Touro, CA class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are people that want to be able to roll out of bed and be right at school so they like to live on the island.
There are plenty who live off the island in Vallejo and they are still close... many bike. Then there are 2 people who have been known to kayak!
Plenty of people commute from Napa, Berkeley Walnut Creek, but mostly a short ride to Benicia or Glen Cove is taken.
Living on the island, you have to travel to get to anything and many seem to get stir crazy from being on the island so much (school, afterschool, etc.)
Others like to drive a few minutes to school and be close to food, markets, water, whatever.
Sure there are bad parts of Vallejo, but most is safe and it's usually pretty obvious which parts those are.

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed there is a basic life saving class around the second week of class. Is this a CPR/First aid class, if we are currently certified can we skip this?

The school needs to be sure that you remain certified. They may have made a couple exceptions in the past, but I wouldn't be surprised if they said no. Think about how hard it is to be sure all are current if we all have different certification dates?

The school needs to be sure that you remain certified. They may have made a couple exceptions in the past, but I wouldn't be surprised if they said no. Think about how hard it is to be sure all are current if we all have different certification dates?

One more thought on that... dismal rates of CPR & ACLS success is because most people (especially doctors) suck at CPR... (See any research by Ben Abella at UPenn or oh so many others).... So, I'm sure you can use the practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi incoming Touro students!

Congratulations on your acceptance. I am a touro student and have one room available for rent in a new house on Mare Island. The room comes with your own bathroom and utilities (water, electricity, garbage, etc) are included in the rent! The room also come with a queen bed. It's a 3 minute drive to school. If needed, you can move your stuff in early before school starts.
No pets and females only please.

If interested, please reply with a brief intro.

Thanks

During the interview day Dr.Haight mentioned that there a few things one needs to do before classes begin.The ones I remember are:

1. FAFSA
2. Get a physical
3. Immunizations

Are there other things I'm not listing? I'm currently on the waitlist but would like to be prepared for school if I get called off the waitlist.

Hi incoming Touro students!

Congratulations on your acceptance. I am a touro student and have one room available for rent in a new house on Mare Island. The room comes with your own bathroom and utilities (water, electricity, garbage, etc) are included in the rent! The room also come with a queen bed. It's a 3 minute drive to school. If needed, you can move your stuff in early before school starts.
No pets and females only please.

If interested, please reply with a brief intro.

Thanks

Hey TUP2, I'm going to be a first year at TUCOM and am looking for places to live on the island. Do you have any additional info about the place (rent, pics, etc..)?

Hey everyone,

I'm a 4th year student living in a studio in Vallejo. Its not the prettiest place (inside of the unit is nicer than the outside of the building) but it has worked out well and is pretty secure. I am planning on staying in my unit this year and would like to have a Touro student living in the open studio unit next to me as it is a better bet that you will be a good neighbor than having my landlord find some random Vallejo person. The unit is open as soon as possible and for a Touro student I'm sure my landlord would hold the unit until July 1st at least (she likes Touro students).
Rent is VERY reasonable and includes shared cable and internet. Also when I moved in they only required a 3 month lease so if you don't like it you are not stuck.
The landlord's number is 415-921-7622 (Karla). You can also email me with Qs at [email protected].

Let me join in on this pseudo-housing list.

First, don't listen to people who bash living on the island. I lived there the first year and I have signed for another year as well. Actually, its quite the opposite experience for me. Not only do I love living on the island, its actually quite "serenic." Also, there is a house across the street that has 2 OMS-II that used to live off the island now moving to live on the island. I know of 2 houses of students that lived off of the island that are now moving to the island as well.

If you live in Vallejo, Benicia, Napa you have to get used to driving regardless. Living on the island adds 3 minutes to your off-island commutes. However, you save way more than that when you factor in driving to class. You dont have to waste time on the bridge or try to make excuses when your late to OMM or Doctoring labs at 8am. It takes 1 minute for me to drive to school. Can't beat that! Plus we have some great parties on the island toooooooo.

