Touro, CA class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder what others are doing about housing. Vallejo, Benicia, or have you found places on Mare Island?

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder what others are doing about housing. Vallejo, Benicia, or have you found places on Mare Island?

I'm considering Benicia, Glen Cove, and other places near campus. Maybe I'll take a drive around the neighboring cities to get a first hand feel. I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow CO 2013 classmates. See you in August. :)

Yeah, I'm wondering the same. Been warned about staying in Vallejo, so gotta look around for something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Living on Mare Island is a great option. 1 min drive to classes (you will NOT take that for granted when you have morning labs at 8am), plus you are only a short drive to the shopping centers, Napa, and SF.

I am a first year and I plan on living here next year as well. The island student community is quite happy living here.

I'm a first year and I live in Benicia- its about a 20 minute drive. This is a cute, quiet, safe town with a few great restaurants and lots of history. I live with my boyfriend and my half of the rent is $685 per month for a 2 bedroom 1.25 bath (the .25 is a sink in the master bedroom). Its probably even lower now because they are having trouble filling the apartments with tenants. Our complex is called club pacifica- pm me for more details :)

I'm a first year living in the Berkeley area... and I thought I would share my experience living here and commuting to school. The fastest I've driven it is in 28 minutes.. I like to get to class a few minutes early, so I usually leave at 7:15/7:20am for my 8am classes. Part of the reason I have a shorter drive is because I live pretty close to the highway 80's exit (near Ashby Ave)! If you live further "inland" into Berkeley you may need to add some more time.

There are enough of us here so people have set up carpools. In my experience, the drive in the morning flies by chatting and decompressing (or venting!) about the day.

Since I live so close to the highway, I can get into San Fran in 12 minutes! YES... no lie :) I'm not a fan of taking the BART b/c I find it to be a bit expensive, so I usually drive in with friends!

For those who would like to experience a bit of the Bay area (part of the reason I chose to come to Touro) I highly recommend the Berkeley/Emeryville area. It helps to get out of the medschool bubble and experience the outside world a little!

The CONS: you won't be seconds from campus! Once I leave, I'm back home for the day...! There is a toll $4 (if you have a 3 person carpool - its FREE).. and I think in the grand scheme of medical school costs, toll is nothing compared to a little extra culture :D

Goodluck on making your decisions!

I'm excited to find out about the projects that Touro is planning. I hope they all pass and development begins asap. What does everyone else think? Can any current students share their thoughts? Thanks. Check out the developmental plans here http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=119&page=1021

Hi all! I just got accepted into Touro and will be moving to California from Washington. I'm looking for a roomate or two (female only) to share a condo/apartment close to school or withing a short driving distance. I'll be graduating in June from University of Washington in Seattle and moving down around the end of July before schools. I'm a non-smoker, clean, and responsible roomate (just ask my current ones now!) and easy to get along with.

Since I'm from out-of-state, I'm hoping to drive down in March during Spring break to look at housing, sign a lease, etc. If you're interested in looking for a place together, please either message me or email me at [email protected]!!

I'm sooo excited that I just got accepted to Touro-CA!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to alleviate some of this debt that we're going into? I'm looking around at scholarships and am just wondering if anyone has any STATs about the % of people who get the NHSC scholarships and loan repayments. I am definitely interested in primary care, and am really interested in Touro, but am worried about the cost. Any input?

for those of you looking into housing, I own home in Benicia that I am considering leasing out to students. Its a 3bed/2bath. This is in a very nice community, so if you're looking into piling a bunch of students into one house, this is not it. However, if you want a short commute to school and not live in Vallejo and can get two other roomates, PM me and I'll provide you with more information.

Congrats on all of your acceptances. I think you will be very pleased with your decision to attend Touro.

I know it's a bit early, but I wanted to start planning my schedule. Does anyone know what the class schedule is like for a first year?

I'm a first year at Touro-CA. You can download it here. Select "COM 2012 weekly schedule for the Fall of 2008".

If you'd like to get started, I'd say start on biochem. We pretty much cover it all in the first 2 weeks, so it's pretty fast paced. Then it might also be a good idea to start with anatomy flash cards of the "back". This way, you already recognized the names, which is half the battle, and all you need to do is link it to the parts on the cadaver. The first semester is mostly identifying. Clinical questions begin in the second semester. And if you're bored, honing your tactile senses may prepare you for OMM. Grab any object, close your eyes, and feel the subtle changes in the texture, etc.

That being said, do have fun or learn/experience something new before school starts. As med students, we cherish every single free time we get.

