Tough Times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goose14

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this may sound a bit like a panic attack, but I hit a pretty bad semester (not failing, but under 3.00, I am in my second year). Just wondering if anyone knows how seriously med schools take this kind of thing. I mean, hopefully this will be the only semester like this, but still, I am a bit worried.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I had 3.0 my second semester sophomore year in college. I didn't even have a good excuse for my performance other than I had decided to retire from a varsity sport, broken up with my boyfriend, and started dating someone new! I was never asked about it at any of my interviews and I've been accepted to three schools.

Don't worry, I have been accepted and I had the same thing happen to me in the Spring quarter of my sophomore year. I actually had a 2.0 (all C's and a Pass, of which I had a C in my last quarter of Physics and Orgo). As long as the bad quarter is a one time thing, you will be fine. You just need to prove to them that you can handle challenging science classes, do well from then on to show that this was not a normal thing, and be prepared to explain what happened because they will immediately wonder. I was advised by an admissions committee person to include what happened my bad quarter in my personal statement. Somehow explain it in a good way and turn it into a positive or a learning experience. At first I was reluctant to include it in my personal statement because I didn't want to talk about anything negative and bring attention to it, but he told me that I should because in case they fail to address the issue in an interview, you don't want to leave the admissions committee guessing and wondering if whatever caused the poor performance will be a problem in the future.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, guys. This really puts my mind to rest (for now, at least). I guess all I have to do now is make sure this doesn't happen again, ha? Hey, I'll try my best.

Thanks again