Ok so heres my house on the island. Its a 4 bedroom house with 2.5 baths. Im in the master bedroom and a VERY QUIET pharmacy student is in one of the other bedrooms. The 2 remaining bedrooms are going for 700 bucks/month including ALL UTILITIES and share 1.5 baths.

Mind you, we got some awesome furniture both inside and patio stuff too.

If you are interested let me know, Ill send you pics!

****LOWERED RENT****
Large 2-Story House on Mare Island perfect for Touro Students
Minutes away from campus, close to freeways, amazing views!
Close to golf course, hiking trails, Heritage Park, outdoor patio, and landscaped yards
Corner lot w/ plenty of parking in front! 2 fireplaces
Tile flooring in kitchen w/granite countertops, refrigerator, etc
Carpeted bedrooms & each has a ceiling fan and ample closet space
Lots of storage areas, and downstairs has office areas
Laundry room with washer and dryer; Dual zone central heat and AC

AVAILABLE: August 1st 2009
4 Bedrooms; 2 ½ Bathrooms

1 Master Suite w/ Large Master Bathroom: $800
1 bedroom w/ walk-in closet: $650
1 bedroom w/regular closet: $625
1 bedroom w/regular closet: $625
**Special Group Rate Available**
Must sign 1 year lease; need 1 month's rent as security deposit
Water, Garbage, Sewer INCLUDED

Last edited:
Congrats and Welcome to the class of 2013! I'm from the class of 2010 and I still have all of my books but I don't think I'll be needing them anymore for clinical rotations. If anyone is interested in books and lives in the Bay Area I am willing to sell all of them for a bargain.... Please contact me at [email protected]

Enjoy the rest of your summers!

Hi everyone,

Im going to be a 1st yr DO student and I am looking for a 3rd (female) roommate for a beautiful 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom house on Mare Island. Please email me if interested [email protected].

Thanks!

Gorgeous & Convenient 3 bed/2 bath

Two 1st year OMS are looking for a 3rd male roommate ASAP. ($600/month for own room & shared bathroom - All utilities included) This house is fully furnished! Just bring your bed and food. No need to hassle with trying to buy or bring your own fridge, washer/dryer, pots or pans.

If interested, please contact us today, it is urgent. Attilio [email protected] (773) 860-7637 OR Robert [email protected] (626) 327-0120

Check out the neighborhood: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
*For picture requests, email Attilio

Interior Amenities:
• Nine foot ceilings lovely breezes and lots of windows.
• All common areas a furnished and some bed room furnishings available except beds.
• Fully Equipped kitchen; Microwave, Dishwasher, pots pans plates etc. just add food.-Laundry room with new high efficiency washer and dryer, iron with board.
• Downstairs, 50” flat screen, DVD and Stereo
• Upstairs well lit, 4 person Study station with computer,
• Dual zone central heat and Air
• Fully wired house with wireless internet

Exterior Amenities:
• HOT TUB, Outdoor kitchen with built in
• natural gas BBQ, landscaped with unbelievable
• View (Just E-mail for Pics) [email protected]
No pets, No smoking

Location of Property:
Ashwell Way, Vallejo on the 18th hole Hiddenbrooke Golf Coarse.
This IS the safest and quietest neighborhood around, I know I’ve lived in Benicia, Glen Cove and Hiddenbrook.

Distance to Touro Campus: 11 miles, ~ 17 mins

Utilities Included: All utilities included (Gas, Electric, Water, Sewer, Trash, + High speed internet (just add a bed and ready to move in)

Length of Lease: Month to month

After getting the long list of required texts, I was wondering if any current students wished they had not purchaced any of them/ hardly used any of them?

If you can post the list, I think I can help you out with which books to get. I can understand because I have books that I've only used a couple of times.

