totally screwed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

underpressure

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been sick all week. Tomorrow I have an interview, and I've lost my voice. What do i do???

Members don't see this ad.

I've been sick all week. Tomorrow I have an interview, and I've lost my voice. What do i do???

I had this happen to me. I called the day before the interview and explained that I was sick. They let me reschedule. Although it is pretty late now. If I were you I would call the admissions office if they are still open and try and reschedule.

can you eke out any words or sounds or is it like you're silent?

i'd probably find a way to suck it up and go. get some herbal tea, some ricola, and go to sleep early. not talk to anyone for the rest of the day. then, tomorrow, i'd bring a huge bottle of water and chloraseptic drops and talk as little as humanly possible until the real interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would drink tons of tea, get a lot of sleep, and hope that you can speak tomorrow. I'd suggest calling them now, and again in the morning to see if there's any possibility to reschedule, but I guess if you can speak well enough to talk to them over the phone.... ;)

:luck:

Yea if you can talk but just sound raspy I would probably still go especially if you really want to go to this school. What better way to stand out or show you really want to go to a school than go to the interview even though you are sick. Now if you feel as though you may get sick at the school during the interview than I may rethink going.

i wish i could reschedule but i flew in from out of town. i can painfully speak for a minute or two but its pretty unpleasant for me and anyone that has to listen

i wish i could reschedule but i flew in from out of town. i can painfully speak for a minute or two but its pretty unpleasant for me and anyone that has to listen

Even while drinking tea? Maybe you could extend that to three minutes.... I'd get a big thermos and bring it with you, and cross all toes and fingers while you're at it. Since you're in from out of town, I think you should show up regardless (unless, of course, you're actively vomitting or the like). Maybe you'll be able to speak a little better by then, and regardless, they're not going to be able to fill your spot.

Even while drinking tea? Maybe you could extend that to three minutes.... I'd get a big thermos and bring it with you, and cross all toes and fingers while you're at it. Since you're in from out of town, I think you should show up regardless (unless, of course, you're actively vomitting or the like). Maybe you'll be able to speak a little better by then, and regardless, they're not going to be able to fill your spot.

Oh, and of course be careful with the caffeine if you're sensitive. I overdid some black tea at a B&B the morning of an interview and was bouncing off the walls. :rolleyes:

i agree. bring a fat jug of tea and the chloraseptic numbing throat drops that i spoke of earlier.

Try gargling with some salt water. I lose my voice a lot and it helps. Just dont make the water too salty!

Members don't see this ad :)
i once interviewed when I was having massive GI issues. It was not pleasant. i was rejected

I would suggest using a remedy I got from one of my good friends

1) Karo syrup (like maple syrup but gross)
2) Baking Soda (just a shake or two)
3) Salt (slightly more of this than baking soda)

Mix them up and gargle with it. It will really hurt but you should be able to talk. It worked for me well enough to sing to a large crowd for 2 hours. Good luck!

I would suggest using a remedy I got from one of my good friends

1) Karo syrup (like maple syrup but gross)
2) Baking Soda (just a shake or two)
3) Salt (slightly more of this than baking soda)

Mix them up and gargle with it. It will really hurt but you should be able to talk. It worked for me well enough to sing to a large crowd for 2 hours. Good luck!

that sounds so disgusting. :barf:

bring a white board and marker. it might turn a 45 minute interview into a 4 hour monster, but you'll get there in the end

Man, that sucks. Can you call your PCP and see if they can call anything in for your voice? I'm sure they'll understand how important this is for you.

I have an idea. Go to the nearest Staples or whatever, and buy a small (8.5x11 or something) dry erase board. It'll be cute! That or you can play charades... :)

Trust me, they'll remember you!

Might help to take some honey as well...it coats the throat nicely and should sooth it a little bit. If you can get to a McDonalds or something, sometimes they have the nifty little packets and you can grab a bunch and suck on them throughout the day...might offer some relief during the day.

Paradoxically, a gargle with cayenne pepper in warm water also works.

Supposedly...