Tough semester coming up? how to deal with it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosminiacoban

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i got a tough semester made up of all science course coming up:

I'm a sophomore with a 3.7 cum gpa and a 3.4 sGPA so this semester is due or die and i am willing to work my butt off to get where i want. Only problem is i need sleep. My fellow pre-meds who pull off 3.8,3.9s and 4.0s sleep an avreage of 4 hours a night and i just cannot function with so little sleep. I need 7 and 8 and wanna cram in some exercise in there too...

Can you really find a balance between a tough course load and a healthy lifestyle? If so, describe how you managed to deal with it?

Members don't see this ad.

It's all about time management.

Find more efficient study methods and manage your time better. There should be no reason why you get less sleep than most medical students while in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just really make sure you manage your time. I know plenty of premeds with good grades who get enough sleep.

Learn the art of power-napping. If I get 5 hours of sleep, a 15 min nap in the afternoon will definitely keep me going until late at night. A quiet place in the library is an awesome place to accomplish this.

Find more efficient study methods and manage your time better. There should be no reason why you get less sleep than most medical students while in undergrad.

This. Unless it is finals week or something, there is no reason not to get 6-8 hours of sleep. My suggestion is to set aside time that is dedicated to studying each day. Write it out if you need to. I find that if I do this I am more productive then picking random study times.

Also, work on the best method of studying for you and your particular classes. There is actually a wealth of information on different learning styles. Take a little time on google and figure out which one sounds like you.

agreed. make sure your study time is focused and not full of distractions. you will get a lot more done in a short amount of time. also, keeping a healthy lifestyle (including getting plenty of sleep) will only help you do better.

agreed. make sure your study time is focused and not full of distractions. you will get a lot more done in a short amount of time. also, keeping a healthy lifestyle (including getting plenty of sleep) will only help you do better.

Study two weeks in advance of every exam.. you will never pull an all-nighter.. maybe during finals.