Tough Decision: Rochester or Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brsboarder

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got off the waitlist at Rochester, and need to decide relatively soon.

I loved it there, enjoyed the people, professors, facilities, everything.

However, it is more expensive, and its in Rochester. Also, Downstate's clinical years are supposed to be really intense and great. I didn't get an amazing feeling visiting Downstate, but know that most of my friends and family are in the NYC area. I'm not sure the exact price difference but tuition is 20k difference, however hosing is cheaper. Hopefully I can live w/o a car in Rochester as that would help things out.

So, what are peoples thoughts on the matter. Anything would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would refer you to this thread, for starters. Also, you need to sit down and figure out a reasonable estimate for the cost of attending each school. Is that 20k total or 20k per year? If it's per year, in lieu of some hefty financial aid from Rochester, I'd be heading to Downstate in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your decision. Ultimately you can't REALLY blow it either way.

If the past is anything to go by, 80% of people are going to tell you to follow the money. I'm one of them.

Kings County is definitely bada** (in a good way, IMO).

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of finances, lets say the difference is coming out with no debt or 60k in debt. I won't be facing too much more than that regardless of where I go

We could not even worry about the finances, because I'll factor that in once I get my package and have a converstation with my parents. So for now, I want to focus on the other factors: Rochester vs NYC, family, friends are in NYC. Its a big city, I'll meet people outside of my med school class, Great clinical years at Downstate, good experience, not too cold

Last edited:
In terms of finances, lets say the difference is coming out with no debt or 60k in debt. I won't be facing too much more than that regardless of where I go

We could not even worry about the finances, because I'll factor that in once I get my package and have a converstation with my parents. So for now, I want to focus on the other factors: Rochester vs NYC, family, friends are in NYC. Its a big city, I'll meet people outside of my med school class, Great clinical years at Downstate, good experience, not too cold

I never understand how people come out with no debt. I mean, you gotta eat and you can't work, right?

I guess your parents are probably paying, so why not let them have some input? Besides the objective considerations of money, there's not much that us random strangers can meaningfully add to the subjective argument for either school.

Personally I would go to Downstate because of family, NYC, clinical years and cost. However if you are interested in research, I think Rochester is probably the way to go. You might also want to consider where you would like to do residency… if NYC is your ultimate goal, then stay here and start making those connections.

Congrats and Good luck!

Follow da money...

I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this but 60k in debt for med school is nothing. Chump change. Even with the interest that acrues during residency you could easily pay that off during your first couple of years out. Throw a working spouse into the mix and you could probably take a good bite out of while in residency.

This is one of the rare cases where I'd say to go with your gut and not try to make a calculated decision. They are both well-respected if not incredibly prestigious schools and either will put you where you need to go.

while tuition difference is 20 k, there are two thigns u must consider, firstly cost of livnig around downstate will be a fortune. secondly there are rumors of big tuition hikes in state schools, when i withdrew from downstate one of the questions i was asked was if it was because i was afraid of tuition hikes in the coming years.
id guess the clinical experience in downstate beats rochester.

yeah, if I go to Downstate, my parents are going to try to help as much as possible. If I go elsewhere, they'll see what happens. I'm trying to see how other people guage the other things they value, friends, weather, clinical experience etc. I most likely want to do my residency in NYC, but does that mean I should pick Downstate? Rochester's match list is pretty impressive, and I'm sure its quite respected in NYC

I went to college in the area and it ended up being lots of fun – learned to ski, snowboard, etc. You will have a love/hate relationship with the snow and you might even miss it when you return home. I would like to add that not having a car in that area is terribly isolating.

from your posts, downstate seems much more convenient and i assume much more realistic for you, do you think by any chance you would do better at one than the other? or would be terribly disadvantaged?

Last edited:
No, I don't necessarily feel that way about friends/families. I'm playing devil's advocate and listing those things that are beneficial about Downstate to gauge how important other people view those benefits of Downstate