Tough ethical situation...help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
eff

Members don't see this ad.

ORIGINAL POST
So i'm doing my rounds and following a patient. I recently learned that one of my friends knows this patient and that there's an online group to support him and his family. I did NOT learn this by breaching privacy and telling my friend about my patients. I was simply writing on his facebook wall and saw a group with the name, clicked on it, and learned that it is indeed dedicated to this patient. I haven't told my friend anything and I don't think I will tell him that I know this guy as my patient. I should just keep that to myself.

But, would it be wrong to join the support cause for this guy? What about once I'm no longer caring for him...ie. when I change to a new unit/hospital?
Also, now that I know about this, should I tell my supervisor and be released from the care for this patient?

I'm new to this and don't want to do anything unethical or wrong!!
Please help!

thanks!

Deleting posts is for quitters. How do you ever expect to make it in medicine as a quitter?

pre-medical...:confused:

Anyways, why don't you ask the patient how they feel about this? It isn't wrong unless you start posting on the support group about the guys medical records. Supporting your patients is never wrong.

Are you a nurse or an RT or something? I don't see how joining a facebook group helps anybody get better. If you want to, join it. If you're really that torn up about it, consult the hospital's ethicist (although I'm pretty sure they'll laugh.) I personally wouldn't join it just because it's a lame idea that doesn't do much good for anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow...just, wow.

So i'm doing my rounds and following a patient. I recently learned that one of my friends knows this patient and that there's an online group to support him and his family. I did NOT learn this by breaching privacy and telling my friend about my patients. I was simply writing on his facebook wall and saw a group with the name, clicked on it, and learned that it is indeed dedicated to this patient. I haven't told my friend anything and I don't think I will tell him that I know this guy as my patient. I should just keep that to myself.

But, would it be wrong to join the support cause for this guy? What about once I'm no longer caring for him...ie. when I change to a new unit/hospital?
Also, now that I know about this, should I tell my supervisor and be released from the care for this patient?

Please help!

thanks!

Well played grasshopper. I can see you've been fishing around for dramatic ethical issue type topics to put in your personal statement. I don't even know how I could function with dilemma like the:laugh:se

Rounding as a pre-med? I must have come to medical school sorely underprepared.

Please help!

thanks!

Do what huh? Just what, precisely, do you perceive the ethical dilemma to be?

On another note, I've been following a patient on my service, and I recently discovered that this patient shops at the same walmart that I shop at. I did NOT learn this information by breaching his privacy! I simply have met the patient's family in his room, and saw said family shopping at the walmart while I was buying condoms and cranberry juice. What should I do? Do I need to find a new walmart to shop at? there are 5 on my street, how can I be sure none of my patients use them??!! On another note, should I talk to my resident and be released from this patient's care? If I do, can I keep using my regular walmart?????

wow...what's everyone got up their @ss....is it exam time or something?
1st of all i'm a med student..who cares if i didn't change my stupid profile
2nd some colleges really crack down on facebook use and I just wasn't sure if it is appropriate....
thanks for turning this into a joke

2nd some colleges really crack down on facebook use and I just wasn't sure if it is appropriate....

Actually, yes, it's exam time.

And actually, I seriously didn't understand your concern.

And I like jokes, don't you?

Would you have joined this facebook group if you didn't know of the link? If so,then join and keep things "under the seal" that should remain "under the seal". If this is a group to support someone who needs support and you are interested in providing support, then do so.

design another facebook page, using an "off-duty" pseudonym, email etc. Add the person's support group on that page.

Sweet, OP got deleted. Free for all! Bacon thread time!

I think the real problem here is that Facebook has clearly taken over the world.

Actually, in another thread from March of this year, you posted:
"I'm in grad school now and thinking of reapplying to med again. My other option is to do a PhD."

And in another thread, you talk about being in PT school.

You don't have to lie to make friends. :thumbdown:

"I'm in grad school now and thinking of reapplying to med again. My other option is to do a PhD."

:laugh: pwnd

:laugh:

:eek: people lie on the Internets?

maybe he's already done with the PhD and PT school...i got an email from an online program offering an MD in 6 mos!

I think the real problem here is that Facebook has clearly taken over the world.
:laugh:
You can chat on Facebook now too. My sis made this funny joke about chatting, "Facebook chat is weird. I don't know how I feel about it... It's a throwback to middle school." :p

worst post ever!