If you have any questions, you can PM me. I might be slow in getting back to you since our block 2 exams start this Friday, but I'll try my best. And Congrats to all of you on getting in.

I know it's a bit early, but I wanted to start planning my schedule. Does anyone know what the class schedule is like for a first year?

I'm a first year at Touro-CA. You can download it here. Select "COM 2012 weekly schedule for the Fall of 2008".

If you'd like to get started, I'd say start on biochem. We pretty much cover it all in the first 2 weeks, so it's pretty fast paced. Then it might also be a good idea to start with anatomy flash cards of the "back". This way, you already recognized the names, which is half the battle, and all you need to do is link it to the parts on the cadaver. The first semester is mostly identifying. Clinical questions begin in the second semester. And if you're bored, honing your tactile senses may prepare you for OMM. Grab any object, close your eyes, and feel the subtle changes in the texture, etc.

That being said, do have fun or learn/experience something new before school starts. As med students, we cherish every single free time we get.

If you have any questions, you can PM me. I might be slow in getting back to you since our block 2 exams start this Friday, but I'll try my best. And Congrats to all of you on getting in.

Thank you!

Anyone else here doing the MPH program?

I'm excited to find out about the projects that Touro is planning. I hope they all pass and development begins asap. What does everyone else think? Can any current students share their thoughts? Thanks. Check out the developmental plans here http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=119&page=1021

Message sent on behalf of Dr. Michael Harter

Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students:

I am writing as a follow-up to last week’s email about changes in campus personnel and suspending all planning and development on the North End Project. I want to assure you that the decision not to move forward at this time with developing another campus on Mare Island was carefully considered at several levels in the Touro administration. There is a strong belief that during this economic downturn, we need to focus on economic stability and improving the quality of our TUC and TUN educational programs as we clearly stated in our November 2008 WASC site visit.

The administrative unit responsible for the physical plant, food service and campus space development and planning will function under the able direction Mr. Jay Ritchie who knows every building on campus and has provided outstanding and dedicated leadership for facilities maintenance, rehabilitation, and development. Mr. Ritchie and his staff have all our highest trust and confidence. Their competence was recently demonstrated with the rapid conversion of Wilderman Hall and the further development of Farragut Inn as a better educational facility.

The financial stability of the TUC and TUN campuses is strong and that strength is further secured at this time by not continuing expenditures on development outside the 44 acres of the main Mare Island campus. The winter and spring have brought good reports from accrediting agencies for our programs and we anticipate success later this spring for the public health program. We are working with Touro’s professional lobbyist, with consultants, and with faculty to investigate Touro’s possible access to Recovery Act funds with a particular focus on research construction as encouraged by several of our accrediting agencies. We are also working to identify possible government program funds toward finishing H89 as a classroom facility.

While many of us are hearing from family and friends about the financial turmoil that surrounds us, TUC is really in good shape. We will continue to work with our TUN colleagues to progress in our strategic plans and achieve the goals we have set for ourselves.

Sincerely,

Dr. Michael Harter
Senior Provost and CEO
Touro Western Division

Check out a touro talent show performance featuring Vallejo native, Skittles.

Aside: for those interested in recent residency matches by Touro-CA students, check out the residency match under "Osteopathy" forum, page 3.

Touro University - California COM 2013

Search this on facebook and join the group!

Hey guys,

I heard Benicia is a safe/nice area. I'll probably move there. Are any of you MPH/DO students and taking courses over the summer?

Sabrina

I seem to have lost that piece of paper with all the things we need to submit before we enroll, like health insurance, immunizations, transcripts etc...
I couldnt find it on their website either. Does anybody know how to get a copy of that list?

I noticed there is a basic life saving class around the second week of class. Is this a CPR/First aid class, if we are currently certified can we skip this?

I noticed there is a basic life saving class around the second week of class. Is this a CPR/First aid class, if we are currently certified can we skip this?

Wouldn't that be sweet. . .maybe you can call the school?

Hi guys,

I am trying to locate a couple email addresses so I can send thank you emails to my interviewers. Does anyone have the address for Dr. Hermel and Dr. Strebel? Thank you very much.

glen cove and benicia are nice places to live. the island is probably best though since the drive from glen cove/benicia will take at least 15 min in the morning, but it is a pleasant trip.

also anyone that hasn't already gotten supplies ready its a good time to start. i happen to have a new littmann master cardiology i'm trying to get rid of $150 delivered to your door :laugh:

good luck to the incoming classes.

glen cove and benicia are nice places to live. the island is probably best though since the drive from glen cove/benicia will take at least 15 min in the morning, but it is a pleasant trip.

