Eastern country that it is known for discriminating againist minorities. My family and I are victims of a former regime. When my family and I made it in the U.S. in 2002, I started attending school a month after I arrived in this country. My English was below average. I did my best to survive as an undocumented alien and as a student. I have never had a stable job, so I had to drop many courses at several occassions. My GPA is 3.0. I have many W's and 2 F's. I will apply for course forgiveness to remove the F's. Being a doctor is the dream of my life and that of my family. I support 3 members of my family. I live in a city where 200,000 people from my same race and ethinicty live. The majority of them don't speak good English, so it is hard for them to communicate with their doctors. Accordingly, I believe that the community needs more and more doctors who understadn their culture and language. Things have started to easen up a little bit for me. I devouted 90% of my time for studying. No fun or partying. I intend to raise my GPA and rock my MCAT. What are my chances of getting to UCSD. Will UCSD consider the hardship that I went through both in the U.S. and in my country?

I deeply appreciate your reply,
    thanks!!

Taty

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 6, 2002
    New York
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Dear Acdom,
      I am 24 years old and I come from a Middle Eastern country that it is known for discriminating againist minorities. My family and I are victims of a former regime. When my family and I made it in the U.S. in 2002, I started attending school a month after I arrived in this country. My English was below average. I did my best to survive as an undocumented alien and as a student. I have never had a stable job, so I had to drop many courses at several occassions. My GPA is 3.0. I have many W's and 2 F's. I will apply for course forgiveness to remove the F's. Being a doctor is the dream of my life and that of my family. I support 3 members of my family. I live in a city where 200,000 people from my same race and ethinicty live. The majority of them don't speak good English, so it is hard for them to communicate with their doctors. Accordingly, I believe that the community needs more and more doctors who understadn their culture and language. Things have started to easen up a little bit for me. I devouted 90% of my time for studying. No fun or partying. I intend to raise my GPA and rock my MCAT. What are my chances of getting to UCSD. Will UCSD consider the hardship that I went through both in the U.S. and in my country?

I deeply appreciate your reply,
      thanks!!

Sorry for harsh response, but I went through a little bit simular thing. Schools WILL not consider your hardships if you will not be attractive candidate for them. Hardships alone DONT make you attractive, believe me...You have to get a decent GPA and get decent MCAT, and AFTER you can write them a letter of intent and explain your situation.

I wrote a letter to my dream school, but my MCAT was below their average. They wrote me the nastiest rejection letter...So make yourself attractive candidate first and DO NOT make your hardships as an excuse..It will not work.

And yes if it is your dream than FIGHT for it. It took me 4 years....

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.