Tough Decisions... How do you decide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiling MD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on a tough decision. I love both aspects of pediatric dentistry and pediatrics but I can't decide on the two. I have followed both a pediatrician and a pediatric dentist, they both appeal to me on so many levels.
I love that both can have the flexibility I desire, especially when it comes time to start a family. There are pro's and con's in each, but none are so heavy that it outweighs one or the other. How do I decide?
I have been browsing both my MCAT and DAT books and they are kind of intermixed but I don't want to spend money to take both tests, I especially don’t want to dedicate more time to the wrong one.
So, again, how do I decide? Or- how did you decided if you were in a similar predicament...

Members don't see this ad.

I am working on a tough decision. I love both aspects of pediatric dentistry and pediatrics but I can't decide on the two. I have followed both a pediatrician and a pediatric dentist, they both appeal to me on so many levels.
I love that both can have the flexibility I desire, especially when it comes time to start a family. There are pro's and con's in each, but none are so heavy that it outweighs one or the other. How do I decide?
I have been browsing both my MCAT and DAT books and they are kind of intermixed but I don't want to spend money to take both tests, I especially don’t want to dedicate more time to the wrong one.
So, again, how do I decide? Or- how did you decided if you were in a similar predicament...

If you think you would be equally fulfilled by both paths, and you want family to be a priority, I would go with dentistry. It seems like its a quicker path to being in a good place to start working on a family than medicine. Just my 2cents, I never really gave this decision much thought because I just don't like mouths.

Dentistry is probably less painful.

Also, as someone has said, if you can think of doing something besides medicine with your life, you shouldn't be a premed.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you like to do procedures, or work with your hands, you might want to consider dentistry. However, as a pediatrician, you can specialize, so if there's any area of medicine that particularly interests you, you could focus on that and still work with kids. How common are pediatric dentists? I feel like a lot of dentists work with both adult and pediatric patients. Maybe it's just where I'm from, but everyone in my family goes to the same dentist and has since we were kids. So if you want to work in a small town, there may not be a need for a pediatric dentist. I'm not really sure on this, so I could totally be off base, just something to think about.

do you love dealing with their annoying and whiny parents?? I was a high school teacher for 2 years, and let me tell you, some parents make the job unbearable.

This is your tough decision? I hope it's not the toughest decision that you have to make.:laugh: :laugh:

Let me make some two suggestions
1. Ask anonymous people on the web for their suggestions as to what you should do for the rest of your life.

2. Go out, and research/experience what life in each career entails, what the ease(or lack of it) in entering each field is, and what kind of lifestyles each lives.

One of the two will answer your question to your satisfaction. The question for you to decide is which path to follow.

I find it humorous how your user name presents the very predicament you are in :D

Have you tried shadowing in both fields...if not that then, try to do it as soon as you schedule will allow. i am not telling you to do a lot of hours, but try putting 10-20 hours and after doing so, you may have a better idea and be able to make a decision.