After getting the long list of required texts, I was wondering if any current students wished they had not purchaced any of them/ hardly used any of them?

yeah, post the list and I can show you which one I USED instead of not used. It's faster that way, :laugh:

Here it is: Red are required, blue are rec.

Dorland’s Illustrated Medical Dictionary by W.A.N. Dorland (ed.)
or
Stedman’s Medical Dictionary by T.L. Stedman (ed.)
Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, Katzung, Bertram G.
Color Atlas of Histology, Gartner, L.P., Hiatt, J.L.

Color Textbook of Histology: with Student Consult Online Access (paperback), Gartner, L.P., Hiatt, J.L.,
This is especially necessary for students who did not major in a biological science. It offers a nice combination of histology and physiology.
Fundamental Anatomy, Hartwig This will be your primary embryology text and the introduction to anatomy that will begin your curriculum in August. You will be reading it in the first week of the semester and then selectively in the Integrated Systems courses that follow in the next three semesters.
Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine
Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry, Champe, P.C.
Robbins Basic Pathology, Kumar, Vinay / Abbas, Abul K.ey L. / Fausto, Nelson
Textbook of Medical Physiology, Guyton, A.C. Hall, J.E.
Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System. Text with Internet Access Code for Integrated Website, Abbas, A.K.

Medical Microbiology, 17th Edition - A Guide to Microbial Infections: Pathogenesis, Immunity, Laboratory Diagnosis and Control, Greenwood, D., Slack, R.C., Peutherer, J.F., and Barer, M.R.

Robbins and Cotran Atlas of Pathology, Klatt, E.
Color Atlas of Pathology, Riede, U.N.
Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology, Klatt, E.
Human Body: An Introduction to Structure and Function, Faller, A. This book is highly recommended for students who did not major in a biological science. It is a valuable read prior to arriving on campus and during the first week of instruction
Microbiology: Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews, Harvey, R.A.
Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Levinson, W.

Study Guide to Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Hebel , J.R.
Mosby’s Guide to Physical Examination, Seidel et al
Surface Anatomy : The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Examination, Lumley, John S. P.
The Only EKG Book You’ll Ever Need, Thaler, M.S.
Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy, 2009, Gilbert, D. N. (Paperback)
Tarascon Pharmacopoeia 2009: Shirt Pocket Edition, (Paperback)
Maxwell Quick Medical Reference, Maxwell, R.
Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers, Student Manual

Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment, DiGiovanna, E.L.
Problem Solving in Clinical Medicine from Data to Diagnosis, Cutler, P.
Fundamentals of Clinical Practice, Mengel, M.B.

Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine, Ward, R.C.
Atlas of Osteopathic Techniques, Nicholas, A.S.
Atlas of Anatomy, Gilroy, A.M.

Surface Anatomy : The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Examination, Lumley, J.S.

Here it is: Red are required, blue are rec.

Dorland’s Illustrated Medical Dictionary by W.A.N. Dorland (ed.)
or
Stedman’s Medical Dictionary by T.L. Stedman (ed.)
Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, Katzung, Bertram G.
Color Atlas of Histology, Gartner, L.P., Hiatt, J.L.

Color Textbook of Histology: with Student Consult Online Access (paperback), Gartner, L.P., Hiatt, J.L.,
This is especially necessary for students who did not major in a biological science. It offers a nice combination of histology and physiology.
Fundamental Anatomy, Hartwig This will be your primary embryology text and the introduction to anatomy that will begin your curriculum in August. You will be reading it in the first week of the semester and then selectively in the Integrated Systems courses that follow in the next three semesters.
Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine
Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System. Text with Internet Access Code for Integrated Website, Abbas, A.K.

Medical Microbiology, 17th Edition - A Guide to Microbial Infections: Pathogenesis, Immunity, Laboratory Diagnosis and Control, Greenwood, D., Slack, R.C., Peutherer, J.F., and Barer, M.R.