Is there traffic? Or is it 15 min with no traffic? Either way that's a super short commute compared to the 1hr+ I am used to.:D

Hey everyone -

I will probably be living more south in the east bay -
I'm not sure where I will be living yet, my boyfriend works in San Jose, and we are currently living in Fremont, but we will probably move closer to the middle/north of the middle of the two cities this summer.

I was wondering if there is anyone that's currently living further or will be living further away that might be interested in carpooling?

I'm a first year and from what I remember and asking friends, I believe it's mandatory. I have to say though, I've forgotten all the steps already, other than "You, call 911, and you, get the AED!"...haha

You can find their email addresses here

I'm interested in your impression of these two professors, as I know some of them during interviews are very different from their true personality. :laugh:
Hi guys,

I am trying to locate a couple email addresses so I can send thank you emails to my interviewers. Does anyone have the address for Dr. Hermel and Dr. Strebel? Thank you very much.

It's about 20min realistically, but it would also depend how close you are to the freeway. Traffic isn't bad, but most of the drive is local. The freeway becomes local. You can give Google street maps a try.

Is there traffic? Or is it 15 min with no traffic? Either way that's a super short commute compared to the 1hr+ I am used to.:D

I know that several second year students carpool from Pleasanton, and it's about an hour commute. Most students in our class that commute more than 40min live mostly in Berkeley, Emeryville, SF area. You might look into Pleasanton or San Ramon...it's about half way between Touro and San Jose.

Hey everyone -

I will probably be living more south in the east bay -
I'm not sure where I will be living yet, my boyfriend works in San Jose, and we are currently living in Fremont, but we will probably move closer to the middle/north of the middle of the two cities this summer.

I was wondering if there is anyone that's currently living further or will be living further away that might be interested in carpooling?

Congrats everyone who's going to TUCOM CA for 2013. I wanted to ask some quick advice about those who are accepted in that what they felt made them stand out during the interview process compared to the rest of the candidates in terms of during the interview process that got them a quick acceptance. Thanks for the advice. I'm a noob to the whole SDN forums so any info is appreciated. :)

Hey all,

Congrats to your admission to TUCA! I am a soon to be 4th year student. I wanted to give a recommendation for Pizza from a small business owner in the area - Sunset Pizza. I found the place when doing laundry next to the restaurant. Its owned by a little Italian family. They are struggling for business right now. I decided to try the pizza and it was awesome!!!

I know that several second year students carpool from Pleasanton, and it's about an hour commute. Most students in our class that commute more than 40min live mostly in Berkeley, Emeryville, SF area. You might look into Pleasanton or San Ramon...it's about half way between Touro and San Jose.

Thanks Bliksem!!!

Hi 2013ers,
I am a 2012 student at TUCOM right now. I live in a house 10 mins from school and am looking for somebody who would like to sublet a room in it...for summer MPH courses, or just to have a place for a few months while looking around for a residence for the coming school year. If interested, please email:
[email protected]
Thanks.
Hamid A.

Hey Class of 2013,

Congrats on getting accepted. you guys will definitely enjoy your time here at touro. I think the camaraderie you have between your classmates is awesome. I'm going to be a third year soon and I need two more people to rent out my house on mare island. Here are the details

Mare Island home with 5 bedrooms and 3 full baths.
currently 3 soon to be second year DO's living here. Two more bedrooms available.

- Master bedroom 20x13?? with huge walk-in closet and bathroom - 900/month
- Downstairs bedroom 12x12?? - 650/month
What's included in the rent? gas, water, electricity, garbage and internet

Very close to school - 1 mile (on mare island)

- Fully furnished with full/queen size beds in the bedrooms. Just bring your clothes and books.

- includes well lit and spacious study room with large office table and sofas in the family room. weight lifting bench, and more.
- 2 car garage
- two large refrigerators
- a/c heat, washer and dryer
- safe and quiet neighborhood

Please email me if you are interested. [email protected]

Thanks,

Eric Giang

If any incoming 1st years want inputs about:
- moving to California from other states, particularly Pennsylvania , and all that is involved with that relocation
- coming with a significant other who would need to find work
- Finding housing and organizing a carpool from the East Bay (Berkeley)
- Tolls, traffic, carpool lanes, public transportation from Berkeley to Vallejo (not a reasonable option by the way)

Please let me know in a personal message.
Hope I can help!!

