Tour guides or Big brother

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arsenewenger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What role do tour guides play in the selection process?

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt they play any role. Perhaps if you were a huge jerk to them, they might feel obliged to talk to admissions staff to warn you.

I'm positive that they're not there to secretly rate you and report back to admissions.

What role do tour guides play in the selection process?

Actually, it's a little known fact but tour guides are probably the key to getting into med school. I understand their input on your application counts more than you interviewer's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, it's a little known fact but tour guides are probably the key to getting into med school. I understand their input on your application counts more than you interviewer's.

are you being sarcastic?

i think it varies by school

:laugh: That's just mean.... messing with anxious pre-meds is as easier than beating the Royals.... yea spring training

at most schools, i think the tour guides do not figure into the decision process. that being said, if you went out of your way to make a really negative impression on a tour guide, i wouldn't be surprised if they brought it up with the committee. usually, they reassure us that they're not there to report back to the admissions staff. so, if you have tough questions, feel free to ask them. but i'd err on the side of caution when it comes to racist/sexist jokes or slurs, inappropriate comments, etc. just use common sense.

however, i do know for a fact that at emory, your tour guide is also one of the 3 panelists you will have at your group interviewer. so, their say very much does matter.

as a general rule, just be on your best behavior. i just go in thinking anyone can impact my status there, better safe than sorry.

While they certainly aren't a formal part of the process, it is not unheard of for them to be asked their opinion of any applicants who stood out positively/negatively. You want to keep your game face on for the entire time you are on campus.

Bottom line, don't be a jackass on interview day. Or any other day, for that matter.

I'm a tour guide at my school, and it is as above. We have no say, but if you are a total jackass, and I am having a bad day, I might say something. maybe. I am a laid back guy, but I don't think anyone else would "turn you in" for anything short of completely out of line, either. I actually like it when the interviewees relax a little on the tour, it feels less like I am leading a group of robots or something.

Anyway, this is obviously just one person's opinion from one school, but I would say that anywhere you go just don't be a tool and you will be fine.

Incorrect. Totally incorrect.
What's your inside scoop? I've actually been a tour guide, and no, we don't have any input on the process. If you were insulting to me though, I'd definitely run that past the director of admissions. Otherwise, I wouldn't really care if you were loud/quiet/shy/friendly/etc. Most of the applicants were pretty quiet.

Typically, none. But never underestimate the ability of a foolish applicant to get themselves rejected. The opportunities are limitless!

Members don't see this ad :)
I tour guide as well. I have no input whatsoever into what happens; rude as it may sound, I simply do not remember anyone's name, let alone what they say.

Mention was made to the ad comm about two students - one said he really wanted to fu*k one of the staff, the other said his mother wrote his application essays to my school and babbled on about how he really didn't want to be there. Simply amazing.

dc

I tour guide as well. I have no input whatsoever into what happens; rude as it may sound, I simply do not remember anyone's name, let alone what they say.

Mention was made to the ad comm about two students - one said he really wanted to fu*k one of the staff, the other said his mother wrote his application essays to my school and babbled on about how he really didn't want to be there. Simply amazing.

dc

:eek: Wow. So...crazy mothers do exist. Ridiculous.

At my school (Loyola) we have absolutely no say. It is designed that way so that interviewees can relax, and get to know about the school without feeling like they are being evaluated.

Normally it is a great system I think - although I have had one TOTAL tool that I gave a tour to (obnoxiously rude, demeaning, and borderline crazy) and I REALLY REALLY wanted to say something to somebody on the ADCOM, but I just trust the system will weed this person out.

This applies to residency, but we have a "ranking day" (almost like in the movie "Animal House") where all of the residents get to give their input on applicants. If you act like a jackass at the applicant dinner or during the tour it will come out and it could effect your ranking.

The point is: If you've got nothing to say, don't say it. No points subtracted for being quiet on the tour and not asking any questions of the medical student (or resident) tour guide. I'm a pretty funny guy and talk a lot but even I had the good sense to be low-key on tours and the like.

when i went to tufts for an interview, the tourguides, and med students hanging out w/us in the conference room, made it explicit that they were in no way involved in the selection process, and were not judging/monitoring us..it made me wonder whats going on w/the tourguides at other schools.:confused:

when i went to tufts for an interview, the tourguides, and med students hanging out w/us in the conference room, made it explicit that they were in no way involved in the selection process, and were not judging/monitoring us..it made me wonder whats going on w/the tourguides at other schools.:confused:

I am beginning to think ... that is just BS

Actually , my concern with the effect Tour guides have on the selection process originated after my Tufts interview!.

Its a known fact that at Howard, a couple of the students you meet with during the "lunch with med students" section are on the admissions committee. But that is not the norm for most schools.

Im in charge of tours at NYMC, and I assure you we have no input on admissions. The only time we do is if someone said something condescending or negative about the school during the tour. Besides that we are here to help you get an idea of what the students are like.

at most schools, i think the tour guides do not figure into the decision process. that being said, if you went out of your way to make a really negative impression on a tour guide, i wouldn't be surprised if they brought it up with the committee.

I'm a tour guide. On one occasion we had a student who was rude to other applicants, came across as being better than others, and insulted an attending on a hospital tour. We reported him to the admissions committee and he was immediately rejected.

The point is: If you've got nothing to say, don't say it. No points subtracted for being quiet on the tour and not asking any questions of the medical student (or resident) tour guide.

Very true. I gave a tour today to two interviewees. One was very quiet and polite, while the other constantly interrupted me and wanted to tell other applicant about how our school works. Since I'm at a regional campus on the campus of Florida Atlantic University, I was particularly surprised when she said, "The grad students are your TA's during anatomy? Are they good? I took (post-bac) classes here and the undergraduates are stupid." You can imagine which of the two I would want to come here next year.

I am beginning to think ... that is just BS

Actually , my concern with the effect Tour guides have on the selection process originated after my Tufts interview!.

haha..i know me tooo..the thought never crossed my mind before that...:D