Totally Freaked Out After PCAT....Help Pliz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did the test and got a composite of 54....aaagggghh
Bio=46,
Chm=81,
Math=51,
Verbal=68
Reading oooh Reading=20.

So, I can only apply to the U of Minnesota as I'm unable to move to another state right now. Their stats are waaay higher for admitted students. My overall GPA=3.1. I have a BS in Biology & Nursing....been working as an RN for almost 5yrs now. Do lots of volunteer work but reaaally need to get to pharmacy school. Does anybody know what my chances are? My RLs are all good but I feel like my academic qualifications are weak. I plan to submit my supplemental applc in a week. Has anybody applied & knows if I even stand a chance? I'm I chasing the sky? The PCAT score just took all air outta me.....freaked out....

Members don't see this ad.

I would seriously consider moving to another state. You say you are unable to, but in all honesty if you want pharmacy that badly, you will find a way to move.
Your GPA is pretty low and your PCAT score is very low. Re-take the PCAT and study harder (use Dr. Collins you can easily get a 90+ in chem/bio/math with his guide).
You can try to apply, but the avg GPA for accepted students is 3.5 (and if you have below 3.0 or below 3.2 in the last 60 semester hrs, the minimum PCAT is 70).

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly every school is different, and with your degree you may be able to offset your PCAT score. My brother just got into Pharm school with a Composite of 57 (with nothing other than an AA degree from Community college), My sister got in with a 34 (but her GPA was 4.0). There is no way to know what they are looking for until you apply. If you honestly can not move then try to get in with your score you have nothing to lose by trying. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Best advice is to just apply and see what happens. There are standards set for everything, but with standards also comes exceptions in most cases. I have seen people getting into prestigious programs with far below credentials and some highly over qualified applicants get denied. So, you never know until you apply!

Thanks guys. I decided to apply and have them make the decision. I didn't think a GPA of 3.1 with a total of 282 credit hours is "pretty low" but who knows...hopefully my two bachelor's degrees count :( At this point, I can only work on my essays and hope for an interview spot.

If you don't have leadership/extracurricular activities, it'll be hard to get in. From what I heard, it might be more competitive this year.

You should have used Dr. Collins.

I used Kaplan and scored a 76 before I even took organic chemistry 1 or 2. I think I may have a good resolution for you. UMN has a 60 credit policy, where they count your GPA from the last 60 credits you have taken. You should contact them and get more information about it.

I used Kaplan and scored a 76 before I even took organic chemistry 1 or 2. I think I may have a good resolution for you. UMN has a 60 credit policy, where they count your GPA from the last 60 credits you have taken. You should contact them and get more information about it.
Thanks. My GPA for the last 60 credits is about 3.6 and overall is 3.1 so I qualified to apply without taking PCAT but now that I took it, I think it affected my chances. I will apply anyways and see how it goes.

If you don't have leadership/extracurricular activities, it'll be hard to get in. From what I heard, it might be more competitive this year.

You should have used Dr. Collins.
Oh great. The year I apply is the year the competition is stiff. Yeah, wish I knew about Dr. Collins earlier. I do have leadership/extracurricular activities but wondering if PCAT doesn't count more....aaaggggh

I scored a 20 on reading also. It's okay, just retake.

Reading doesn't matter. I got 20 and I probably have worse grades than you and I'm in pharmacy school. Just focus the science and math sections