tough decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjr28

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been admitted to NYU med (full ride), Cornell med (half ride) and Harvard med (I haven't gotten the fin aid harvard yet, but I don't think it will be very much). So, my question is, which school would help me get the best residency (derm prob) and if it is the more expensive school, is it worth going into debt?

Also, if you had the chance to come out of medical school with not debt, would you take it over a top name school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you TRULY have your heart set on dermatology, then I would say go with Harvard. However, those are all good schools and you would do well going to any of them.

I believe NYU med has one of the most coveted derm programs in the nation. You go to NYU, and in-house, you are probably a shoo-in (I am assuming you'd keep up the good work in med school that got you to all these great schools in the first place). ;)

If not NYU, then Harvard.

And honestly if you want to do straight cosmetic botox etc derm then it makes sense to be in NYC, that's where all the high rollers would be ;)

Anyway you cant go wrong with any of these schools. best of luck.

EDIT--> Actually looking at the match list on the derm board, none of the NYU spots went to NYU kids. 2 of the 7 went to Harvard grads. 3 of the 5 Harvard derm spots went to Harvard. 2 placed at Northwestern, 2 at UCSF, etc

nEVER MIND what I said earlier. I think its clear. Go to Harvard. Like 10-15 kids apply for derm each year, which may make it competitive within the class, but it doesn't look like places are ever gonna turn down a Harvard grad (i know, i know some do but you know what I mean).

And dont worry about the $$, I mean... you do want to be a dermatologist, so I'm sure you're gonna pull some serious bank ;)
(I'm being facetious and serious all at once)

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, if you decide during med school that you really want to do something else, you'll be kicking yourself for not taking the full ride at NYU. harvard's name will help with getting into any residency though.

Have you thought through the derm thing?
I'd wanna go to NYU.... full ride would make med school SO much better.

Why derm!!!??????

I know its been discussed before, but I think its a little disturbing that many bright students like you would go into derm. Nothing against derm, but its true that its not the most challenging field. I mean, I understand the good pay and minimal hours are attractive, but is that what you really want to do? Even with the long hours, I'd rather get trained and have the ability to really help people.
Yeah, dermatologists work with serious diseases too, but probably not a lot (I may be wrong).

I don't know which offer I would pick. You can't go wrong with any of them. Half-ride at Cornell seems to offer the best of both worlds, but I'd have to wait to see the financial package from Harvard.

all of the schools you are debating over are great. Whats in a name. The name is important but it is not everything. No matter where you go considering the fact that derm is sooo competitive you are going to have to do well (AOA or something very close to it) and you should do some research and get to know people (well known) in the field. The name will help you but it will only go so far. You still have to do well no matter where you wind up going (Honors, AOA, research etc) Also it would be nice not to have to worry about student loans when you are finished no matter how much money you will be bringing in in the end. so with all that said a free ride is nice and no matter where you go just start early (do well in your classes, get involved with organizations and outside activities, get to know dermatologist who will help you and event write superb LOr's for you) and I am sure that if you start everything early and work it right you will get in whether you go to NYU, Harvard etc. :D