School is amazing, and I hope you guys are getting pumped. Enjoy the summertime first and foremost. But . . if you are itching to get started like I was, I suggest you review your biochem and anatomy of the back, that's what we got hit with first.

Hello everyone,
Congratulations to those who have been accepted like myself and are preparing to start school in the fall. In collaboration with some faculty members and senior students I have created a google group for the class of 2013.

If you are accepted and are going to attend, please email me: [email protected].

After verifying your enrollment I will send you an invitation to join the group. I highly recommend doing so, because there is going to be important information shared by faculty and the class together on there.

Thank you,
AS

Hi class of 2013! Congrats on being accepted to Touro.

I'm looking to sublet my place starting at the beginning of June (perfect for Touro students, especially for those participating in the DO/Pharm/MPH program). My lease ends in July, so you can do a month-to-month rental contract with the landlady.

It is a 3-bed, 1-bath home just a short 7 minute drive away from Touro. Two stories with beds and bath on the second floor. Hardwood floor through out, the home is pet friendly with a beautiful garden with a great view of the Napa River. There's a basement for storage. Washer and Dryer included. The living room has a gas fireplace. You can go to this website to view the place:

http://www.box.net/shared/gftla6qv47

The sublet will be for $1550 for the month of June. You can negotiate with the landlady afterwards for your month-to-month contract. She's very nice, flexible and understanding. Please call or email me if you're interested.
E: [email protected]
P: 714. 726.5091

Andrew

Hey everyone!
I have decided to rent a room in Vallejo for this next year. I have found a great house... not on the island, but right next to the island, a great location! It's very nice and has a small backyard. Pets are allowed if you have them (I might bring a chocolate lab). It's a very nice house 3bed/2ba, if anyone is interested in rooming with me. I won't be there a lot, so master bedroom is up for dibs. Total rent is $1450, so I was thinking maybe 525 for master, split the rest for other 2 rooms? But we can talk about that later... The lease starts 8/1 which is perfect timing. PM if you are interested!

Hi Guys,

I am currently a 1st yr pharmacy student at Touro and live on the island in a house. I have 2 rooms available for rent.

You get your own room and bathroom. Rent for one room is 650 and the other is 600. Utilities (water, electricity, garbage, maintenance) are included!! High speed internet access is included in the rent as well! It's literally a 2 minute drive to school.
I love living on the island as its one of the few safe places in vallejo. I'm sure you guys have heard about the major issues the city has with crime. You can start paying rent in August (usually the houses on the island require you to start paying in July).

I'm pretty easy going and usually busy studying (you guys are going to quite busy as well)....there are no major rules in the house. I'm just looking someone who is clean, quiet, cleans after themselves...does not have parties in the house. Females only and no pets please.

If interested, please email me asap (since we're gonna be done soon and I'm gonna be going home) with a short intro and your contact info/phone #.

Thanks. :)

ROOMMATE NEEDED:

Location of Property: 174 Nantucket Lane

Distance from Touro Campus: 3 miles

Number of Bedrooms: 2, you get your own bedroom

Number of Baths: 2, you get your own bathroom

Interior Amenities: I have a lot of furniture in the living-room we can share!

Exterior Amenities: Water view balcony, large livingroom, washer’dryer, spacious, quite, safe gated, parking space/garage, must see, need a roommate ASAP.

Date Available: June

Rent: $650

Utilities Included: FREE: Water, sewage, cable TV, unlocked internet wireless

Length of Lease: One year

Contact Information: Babak Fatirian, [email protected]

I'm a first year and from what I remember and asking friends, I believe it's mandatory. I have to say though, I've forgotten all the steps already, other than "You, call 911, and you, get the AED!"...haha
hahaha that's all I remember too, oh and the 100 compression per minute part. Anyways, I remember that you CAN skip it if you're certified. Just let them know ahead of time.

hahaha that's all I remember too, oh and the 100 compression per minute part. Anyways, I remember that you CAN skip it if you're certified. Just let them know ahead of time.

I stand corrected then. Enjoy your summer, and don't stress...yet. They're kind to you for the first semester, then they take it to a whole 'nother level! :laugh:

That would be great if we can skip it...does the CPR certification have to be for the professional rescuer, or just Adult/child/infant?

I stand corrected then. Enjoy your summer, and don't stress...yet. They're kind to you for the first semester, then they take it to a whole 'nother level! :laugh:
I'm in your class, foo:D
How did you do on block 3? The renal and pulmonary exams were like dayammmm.