• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

tough decisions... pitt BU (tufts?)

mzs55

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2009
  1. Pre-Dental
    Hi everyone. I'm thrilled and fortunate to have been accepted to a couple schools and now I really am at a loss as to which one I should choose. I keep going back and forth, so any insight would be a huge help. (i've looked at all the past posts comparing these schools but am still undecided).

Pitt - I was really impressed with the school but something didn't sit right for me when i interviewed. The few students I met had some really bad things to say about the school (mostly about the administration being out of touch and there being alot of beurocracy). If i had met happier students my impression of the school may have been much better, and since its so random who you happen to meet, I don't want to cross it off just yet. Do people generally consider Pitt a better school?

BU - I loved the school when I interviewed. students and faculty were very friendly, laid back, and seemed supportive of eachother. There are a ton of opportunities for research. But, the facilities didn't compare to pitt's and BU will cost about $50,000 more than pitt (i think). Also i'm not completely sold on APEX.

Tufts - I'm still waiting to hear back but I thought I'd ask. I loved tufts. Only problem is that I would have to take biochem this summer because I haven't taken it yet. I'm not sure if tufts is worth the extra hassle and stress that taking biochem would give me. If I had taken biochem I would go to tufts (if i get in). do you think its worth taking the class?

sorry for my rambling. I would really appreciate any thoughts!

HulaGirl5

10+ Year Member
    Mar 20, 2007
    New England
    1. Pre-Dental
      Hi everyone. I'm thrilled and fortunate to have been accepted to a couple schools and now I really am at a loss as to which one I should choose. I keep going back and forth, so any insight would be a huge help. (i've looked at all the past posts comparing these schools but am still undecided).

Pitt - I was really impressed with the school but something didn't sit right for me when i interviewed. The few students I met had some really bad things to say about the school (mostly about the administration being out of touch and there being alot of beurocracy). If i had met happier students my impression of the school may have been much better, and since its so random who you happen to meet, I don't want to cross it off just yet. Do people generally consider Pitt a better school?

BU - I loved the school when I interviewed. students and faculty were very friendly, laid back, and seemed supportive of eachother. There are a ton of opportunities for research. But, the facilities didn't compare to pitt's and BU will cost about $50,000 more than pitt (i think). Also i'm not completely sold on APEX.

Tufts - I'm still waiting to hear back but I thought I'd ask. I loved tufts. Only problem is that I would have to take biochem this summer because I haven't taken it yet. I'm not sure if tufts is worth the extra hassle and stress that taking biochem would give me. If I had taken biochem I would go to tufts (if i get in). do you think its worth taking the class?

sorry for my rambling. I would really appreciate any thoughts!

Tufts is about $15,000 "cheaper" :rolleyes: than BU. Biochem is pretty much a standard course for any dental school, so it'll be to your advantage to take it, whatever school you choose to go to. I would recommend you DO take it just so you'll be more comfortable heading into dental school. But that's just my opinion! Congrats on your acceptances:)

About the Ads

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
      10+ Year Member
      Jun 29, 2007
      1. Academic Administration
        not too much in this case. If it were the difference between instate tuition and the 80 grand/year for BU then it would be a different story...

if you're out of state for pitt the entire time, it's still significantly cheaper than tufts...?

80k/yr difference???

eventualOMFS

in another life...
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Jul 29, 2007
        Baltimore, MD
        1. Dental Student
          I just made this decision. Been accepted to both Pitt and BU, and I have decided to turn down Pitt's offer.

I too was exposed to several students that were very negative about the school. I tried to convince myself that it wasn't a huge deal. Yet these are the students who are hired to convince applicants to attend the school; how much unhappier are those in the background? Also, I wasn't crazy about Pitt's attitude. Many schools, including BU, acted pleased to have the interviewees there. Pitt was clear to us that we were lucky to be in their presence.

It was still a tough decision due to the cost difference. I almost daily find myself in a mini-panic over BU's tuition/fees...I'm trying hard not to worry, but it is certainly something to be aware of. I disliked Pitt enough to warrant the extra $$ in this case, though.

Dentgirl09

10+ Year Member
          Sep 17, 2008
          1. Pre-Dental
            That's weird. I would have died to get an interview at Pitt. I was looking fwd to my BU interview, but when I got there, the same thing happened .I guess Ijust met the wrong students. One of them told me, right before my interview, that she didn't like my interviewer. Said it was "personal". I dont know. It just made me uneasy. I mentioned this in another thread, but someone thought I was "bashing" BU. My point is, that I was just stating what my impression of tTHOSE 3 students (out of hundreds) at BU was. But the school itself seems great, and im sure there are great students there, too.

I suppose the lesson is, if you are unsure, go back to Pitt and see. B/c a few students opinion may not be everyone. Everyone has different opinions based on their experiences and expectations before starting D-school.

I don't know!!! I'm sure you'll be happy at either though.

xtractime

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Feb 23, 2007
            LA
            1. Dentist
              biochem is a pre-req at a large percentage of dental schools. like others have said, it would be to your benefit to take it anyways. it will be much harder in d-school than it will have been in most undergrad courses so taking it will at least expose you to some of it beforehand.

to me, student happiness is a huge factor of dental school. the interaction between the front office and student body is very important. you may not feel it that much in undergrad, but in dental school where your class is much smaller, having deans that listen and quickly act upon student requests is probably one of the most important things i have come to appreciate since starting dental school. our lives would be much more miserable without it. I would not take that part of your choice very lightly. I do not have any expirience with pitt, but you should get more feedback from other students.

goodluck with ur decision :thumbup:

paul510psu

10+ Year Member
              Jun 8, 2008
              www.facebook.com
              1. Dental Student
                I had the opposite reaction to a lot of the people on this thread. I had probably the best interview experience I've ever had at Pitt. All of the students seemed friendly and upbeat. They had very few negative things to say about the school and seemed genuine.

I also made my decision based on the character of the dean at Pitt. He is a class act and just a great person to be around, even the Pitt students said "our dean is great, anytime you have a problem he'll sit down and just listen to you". When I interviewed with him he made me feel like his equal, even though, at least academically speaking, I'm not in the same league. The man has like 5 degrees and he just acted like a regular guy during our interview by joking around and just having a good time getting to know me.

Either way you choose, good luck with your decision.

somethinpositiv

10+ Year Member
                Jul 20, 2008
                1. Dental Student
                  If you don't hear from Tufts, easy decision, go to Pitt. A list of pros and cons will show that is the clear choice.

If you hear from Tufts, it will be a tough decision. Who cares about Biochem lol, it's a class you should take before D-school anyways regardless of where you go, otherwise you'll be struggling to keep up with your classmates. I'm biased so I'd say Tufts, but it's really a toss-up.

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.