Robbins and Cotran Atlas of Pathology, Klatt, E.
Color Atlas of Pathology, Riede, U.N.
Human Body: An Introduction to Structure and Function, Faller, A. This book is highly recommended for students who did not major in a biological science. It is a valuable read prior to arriving on campus and during the first week of instruction
Microbiology: Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews, Harvey, R.A.
Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Levinson, W.

Study Guide to Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Hebel , J.R.
Surface Anatomy : The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Examination, Lumley, John S. P.
The Only EKG Book You’ll Ever Need, Thaler, M.S.
Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy, 2009, Gilbert, D. N. (Paperback)
Tarascon Pharmacopoeia 2009: Shirt Pocket Edition, (Paperback)
Maxwell Quick Medical Reference, Maxwell, R.
Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers, Student Manual

Problem Solving in Clinical Medicine from Data to Diagnosis, Cutler, P.
Fundamentals of Clinical Practice, Mengel, M.B.

Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine, Ward, R.C.
Atlas of Anatomy, Gilroy, A.M.

Surface Anatomy : The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Examination, Lumley, J.S.

These are the only books I really used off of your list. I regrettably bought a few of the others and never ended up using them. Many of the books are available online through the library so you can look something up if you need to. In terms of your EKG book, lots of people in the class liked that one, but I preferred Rapid Interpretation of EKG's by Dubin. The school doesn't recommend his book anymore (I think there is something weird about his past), but it's a great reference. Check with your big sib to see what books he/she has and can loan you. The $ add up really fast!

Good luck!

Color Atlas of Histology
, Gartner, L.P., Hiatt, J.L.

Fundamental Anatomy

I would appreciate any feedback from students accepted or already attending TU in California? I have a Ph.D. and am a clinical faculty at an allopathic medical school. My overall undergraduate gpa was 3.3 (science 3.2) and my overall graduate gpa was 3.9 and I took a lot of advanced statistics, multivariate statistics coursework in grad school (all with A or A+)... I have over 4 years of clinical experience, including 3 years of fullt-time clinical experience...
I am currently thinking about applying to TU's MSMHS program to increase my chances of acceptance given that I am 35 and have completed my pre-med courses in late 1990s. Do you think that this would be helpful to my application for a DO admissions at TU.
I would appreciate any advice on what TU looks for in terms of MCAT, GPA, clinical experiences, etc... Any advice would be greatelly appreciated!

If you're going to do a master's do it at a real school (I did mine @ georgetown, but classmates have done it drexel as well). I can't believe touro started this program here. It's a way for them to just make money. The classes aren't competitive to compare to M1's. Other programs make you take classes alongside first year students, which is a better comparison for adcom's. Aside from that, if your MCAT is competitive, recent, and you haven't taken it an excessive amount of times, you should just apply to the first year COM class. Also, make sure you have some recent volunteering.

-TUCOM OMS2

I would appreciate any feedback from students accepted or already attending TU in California? I have a Ph.D. and am a clinical faculty at an allopathic medical school. My overall undergraduate gpa was 3.3 (science 3.2) and my overall graduate gpa was 3.9 and I took a lot of advanced statistics, multivariate statistics coursework in grad school (all with A or A+)... I have over 4 years of clinical experience, including 3 years of fullt-time clinical experience...
I am currently thinking about applying to TU's MSMHS program to increase my chances of acceptance given that I am 35 and have completed my pre-med courses in late 1990s. Do you think that this would be helpful to my application for a DO admissions at TU.
I would appreciate any advice on what TU looks for in terms of MCAT, GPA, clinical experiences, etc... Any advice would be greatelly appreciated!

I am in the process of finishing my MPH & am a COM student here at TUCA. The corsework was not what I was expecting, perhaps because I was coming from a science background, but I think also because the program is still in the new stage. I basicly chose to go this route because the school was close enough for me to comute to & hoped it would help me get into the med school & i figured if i didn't get in I would at least have an MPH to help with job hunting. However, if you are really interested in the MPH aspect I would encourage you to explore more established programs as well.